Preview Round 21 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Friday 9th August, UNSW Canberra Oval, 7.50pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
We were very, very lucky to escape from that with four points.:sweatsmile:

The Swans had come to play, and there was much to like in the way they went about it. I sat there for large parts of the game thinking ‘Why aren’t we playing like that?”.

We ended up with a clear advantage in the hit-outs, clearances and stoppages, which was probably the difference between winning and losing. And as usual, we lost the free-kicks, something difficult to believe if you read some of the enraged posts on the Swans board. Apart from that it was a pretty even contest.

It was the experienced hands that got us over the line. But with so much top shelf talent sitting on the sidelines, losing Jeremy Cameron was almost the straw that broke the camel’s back.

A special mention to Nick Haynes, who must have gone close to being awarded the Brett Kirk Medal. I lost count of how many of those big-time marks he pulled down. That’s not to diminish the game played by Jacob Hopper, it was one his best. Zac Williams, Toby and Lachie Whitfield also played very well.

Something that definitely didn’t add up was the size of the crowd.

The Swans have 61,912 members, and we claim 30,108 - a combined total of 92,020. Yet on a perfect winter’s day in Sydney, only 16,116 bothered showing up for the local derby. That is pathetic, and you can bet people in high places will be asking some very pointed questions. But as predicted, we were the clear majority on the day. It doesn’t say much for the notorious reluctance of Swans supporters to travel west.

Now for Friday night. A strangely lack-lustre Hawthorn just about had their bubble burst by a fast-finishing North Melbourne, and if they lose to us their slim chance of finals is over. I doubt we’ll turn up mentally unprepared, especially after today’s close call. And memories of the shock loss to Fremantle earlier in the year won’t hurt either.

Josh Kelly and Aiden Corr might be available to come back in the mix, with Matt De Boer the following week. As to who they replace it will probably be out of Stein, Bonar, Hately and Idun. Unfortunately, Sam Taylor won’t be back until the finals. We really miss him.

Whoever lines up, the important thing is that the team is playing well again as a group, which has been just enough over the past fortnight to cover all the injuries.

As long as we keep winning, a top four finish is still possible, so let’s finish our season in Canberra on a high.

Go Giants!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
We may have issues with crowd numbers again.

Have read some reports they've over priced again for this game (cheapest tickets 50 dollars?).

I don't know what's going on with the pricing but who ever is controlling it need to remember we are building a club, 1 that is in the working class of Sydney and Canberra not the North Shore of Sydney.

Have read some reports they've over priced again for this game (cheapest tickets 50 dollars?).

I don't know what's going on with the pricing but who ever is controlling it need to remember we are building a club, 1 that is in the working class of Sydney and Canberra not the North Shore of Sydney.
I'm looking at ticketek right now and adult tickets on the hill are $70. That's just ridiculous. Some upper wing tickets for $100...

Is this a strategy to get non-member fans to sign up for memberships rather than buying GA tickets sparingly throughout the season?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I'm looking at ticketek right now and adult tickets on the hill are $70. That's just ridiculous. Some upper wing tickets for $100...

Is this a strategy to get non-member fans to sign up for memberships rather than buying GA tickets sparingly throughout the season?
No idea.

Absolutely stupid ridiculous short sighted garbage.

If the club has anything to do with it then they have absolutely ****ed up, like the Derby and the pricing, timing and weird email.

We are in the frontier here. If people can go to the league or soccer for 15 bucks or the new kid in town for 50 to 80 what the hell do they think will happen?

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens

Agree. We couldn’t get tickets anywhere less than $69 on the uncovered side on the 50m arc.
It’s like they release areas sporadically to generate demand.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think our key here will need to be a fast transition. Last time the hawks defensive set up was exceptional but we gave them the time to set up. When it was ready we were ineffective in picking through it

Whitfield Williams and kelly on the outside will be crucial

Here to us really showing an ability to shift through the gears mid qtr

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I don’t cat who but Stein needs to go back to NEAFL. He is the new Finlayson (defender version) Terrible one v one in the air which is a massive liability with the 6-6-6.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I have this weird feeling DeBoer will come back for for this game as well.

