Autopsy Round 21. 2017. Sydney vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

We've seen the Buddy/Tippett combo work well at times, we've seen the Tippett/Reid combo work well at the back end of 15 while the Buddy/Reid combo has been very good together this year. Yesterday was the first time all 3 were up and going at once (at least in my memory) Buddy had 6 scoring shots, 8 marks Reid - 5 scoring shots, 7 marks, Tippett 3 scoring shots 7 marks while pinch hitting in the ruck. Granted against witches hats, but you definitely have to give them another game together to see if finally this trio can start working.

The tall vs small debate is interesting though. The extra tall works well when your talls are marking, and you have seemingly much more fire power and are harder to play against, opposition defences struggle to get their match ups, we've seen that work well for us at times and Adelaide earlier in the year when they had Walker, Jenkins, Otten with Jacobs all in the side.
But, if your talls aren't clunking it though you lose of pressure coming out of your forward line, opposition defenders can start safely peeling off their men and the extra tall becomes effectively useless and the opposition rebound so easily....we've seen this a few times as well (usually against Hawthorn).
It's actually a hard decision for Longmire and the match committee, because most of our talls can be so hot and cold at times (and can switch between the two on a weekly basis), especially with their marking.

Parker and Hanners are ******* awesome. When they are at or near their best they are top 10 players in the comp.

Not surprising the media made this victory so much about Buddy. Yeah he was good but we had 11 other goalkickers and he'd be lucky to get a Brownlow vote in my eyes.

Heeney, Hewett and Lloyd are just so reliable. Even when Hewett has a 14-15 possession game everything feels composed and clean.

Tippett and Sinclair meh. I've given up on us ever having a dominant big guy so i'll just take their bad with their good. I'd give em all away and just play Aliir as ruck tbh. Will never be dominant but just having him on the field makes us better IMO.

Sir Dane was outstanding but glory be our back line had another holiday for a second week in a row. Let genuine spuds like Taberner and McCarthy out body them, but i'll put it down to a touch of laziness. Can't afford that against Adelaide though.

Glad we were pretty much ruthless right to the end, when we are at our best we just look miles ahead of our opponents

Ps when is the AFL going to give up on Fremantle? I'm only in my 20's yet i feel certain I will never see a Freo premiership in my lifetime. The other one man Perth team can piss off too.
You say that like it's a bad thing?:drunk:

Towers on replay tries to copy rohan a bit, both like to leap into a mark, rohan takes them though, deano went ok again, would be unlucky not to stay in
Must have been something in the Otways water. Together with Melican they all come from the same neck of the woods. Reckon it has been Rohan's best year at the Club. Has impactful moments over the whole game, doesn't disappear for whole quarters any more. Love his pressure. Makes many defenders cough up the pill because he forces a hasty decision to dispose of the ball.

We've seen the Buddy/Tippett combo work well at times, we've seen the Tippett/Reid combo work well at the back end of 15 while the Buddy/Reid combo has been very good together this year. Yesterday was the first time all 3 were up and going at once (at least in my memory) Buddy had 6 scoring shots, 8 marks Reid - 5 scoring shots, 7 marks, Tippett 3 scoring shots 7 marks while pinch hitting in the ruck. Granted against witches hats, but you definitely have to give them another game together to see if finally this trio can start working.

The tall vs small debate is interesting though. The extra tall works well when your talls are marking, and you have seemingly much more fire power and are harder to play against, opposition defences struggle to get their match ups, we've seen that work well for us at times and Adelaide earlier in the year when they had Walker, Jenkins, Otten with Jacobs all in the side.
But, if your talls aren't clunking it though you lose of pressure coming out of your forward line, opposition defenders can start safely peeling off their men and the extra tall becomes effectively useless and the opposition rebound so easily....we've seen this a few times as well (usually against Hawthorn).
It's actually a hard decision for Longmire and the match committee, because most of our talls can be so hot and cold at times (and can switch between the two on a weekly basis), especially with their marking.
Clunking marks - not really part of the bio for Bud or Tippo. Reid is becoming much more reliable as our best pack mark and Sinclair is no longer a man who cannot mark. You gotta love the conversation when the big boys in our team dominate in the air. Saves on the gut running both ways for our mids when we don't cough it up and have the ball in our hands for longer. Smiling in September...what a lovely thought.

Parker and Hanners are ******* awesome. When they are at or near their best they are top 10 players in the comp.

Not surprising the media made this victory so much about Buddy. Yeah he was good but we had 11 other goalkickers and he'd be lucky to get a Brownlow vote in my eyes.

Heeney, Hewett and Lloyd are just so reliable. Even when Hewett has a 14-15 possession game everything feels composed and clean.

Tippett and Sinclair meh. I've given up on us ever having a dominant big guy so i'll just take their bad with their good. I'd give em all away and just play Aliir as ruck tbh. Will never be dominant but just having him on the field makes us better IMO.

Sir Dane was outstanding but glory be our back line had another holiday for a second week in a row. Let genuine spuds like Taberner and McCarthy out body them, but i'll put it down to a touch of laziness. Can't afford that against Adelaide though.

Glad we were pretty much ruthless right to the end, when we are at our best we just look miles ahead of our opponents

Ps when is the AFL going to give up on Fremantle? I'm only in my 20's yet i feel certain I will never see a Freo premiership in my lifetime. The other one man Perth team can piss off too.
I so much wanted to like this but the comment re Sinclair, Tippett and Aliir lost me, sorry.

As to giving up on Freo, I hope they don't! Imagine if they had given up on us? Have Freo lost 23 games in a row yet? They just need to get someone like Roos at the helm and a decent board!

Hasn't been rain in Sydney for weeks, early arvo game in brilliant sunshine, and players slipping over everywhere.

Expecting an SCG greentop against the poms.

I so much wanted to like this but the comment re Sinclair, Tippett and Aliir lost me, sorry.

As to giving up on Freo, I hope they don't! Imagine if they had given up on us? Have Freo lost 23 games in a row yet? They just need to get someone like Roos at the helm and a decent board!

There's absolutely no indication based on the last twenty years that Freo will ever function like a club should, and the AFL is not invested in their success enough to care whether they fail or not.

As for our rucks, Tippett looked good yesterday, but it was against the worst team in the competition in a 100+ point win. Just like McVeigh did, he'll have to prove that he can replicate his form from over a year ago before I am convinced. Sinclair to me is like Towers. They will play one standout game once every blue moon and the rest are average games where we sit hoping and praying they just don't spud it up. Aliir is a better player than both of them and they're hardly dominant rucks/marking targets anyway so might as well bring in Aliir for his class around the ground.

Freo finished minor premier less than two years ago. Damn short memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if it's already been mentioned but that was Ross Lyon's largest ever losing margin as coach...pretty decent effort by our boys, credit where credit is due.

Ross checking out to leave probably

Must have been something in the Otways water. Together with Melican they all come from the same neck of the woods. Reckon it has been Rohan's best year at the Club. Has impactful moments over the whole game, doesn't disappear for whole quarters any more. Love his pressure. Makes many defenders cough up the pill because he forces a hasty decision to dispose of the ball.

Rohans body is finally letting him get consistent footy, confidence up, big career defining finals coming up

Think the club, fans and rohan himself have finally worked out what rohan is as a player too

If they fire it stretches the defence

Crows play walker lynch jenkins mcgovern

Franklin tippett reid rohan if playing well looks ominous

Beat Sydney twice that year. Including helping the Swans out in straight sets.

True, though Reid went down in that final and we had brandon jack in, buddy out, an average towers playing etc and they just won at home

Thats their claim to fame a minor premiership..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back