Autopsy Round 20 - West Coast def. Fremantle by 24 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Second bounce had Fyfe in there. Third had Pav. So first three centre bounces had three different set ups - but as soon as I saw deBoer and Suban for the start of the game I knew we'd be in for a long afternoon. Within a minute they'd scored their first goal.
Which makes me believe that something was up in match day planning... Spurr looked like he was told not to stick to anyone and just play up the ground and slide back if he felt like it

What struck me about yesterday was the sheer amount of Freagles that are in my block.

Last year was no where near as bad (presumably because of the relative fortunes of the Eagles now and then) but Jesus there must have been 20 of them in a 20M radius of me. Now I understand how the old couple behind me can be so impartial - they're actually not Dockers fans.

There was a bit of complaining yesterday about the amount of Eagles who regularly come to our games in Dockers gear but showed up yesterday in Eagles colours.

Second bounce had Fyfe in there. Third had Pav. So first three centre bounces had three different set ups - but as soon as I saw deBoer and Suban for the start of the game I knew we'd be in for a long afternoon. Within a minute they'd scored their first goal.

It also didn't help that Sandi tapped it to no one in particular and out wide so that Gaff could run on to it.

What struck me about yesterday was the sheer amount of Freagles that are in my block.

Last year was no where near as bad (presumably because of the relative fortunes of the Eagles now and then) but Jesus there must have been 20 of them in a 20M radius of me. Now I understand how the old couple behind me can be so impartial - they're actually not Dockers fans.

I didn't have that many in 113, at least at the back where I sit but 114 they were everywhere.

It also didn't help that Sandi tapped it to no one in particular and out wide so that Gaff could run on to it.
so much this. I could swear at the start of the first quarter he was tapping it away from our mids as much as possible. my (traumatised) memory is that all the eagles' early centre breaks was from Sandi tapping it to the outside where there was a nest of eagles.

so much this. I could swear at the start of the first quarter he was tapping it away from our mids as much as possible. my (traumatised) memory is that all the eagles' early centre breaks was from Sandi tapping it to the outside where there was a nest of eagles.

Our setups at stoppages were horrendous yesterday, apparently we dominated HO's to advantage but I don't recall winning many clearances when Fyfe wasn't around.

Yeah I recall that too. Their spread was better. At the ball ups too they did a Hawks in the first half - seemed to sit a few more behind the contest and wider, where as we were in tighter. We'd win the ball initially but turn it over to an Eagle in space. I think that's something that we need to adjust as it has happened a few times this year (our losses coincidentally)

There were a fair few around. I was dirty at the people who sit next to me who gave their tickets to Eagles fans. I rocked up and said "How you going? Excuse me, may I get past?" and they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. It wasn't until the game started that I realised they were Eagles fans and then it all made sense.

Optimistically speaking, it might mean that he will win a B&F one day ;)
One of the funniest things I've ever seen watching basketball was a mismatch where Sabonis got caught defending Iverson driving in down the baseline. In the time that it took a 40 year old Sabonis to move about 6 inches to his left to try and defend him, Allen had already dribbled in around him and was in the process of laying up the basket.

To anyone that doesn't know BB it would be like Sandilands trying to defend Ballantyne running into a completely open 50 arc 1 on 1 except for worse lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the funniest things I've ever seen watching basketball was a mismatch where Sabonis got caught defending Iverson driving in down the baseline. In the time that it took a 40 year old Sabonis to move about 6 inches to his left to try and defend him, Allen had already dribbled in around him and was in the process of laying up the basket.

To anyone that doesn't know BB it would be like Sandilands trying to defend Ballantyne running into a completely open 50 arc 1 on 1 except for worse lol.

Iverson would of scored, celebrated and back in the defensive arc before Sabonis turned around :)

Lingy had some strong words about Silvagni's hit on Cripps. Probably still feeling sore about Sully's hit and rightly so. Fred Ziffel, what is your take on Silvagni's hit? Worst than Sully's?

I don't it was worse than Sully's.

