Review Round 21, 2015 - Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• 1 Luke Mcguane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Josh Green

• 7 Jed Adcock

• 13 Trent West

• 21 Daniel Merrett

• 24 Liam Dawson

• 25 Daniel McStay

• 26 Tom Cutler

• 32 Sam Mayes

• 46 Billy Evans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, you and I definitely see that very differently.

You might well be right about casual supporters getting a message from the post game interviews. As I've said, I think pivoting to inexperience and injuries is a deliberate media strategy from the club, and that's probably the group they're playing to.

And maybe that's okay, even if people like me find it frustrating, but I think Leppitsch can talk more expansively without diluting the soundbite message.
You couldn't argue a spot for 9 of these in our 22 most weeks?
inj.JPG

Edit: Sorry, or did you mean the irrelevance of game plan? I just think with the outs, and absence of opportunity to develop in the reserves, the game plan is going to be unworkable/unrecognisable. These things need some level of cohesion, practise and development. None of which we've had.

I'm starting to think we are molly-coddling our young players too much.

Tim Watson was 17 when he started playing senior football...Sam Newman was 17 and our JB was playing in his first GF at 19......and there are lots of others. They were playing against seasoned men. They learned to play, or they were out.

We need to toughen up. Too soft.....can't handle pressure, as soon as something goes wrong, they panic, although that isn't just in football, it seems to be typical of youth today. Not taught to handle problems face on, get up and get on with it.

Sink or swim.........in our case, we are sinking.
There's a massive difference between being a young kid with 20 seasoned guys around you to having another 10 kids out there around you.

Our kids are being asked to do more then browny ever was during his early years

Not sure about that. We got smashed by the Suns, Essendon, Melbourne and St Kilda. It's not like it was just the good teams that thrashed us this year.

We've won three, I'd have seen us beating the Saints, GC last week and Melbourne and then go in with a chance against WB at the end of the year. Thus, 6-7 wins in my opinion.

Honestly when people say our list is too young I think of the bulldogs straight away and at the moment they're really serving it up to the eagles at the moment in perth.

The Bulldogs have far superior top end talent on their list IMO. Plus the game plan is just working for them. I am not sure it is sustainable TBH.
Looks a lot like the Port gameplan where they stream through the middle. Which gives their forward a lot of space as theopposition doesn't have time to get their numbers back.

Stop the midfield streaming and it would get harder for them.

The Bulldogs have far superior top end talent on their list IMO. Plus the game plan is just working for them. I am not sure it is sustainable TBH.

I always find this a hard thing to determine, do the dogs have more talent or just more confidence? Most would have taken our list over theirs at the start of the season. I still think we have more talent, just they are clearly a better team.

Agreed. They've done really well with their rookie selections, but take a look:

Macrae (top 10)
Bontempelli (top 10)
Stringer (top 10)
Grant (top 10)
Clay Smith (first rounder)
Nathan Hrovat (first rounder)
Wallis (father/son, bid on with first rounder)
Liberatore (father/son, bid on with first rounder)
Ayce Cordy (father/son, bid on with first rounder)

Hunter (father/son)
Zaine Cordy (father/son)

Looks like we'll only have Rich, Mayes (top 10 picks), Paparone (first rounder) and Clayton (father/son) in the corresponding categories as of later this year.

I'm starting to think we are molly-coddling our young players too much.

Tim Watson was 17 when he started playing senior football...Sam Newman was 17 and our JB was playing in his first GF at 19......and there are lots of others. They were playing against seasoned men. They learned to play, or they were out.
Timmy was 15 on debut.

Not exactly worldbeaters though and it shows just how bad shape our list is in if we are sorely missing most of that lot (Beams excused).

No list is full of worldbeaters

Typically, there are probably Maybe 2 or 3 truly "elites" and the rest made up of a combination mid-tiers and honest footsoldiers.

Take an elite and half of the rest of the regular "contenders" awayfrom any other side in the comp and it's not going to function at anything like its full potential either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back