Haynes Davis Kennedy
Shaw Keeffe Williams
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill HH Lids
Mumford Hopper DeBoer

Tomlinson Finlayson Hately Perryman

Last edited:
I have this weird feeling DeBoer will come back for for this game as well.

Haynes Davis Kennedy
Shaw Keeffe Williams
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill HH Lids
Mumford Taranto DeBoer

Tomlinson Finlayson Hately Perryman

Missing Hopper, who i'd have in there instead of Hately

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Giant Pete - I think you've missed Sam Reid too?

Hawks don't have the tallest forwards (or defenders for that matter!), but they are mobile so again I'd hope we don't revert to a 2-ruck team - that would be the worst approach IMHO. Kennedy's proven his fitness, and has posted good figures in NEAFL, so I'd back him in as an experienced medium defender against Hawks' medium forwards (replacing Idun). We only need two KPDs outside of Haynes with the Hawks' lineup, so one of Keeffe or Stein should come out. I'd keep Stein as being more mobile - as opposed to others I thought he went OK in the Swans game - but the one advantage Keeffe would have is being able to relief ruck (which Mummy may need against McEvoy). That out (I'd drop Keeffe but suspect Leon keeps Keeffe) allows Jezza back into the team (fingers crossed on his availability). If Kelly returns, it's one of Bonar or Hately to drop out; I'd also like to see Caldwell given a run so I'd change out both Hately & Bonar. I don't expect de Boer to be ready. (I don't actually expect Caldwell in to occur - the other outside but more likely option would be Shipley rewarded for several weeks of good NEAFL form with a wing position).

Haynes Davis Kennedy
Shaw Keeffe/Stein Williams
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill Himmelberg Deledio
Mumford Hopper Caldwell

Reid Tomlinson Perryman Finlayson

Out: Idun Stein/Keeffe Hately Bonar
In: Kennedy Cameron Kelly Caldwell

We need need NEED to run it through Hawthorn's zone. Playing slow and setting it up was an awful decision in the first time around. I'm so worried about this game. I'll be on a plane up to Brisbane so will just fly and hope.

Ph41

Draftee
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don’t cat who but Stein needs to go back to NEAFL. He is the new Finlayson (defender version) Terrible one v one in the air which is a massive liability with the 6-6-6.
????? Strong debut, solid second game and certainly not Giants worse defender yesterday. Does well with 1% stats so maybe some of his best work not as obvious as others.

Stein will be retained as we have no Taylor, it will then be Davis and Stein for the 2 talls and Haynes the third and frees up to intercept

Shaw will be the back pocket and Reid HBF they will complete the 2 lock down roles in the back 50, they both play mid 90% game time and have their set job each week

Kennedy will start from the bench if picked as Zac will be running the ball of the back flank again

Zac will switch between HBF, Mid's and interchange rotations

Haynes Davis Shaw
Reid Stein Williams
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Deledio Cameron Daniels
Hill Himmelberg Finlayson
Mumford Hopper Greene

Tomlinson Perryman Kennedy Keeffe

Out: Idun Hately Bonar
In: Kennedy Cameron Kelly

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Stein will be retained as we have no Taylor, it will then be Davis and Stein for the 2 talls and Haynes the third and frees up to intercept

Shaw will be the back pocket and Reid HBF they will complete the 2 lock down roles in the back 50, they both play mid 90% game time and have their set job each week

Kennedy will start from the bench if picked as Zac will be running the ball of the back flank again

Zac will switch between HBF, Mid's and interchange rotations

Haynes Davis Shaw
Reid Stein Williams
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Deledio Cameron Daniels
Hill Himmelberg Finlayson
Mumford Hopper Greene

Tomlinson Perryman Kennedy Keeffe

Out: Idun Hately Bonar
In: Kennedy Cameron Kelly

In your opinion.

Status