Sully lined him up from a fair way back. Silvagni's was more of a reflex reaction to Cripps stepping into his path. Stupid to be sure, but it wasn't like that was his intention. He was running to where he needed be, Cripps got in his way, so he raised to elbow to protect himself. He'll still get 5-6 weeks but it was more a brain snap than a deliberate attempt to injure.

I would have the same comment for anyone supporting any team who likes to see people injured from violence. You get injured as part of a passage of play, that's a risk of the game, but not when someone punches or elbows you. I work in the criminal justice system and probably read and see the outcome of violence on people; someones son, father, husband or friend, as anyone. It doesn't make it right because it happens in sport.

So do I take your reference to my comment as just being "sanctimonious spiel" to be an indication that you agree with the posters comment "I should be against that sort of hit... But it's the Eagles I couldn't give a s**t". No matter who someone barracks for or even if they don't even have a passion for the game, it's a sad mentality to have.
Don't take this guy seriously. He has nothing to say about the Masten biting incident.

Wow the delusions on the Bitegate thread are reaching epic proportions hey? All Suban's fault apparently :drunk:

Was going to post this there but am actually looking forward to a peaceful evening in front of the telly, not strapped to the keyboard arguing with imbeciles... :rolleyes:

jaws bond subes masto.png

The positives were that we got a firm reminder about how s**t some of our regular players are eg. Suban, Mayne, MDB and Danyle. And conversely the better players stood out eg. Fyfe, Walters, Mundy, Pav, Hill.

Also, the cockiness level on this board should be back in check.
Don't agree with Mayne being in that list. He dragged down an Eagle beautifully on the 50m line in the first quarter that might have been a shot on goal had the umpires officiated a HTB as they would have had it been a Freo player that went down, and that spoil from the kick in in the second was another thing of beauty except it was overshadowed by the Silvagni thing. Highlights, examples, but indicative.

You're looking at the wrong things. If Mayne was doing that sort of thing with a more functional forward line, he'd be guaranteed a place every week. Unfortunately, he isn't truly free to play the role he'd otherwise excel at. He's a third forward, not a second marking option. It's the little things, and you're being too hard on a guy who gives the kind of effort a few others aren't, effort which would be rewarded far more often if other things weren't broken.

I don't it was worse than Sully's.

Sully lined him up from a fair way back. Silvagni's was more of a reflex reaction to Cripps stepping into his path. Stupid to be sure, but it wasn't like that was his intention. He was running to where he needed be, Cripps got in his way, so he raised to elbow to protect himself. He'll still get 5-6 weeks but it was more a brain snap than a deliberate attempt to injure.

Yeh Silvagni was running to get to where the ball was obviously about to be kicked and Cripps was deliberately blocking his run to advantage the Eagles in the marking contest. Silvagnis intention was to make him less keen to keep doing that but he went too far. Deans (and Seabys) was a whole other level.

Has this been posted yet?

FGh2YPC.jpg

Weller for Barlow
McPharlin for Silvagni
Dawson for ?

Can't see too many changes against Norf, perhaps a few of the younger lads might be brought in against the Dees and Port.
Oh come on. You'd drop Barlow and leave De Boer in the side, or Mzungu?
I mean yeah, Barlow is a bit down at the moment but his upside is soooo much more than the other two. So what do you gain? Get away from the notion of punishment, it doesn't work.
Like I've said before, we're so hard on those we expect better from, it becomes ridiculous.

There was a goal against momentum in the fourth (Josh Hill I think). Alex Pearce did all the work on his opponent, bodied him out of it, was all set up for the mark and Mzungu comes over and spoils him. Cameras stayed on Pearce for a few seconds afterward, and his body language said it all.
We have a few players who keep getting games week after week without doing anything to earn them. Alex Pearce had that completely covered. He'd won. And to see him hang his head after that was more than a bit depressing, not sure if he thought it was his fault WC had scored or if he'd seen what Gu had done and was pissed at him. Either way.
That's the kind of thing that needs to be stopped, and that's the kind of player we could do without. I like the Gu. He's done well for us. But this season there's not a single argument you could dig up from anywhere which would convince me to keep him and drop Barlow.

