Review Round 20 v West Coast Eagles @ Metricon, Sunday 31/7, 1:10

Remove this Banner Ad

Just terrible
I have a few "non-sporty" friend who textd me to say
"Good win"
WTF?
Best you could say is we didn't lose
Our bottom 8 wouldn't make a list anywhere
The amount of work our mids had to do to get us over the line will stunt their growth for the next 12 years
Shout out to Lemmo though and that tackle on the far wing
Only highlight of the day for me other than Cholly
I have had some awful days at Metricon over the journey but I reckon today topped them all

Just terrible
I have a few "non-sporty" friend who textd me to say
"Good win"
WTF?
Best you could say is we didn't lose
Our bottom 8 wouldn't make a list anywhere
The amount of work our mids had to do to get us over the line will stunt their growth for the next 12 years
Shout out to Lemmo though and that tackle on the far wing
Only highlight of the day for me other than Cholly
I have had some awful days at Metricon over the journey but I reckon today topped them all
Sandy one of the clear signs of a side improving is when they play poorly and still win.
We would of 100% lost that game last year.

Sandy one of the clear signs of a side improving is when they play poorly and still win.
You're probably right
They probably would have done us by 100 last year this stage of the season with our outs and their ins
Noah Touk Rowell and Wittsy just got us over the line
The boys looked filthy going up the race which is another good sign
By the way Umpire 30- you are hopeless

True. And we are missing a heap of best 22 players.
Massive improvement on last season.

But our team selectors are putting unnecessary pressure on the team with some of their choices.

It’s one thing our footy department just can’t get right yet.

Just about our worst effort for the year (excluding the Essendon game).

Even 10 points up with 5 minutes left we looked like we were just going through the motions and expected to win. No hunger or competitiveness.

Defence is well undermanned, but we are still let down by those that should be our rocks down there. Collins was well off his game, but watching live, I have never seen a key defender refuse to make contact with his opponent and allow 2-3 metres free the way Graham did. Lost count of the amount of times he lost his man (who was about 5cm and 10kg smaller) who would then have a free run at the mark because Graham was desperately trying to catch up. Incredibly frustrating.

Chol, Rankine, Touk and Anderson great and once again put us on their back.

I think a few players are just about checked out for the year as well.

True. And we are missing a heap of best 22 players.
Massive improvement on last season.

But our team selectors are putting unnecessary pressure on the team with some of their choices.

It’s one thing our footy department just can’t get right yet.
As supporters we don't have the luxury of supporting "the process"
We just have to wear the W's and L's

I rate your opinion on here so I'm surprised you wrote this
Not sure if you were at the game
He has good foot skills, but his job as a KPD is to contest and nullify his opponent
He did none of that today
Yeah, I was at the game. I’m basing this on a first gamer playing KPD in a defensive unit that has been pretty bad lately. And I’ve seen Graham do less than this game for years.

I’ve said I don’t necessarily agree Andrew should have played, but Graham and Collins gave up the most goals from what I can tell. Even on replays it was mostly Graham. But Collins has actually had an awful second half to the year (despite his great intercepting). I guess Ballard being out is irreplaceable right now.

Thank God our mids and forward line are pretty functional most games.

Half way through the last I was telling the people in the seats around me that we'll loose this one because we were getting nothing from the centre bounce. The WC midfield had the "run of the green" and everything seemed to go their way.
Our backs didn't seem to have the ability to stay with the WC forwards and they were being hit with great passes form a midfield not under much pressure.
The mix of Collins, Graham and Andrew need more than one game to be intuitive.
Mac will benefit from the game and it wouldn't surprise me to see him playing again next week.
I thought Caleb played well in the first half and took a couple of good marks. Not sure what happened in the second half but it was telling.
Sam isn't Superman but he sure seems to be more often than not. I can give him a mulligan on today's game.
At least some of our forwards kept us in the game today

The majority of our
1st choice defence is out injured and was obvious in today's game. Sure we should have won by more but West Coast have improved in recent weeks,
they haven't won but been very competitive. In previous years we would of got run over the top of and lost. I'm just glad we won and got the 4 points. Winning is winning.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell you what, Barrass is in some unbelievable form. Don't think I've seen Levi so outpointed than today (in Suns colours, anyway). He's a gun. Surely got to be the AA FB.
He was the best player on the ground today IMO.
But hard to be named as the AA FB when your team is the worst defence in the league.

It is bizarre IMO. He's been in average form (at best) in the VFL. There's nothing wrong with letting him develop in the VFL for the year. Geelong's SDK did so for a couple of years.

If you don't want to bring in Rory, even though it helps us win more than someone like Mac (which we should be desperate to be doing at this point), then don't bring in either of them and try a different mix.

Just don't think bringing in Mac when he can barely contribute is a good idea.
I thought running with Collins, Graham and Farrar was the play.

But was definitely happy for Andrew to come in over Thompson.

It couldn't be any clearer - we are not playing finals this year.

We are building to try and win finals in the next 2-3 years. I think playing Andrew matches that ambition more than playing Thompson.

Collins was more of an issue than Mac or Graham today. Darling destroyed sarge
Alot of finger pointing to Mac & Graham but it was literally Collins today who let Darling kick 6. Yes we all love Sammy but when he's had a bad day he's had a bad day.. 6 goals is 6 goals

Watching live at the game he tried to cover too much on his own because of what was happening around him.. I may be wrong but that’s what it looked like at the ground
Doesn't excuse the 1v1 loses. He was soundly beaten by Darling. On the lead, in the air. Doesn't matter, Collins got his pants pulled down.

I don’t think you can point a finger at any defender in particular today. As a collective they were well down again and they clearly don’t have confidence in each other as a unit due to the chopping and changing from injuries and lack of continuity.

I do think Collins is trying to do a bit too much at the moment without Ballard, Powell and Rory and doesn’t seem to trust Graham to switch onto his man in any circumstance.

Lot of people upset about a win :think:

Could’ve been worse. We could’ve had a Brisbane-like effort today.
I know we didn't play our best footy today but for a club that has won just 26% of AFL games in its history, we do seem to be a picky fanbase when we secure the four points! We all know our boys can play a lot better than they did in that second half but I was just happy to get the win and keep the ball rolling. I suppose this is what comes with the maturation process of a fanbase; supporters get so used to losing that even a close win feels like a loss and they need to share their displeasure with the way we played. One day we'll learn to appreciate the close wins, regardless of whether we win them in an ugly fashion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back