Preview Round 20 v Hawthorn - 150th Anniversary celebration game

Remove this Banner Ad

Jed was poor last week: couldn’t get near the ball and was well down on physicality and tackling (by his lofty standards). Reckon this makes him much hungrier in future, good move.

Jed was poor last week: couldn’t get near the ball and was well down on physicality and tackling (by his lofty standards). Reckon this makes him much hungrier in future, good move.

He had more possessions than Higgins, Ziebell and Simpkin didn't he?

Good move to mix it up in the midfield - we have been destroyed in there over the past couple of weeks and we need a new mix in there.

Any of Cunners, JZ or Jed were ripe for demotion - we can't keep going with those 3 in the middle - one of them is enough; two to much and all 3 just ridiculous. It's the biggest weakness in our structure now (and has been for a long while).

I'm not too sure why people on here are saying 'he must be injured..there is no way you would drop Jed'.

He has been dropped - he will play 2's - move along. If he plays well and JZ and Cunners continue to spud it up then he will eventually take their spot.

It's good selection policy and we need more of it.

Quicker? They're -29 in clearances over the past three weeks. And you reckon you know football? Christ.

I understand it on a level you can't.

There's limitations in our side against certain teams, that no arm chair reclining, magnetic board jerking, internet waffler can overcome.

Good move to mix it up in the midfield - we have been destroyed in there over the past couple of weeks and we need a new mix in there.

Any of Cunners, JZ or Jed were ripe for demotion - we can't keep going with those 3 in the middle - one of them is enough; two to much and all 3 just ridiculous. It's the biggest weakness in our structure now (and has been for a long while).

I'm not too sure why people on here are saying 'he must be injured..there is no way you would drop Jed'.

He has been dropped - he will play 2's - move along. If he plays well and JZ and Cunners continue to spud it up then he will eventually take their spot.

It's good selection policy and we need more of it.

Drop Cunnington?

Seriously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His problem is that he is usually "bad" in key moments. A slipped tackle. Goal. Dropped mark. Goal. Clanger kick or errant handball. Goal.

That's true but like many other whipping boys before him, he's not the only one who does it and he doesn't do it as often as people think. And when he does get stuff right no one notices cos its not the spectacular sort of things other players do. He runs back with the flight and takes marks all the time. Mostly there isn't a pack coming but he doesn't know that. Sometimes there is and he gets smashed and doesn't flinch or whinge or anything, just gets on with the game. For example.

His tackling is s**t house tho. Its so bad it stands out. He really needs a dedicated tackling coach for this pre season. He's okay chasing and tackling, just, but he has no idea what to do if he's not chasing a slower player.

This is the last game of the year that was clumps of years. Would have been a busy week for Shaw. He is not putting prints on anything this week.

At an educated guess he would have told the board what kind of players he will let go and what he wants. This week seems to be the last of 'Brad Scott's gameplan with little tweaks'. I trust that he has his own philosophy. If he does not, the board have been hood-winked (as have most of us).

I could be wrong but I put no store in selection for the rest of the year other than the players on the list that are fit and don't get played are probably Gonski. I think the philosophy to win will be installed by increments in the coming weeks. I don't think it will fully bloom until round 1 2020.

This week is still caretaker coach.

I (and probably no one on here) saw him coach NEAFL. Weak league but two flags in a row under instructions from above (ie limited minutes, new positions). I am almost certain we will have a new VFL coach (though not inner scrote), who should be one of the coaches that bothered to go for the top job.

No point banging on about Macmillan or Turner.

As one of the greatest coaches of the 1990s said:
The crow that sits on an oxen can fly away if the earth moves too slow.

Might have fluffed that from memory. Still, patience is the confirmation that you are not a toddler. (Not referring to any poster). Or as the Mongolians say: yak milk needs to sit in the elements to become sweet. Can't be bothered to look up the reference.

Back to watching the tiny planes waiting to land on the screen from my tower for me. So much congestion! I'm glad some people are finally talking about infrastructure in space.

Rhys Shaw needs some space

This is why I never tend to get involved in the regular Thursday night hand-wringing session.

No matter how astute our observations, there is a huge chunk of intel that we aren't privvy to. We can draw on our knowledge of the game to make relatively informed judgements on how a player is traveling, but the devil is in the detail. Players are regularly given instructions/KPI's/s**t to work on/etc that most posters have no (inside) knowledge of. Not to mention the many, in-depth tactical discussions held between the coaching staff throughout the week. Fair bet that some selection decisions that seem a little baffling on the face of it, may seem a lot less so if people were better informed on the aforementioned intel.

Which is fine - that's the essence of this forum. But at the same time it's worth staying mindful of the above. To that end, saying "others have been worse than Jed, why weren't they dropped?" is a tad simplistic for mine.

(Of course it may turn out that he was just rested. But again, to further reinforce my point, most posters don't even know that much.)

Strange how you weren't so reasonable with selection under BS.

I’m guilty lol

probably because brad only dropped the same players over his 10 year stint. Took him a entire year of absolute garbage from Goldy only to be forced to play in the VFL

Shaw has already played JMac in the VFL, seems to drop some under performing players (Jed is one of them yes) and he’s only been here for weeks.

Now am I saying our captain should have been dropped over Jed based on performance? Probably not. But at least we are seeing some change on the selection table. Maybe he’s taking a risk? The midfield mix is not working? He expects our captain to lift?

Our cupboard is bare atm and we can’t go making 5-6 changes where as before we had players dominating in the VFL and wouldn’t get a look in because Brad never played them over his favourites

You’re right though, I think it could definitely be some vented up resentment from Bard lol but * me we should put our trust in Shaw for now and see how he goes, nothing wrong with that

Exactly this. Who the fu** is going to replace him? Lol

Heaps of fun will just rejig a few things and our entire existing midfield will be instantly 5 metres faster.

He’s looked to be labouring a bit so I suspect they’re literally resting him.
Why not simply say "rested" then?
No player wants to read "Omitted" next to his name, if he can help it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back