Yeh Silvagni was running to get to where the ball was obviously about to be kicked and Cripps was deliberately blocking his run to advantage the Eagles in the marking contest. Silvagnis intention was to make him less keen to keep doing that but he went too far. Deans (and Seabys) was a whole other level.
Actually after looking at the replays if the elbow hadn't been high it should have been a free kick to Silvagni.

Did notice somewhere (and I can't remember where) that it was stated as a hit on an unsuspecting Cripps. What a load of BS as Cripps deliberately moved in to block Silvagni from following an Eagles player and ripps was well poised to take the bump.

You're looking at the wrong things. If Mayne was doing that sort of thing with a more functional forward line, he'd be guaranteed a place every week. Unfortunately, he isn't truly free to play the role he'd otherwise excel at. He's a third forward, not a second marking option. It's the little things, and you're being too hard on a guy who gives the kind of effort a few others aren't, effort which would be rewarded far more often if other things weren't broken.
People get annoyed with Mayne, not for the things he does but for what he doesn't do, i.e. kick more goals. As you say he's a superb defensive forward but we lack scoring options so people (or at least me) hope, not entirely unreasonably that he would contribute a little more to the scoreboard. But if he could do it all he'd be a superstar rather than a serviceable player who gives great effort and bleeds purple.

Perhaps he will come into his own more as Crozier and Alex Pearce gain experience. Pearce I thought looked really dangerous around goal in the first Q before it became obvious that he needed to be shifted back. This week will be interesting as we should be able to play Dawson, McPharlin and Johnson. Ibbo can get off the chain and Pearce can play forward all match. Mayne and Crozier should find a bit more space.

Doesn't Ross love Pearce? He rarely praises individual players in his press conferences but he said Alex's name and then paused and said (with what sounded like genuine amazement) "that kid . . . "

People get annoyed with Mayne, not for the things he does but for what he doesn't do, i.e. kick more goals. As you say he's a superb defensive forward but we lack scoring options so people (or at least me) hope, not entirely unreasonably that he would contribute a little more to the scoreboard. But if he could do it all he'd be a superstar rather than a serviceable player who gives great effort and bleeds purple.

Perhaps he will come into his own more as Crozier and Alex Pearce gain experience. Pearce I thought looked really dangerous around goal in the first Q before it became obvious that he needed to be shifted back. This week will be interesting as we should be able to play Dawson, McPharlin and Johnson. Ibbo can get off the chain and Pearce can play forward all match. Mayne and Crozier should find a bit more space.

Doesn't Ross love Pearce? He rarely praises individual players in his press conferences but he said Alex's name and then paused and said (with what sounded like genuine amazement) "that kid . . . "
I did see that, didn't get to watch the presser until this arvo but basically, it confirmed for me that we didn't throw this match.
Pretty damned rare for Ross to give away admiration that easily, but give it away he did. Pearce is becoming our next McPharlin, able to play both ends but shoved back due to necessity. Loved it.

Actually put me in mind of an interview I saw a few days ago with Robert Murphy, he was saying that a part of the reason he's playing so well this year is that the enthusiasm of the young players they have is infectious. He's playing out of his skin just trying to keep up, and actually enjoying it again.
As much as I hate to say it, RTB needs to watch that interview. Too late this year, but definitely next year. We can't lose players of this caliber, and quite honestly I can see Pavlich get back up to around 3 goals a game again with an exuberant and exciting team around him.

With regard to Mayne, he has the same problem Pavlich has. He can't get out on his own because there are too many defenders and not enough real Freo forwards. He's looking worse than he really is, and in any other top-four club he'd be kicking goals every week without a problem. Just needs delivery and space (which you said, yes).

Crozier... I still prefer Ballantyne. But surely we could find room for him at the expense of De Boer playing forward. Surely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back