Review Round 20 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not unpopular ... it is actually true. Replaying the game I am of the same opinion as the commentators in that last quarter: Crows winning the stats, but Port the classier & more skillful outfit. Said numerous times by them, and it really was true. We played a good brand of football, but were cruelled by the that farcical 50m paid against Westhoff, and the failure of our captain-in-waiting to finish off the game. The Jenkins goal is what it is.

Bring that same game-style & endeavor next week & we win.

Some changes need to be made though ... Hombsch & Pittard out!

Another controversial opinion. I don't think Pittard was as bad as people are suggesting and I won't melt at all if he doesn't get dropped.

Hombschy was terrible but if Dougal isn't ready I wouldn't drop him either.

Our defence was bad but it was our midfield that lost it for us.

Another week for Ryder to build back into it and just an average week from our midfielders and we will be in much better shape next week.

Another controversial opinion. I don't think Pittard was as bad as people are suggesting and I won't melt at all if he doesn't get dropped.

Hombschy was terrible but if Dougal isn't ready I wouldn't drop him either.

Our defence was bad but it was our midfield that lost it for us.

Another week for Ryder to build back into it and just an average week from our midfielders and we will be in much better shape next week.
There were two worse defenders than Jasper. Hombsch and Bonner were dreadful but at least Pittard showed some dash off half back.
His two panic kicks in the last quarter have been criticized but i don't think he had any other options.
Bonner has got into a lazy habit of standing flat footed around contests... only young and will hopefully improve.

Watch the clip of all our goals. There was some beautiful ball movement in there.

I am not forgiving the defensive side fell away. That is very true. if we can get a better balance then we could finish the season strongly.

I am a bit bewildered that we have taken to round 20 to tweak it....

Unpopular opinion here too. I actually think some of the footy we played on Saturday arvo was the best we have in a while. The result flips and alot of people wouldnt be so critical.
I actually agree SOME of the footy was.some of the best played this year however to leave Hombsch on Jenkins was negligent by the coaching panel.

Lol Rosemary on Kanes show. Second time she's called in about SPP. She did it after the last showdown too.

THAT POWELL PEPPER ON MATT CROUCH HE HAS TO STOP PUSHING HIM AND HITTING HIM IT WAS QUITE FORCEFUL AND MATTY IS SUCH A LOVELY BOY THAT POWELL PEPPER IS LUCKY OTHERWISE HE COULD HAVE ENDED UP LIKE THAT BRAYSHAW

"Thanks rosemary" Kane doesn't even respond before she gets dumped and they move on.

I do think that we played quite well but it was just our decision making and last-minute controversy that cost us.

Would have been a very handy 4 points but good thing is we still have 3 games left before finals.

Its not unpopular ... it is actually true. Replaying the game I am of the same opinion as the commentators in that last quarter: Crows winning the stats, but Port the classier & more skillful outfit. Said numerous times by them, and it really was true. We played a good brand of football, but were cruelled by the that farcical 50m paid against Westhoff, and the failure of our captain-in-waiting to finish off the game. The Jenkins goal is what it is.

Bring that same game-style & endeavor next week & we win.

Some changes need to be made though ... Hombsch & Pittard out!

Agreed,

We moved the ball into f/50 refreshingly well, gut running players were being rewarded with goals. Our pressure was commendable. Wingard and Gray icing shots they often miss. Our defence leaked at times but Crows inside 50 count says more about our mids than our defence. Here's hoping Howard gets up.

To my eye this was a completely different game from the absolute tripe we served up against Freo.

Crows practically played 2017 football, Wines kicks that goal decent chance we beat them by a couple. I've often said take the umps out of the game, kick and unbeatable score and they can't affect it. Reality is that can't always be done, sometimes both teams are too tight, Hombsch's poor performance doesn't excuse that review and 50m penalty. The players should harbour this loss, use it. No doubt changes need to be made and things to review, but for me more positives than negatives.

Looking at the fixture and we’re a real chance of missing finals now. Need to win 2 of our last three but realistically I think we struggle to win 1.

"Absolutely disgraceful decision"

- Paul Roos on the Doedee/Westhoff 50​

I actually missed not being objectively hosed in Showdowns. It's like a warm cup of tea on a chilly morn.

So upon reflection I think this is the game that shows why we play the way we’ve played most of the year. The coaching group know we don’t have any mature, cool heads down back that consistently use the ball well. We’ve covered this up for most of the season with a game plan that grinds out wins, with our mids dropping deep and protecting our backs. They know come finals that won’t win it so the past fortnight we’ve begun opening up the game to be more free flowing and attacking and our backs are now exposed. Brain farts galore ensue...

In short we are a floored team that is trying to find a way to cover up major gaps in ability through tactics and structures.

Look back at all the premiership winners over the last decade at least and they all have elite ball users across half back who consistently influence the play. Normally they two or three of them. We don’t have one. Pittard & Hombsch are done, Bonner & Houston are still developing, Jonas & Dougal are our shut down guys not rebounders. I’m not sure what Clurey is, I think more Hombsch that Jonas. DBJ I like as the defensive forward on the oppositions best HB. Hammer and to a lesser degree Broadbent were meant to play those roles, injury has prevented it.

Our trade/draft targets are obvious this year - a ruck and elite ball using defenders.
Please no, not MORE half back flankers!!

I actually missed not being objectively hosed in Showdowns. It's like a warm cup of tea on a chilly morn.
Lets be honest if its not the worst 50m penalty paid ever, then its gotta be top 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Rosemary on Kanes show. Second time she's called in about SPP. She did it after the last showdown too.
THAT POWELL PEPPER ON MATT CROUCH HE HAS TO STOP PUSHING HIM AND HITTING HIM IT WAS QUITE FORCEFUL AND MATTY IS SUCH A LOVELY BOY THAT POWELL PEPPER IS LUCKY OTHERWISE HE COULD HAVE ENDED UP LIKE THAT BRAYSHAW
"Thanks rosemary" Kane doesn't even respond before she gets dumped and they move on.

They obviously don't screen the calls.

The 50 and the review should never have come into it, if we get 2 bad decisions that gift goals against us, then we just need to win by 3 goals. Losses happen because the other team is within distance, keep them at arms length and this doesn't happen. Plenty has been heaped on Hombsch, who had a shocker and Pittard who sprayed a couple of kicks out of defence but a lot of the ball from all the players went to the opposition. A lot of the blame seems to fall on the players who are the whipping boys of the moment. When we were behind after that Jenkins goal we had one last chance and Jonas had the ball. Instead of a kick to Polec, who was free he chose a long handball which allowed Polec to be closed down and the ball returned to the cows forward line instead of to our 50. Had that been Hombsch or Pittard who made that error I am sure it would have been dissected and calls would have come out for those player's heads.

The umpire that wont get a game this week
That would only happen if one, the AFL held critical reviews of the umpiring of AFL matches and two, there were actually consequences for the umpires for incompetent umpiring.

It is extremely unlikely that either are true.

But what about when Robbie Gray received a 50 metre penalty in completely different circumstances up the other end? Whinging Poort Powa fans like Paul Roos never bring that up!

The 50 and the review should never have come into it, if we get 2 bad decisions that gift goals against us, then we just need to win by 3 goals. Losses happen because the other team is within distance, keep them at arms length and this doesn't happen.
Every time I think about the game I keep coming back to this conclusion.

I see the now famous microwave oven was on hand to warm up the s**t sandwich...

Djvz-XJV4AAsEWg.jpg

But what about when Robbie Gray received a 50 metre penalty in completely different circumstances up the other end? Whinging Poort Powa fans like Paul Roos never bring that up!
Yep, every time I've brought that up with a crows fan it goes back to the Robbie one, which was a completely different.

Yep, every time I've brought that up with a crows fan it goes back to the Robbie one, which was a completely different.

After we got unashamedly reamed in the second Showdown of 2014 (24-11 their way, with a parade of comically bad decisions beginning with Jacobs getting a free and goal for tripping over his own feet), a certain pelican around here pointed to late in the game when Robbie was tackled by Walker. "That should've been holding the ball (he got a late handball away)".

Apparently it's illegal to admit you got the rub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back