Game Day Round 21, 2018: Essendon v St.Kilda *Ross' 100th*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

9UwEUEN.png

Previous Meetings:
Round 17, 2017 - St.Kilda (7.15.57) lost to Essendon (17.16.118)
Round 16, 2016 - Essendon (14.14.98) lost to St.Kilda (17.7.109)
Round 9, 2016 - St.Kilda (16.13.109) defeated Essendon (9.9.63)

Preview
Essendon v St.Kilda

862726_thumb_326x184.jpg

St.Kilda's abysmal season continues. After a sloppy defeat against GWS the week prior, the Saints led the Bulldogs at one stage last Saturday night by 28 points, however a 63 point turnaround saw the Dogs win comfortably by 35 points in the end.

Earlier in the day the Bombers faced the Hawks at the MCG in what was a very important game in the context of the final eight. In a see-sawing affair the Hawks narrowly came away with the 3 point win, Essendon getting within a kick with under 30 seconds to play but couldn't get the ensuing centre clearance to give themselves a chance at victory.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jarryn Geary, Jake Carlisle, David Armitage
HB: Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Jimmy Webster
C: Nathan Freeman, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
HF: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Jack Billings
F: Jade Gresham, Josh Battle, Jack Newnes
Foll: Tom Hickey, Jack Steven, Sebastian Ross
I/C: Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield

Essendon Best 22
B:
Ben McNiece, Cale Hooker, Brendon Goddard
HB: Adam Saad, Michael Hurley, Conor McKenna
C: Andrew McGrath, Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis
HF: Jake Stringer, Mark Baguley, Darcy Parish
F: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Mitch Brown, Orazio Fantasia
Foll: Tom Bellchambers, Dyson Heppell, David Myers
I/C: Kyle Langford, Devon Smith, Aaron Francis, Travis Colyer

Medical Room

617858_gl.jpg

For the Saints, Josh Battle was ruled out with concussion early after an accidental head knock when Dale Morris bumped the Saint while he was kicking. Tom Hickey battled a lower-leg complaint throughout the match, spending time off the ground before planting himself in the goalsquare for most of the last quarter.

The Bombers elected not to risk Matt Dea after he sustained concussion in last week's win over Sydney when he landed on the back of his head from a marking contest. Matt Guelfi (illness) was also a late withdrawal. Jake Stringer hurt his left ankle in the third term in a marking contest with Jarman Impey and came from the field shortly after – punching the bench in disgust. He tried valiantly to play on, but was clearly hindered.

Preview

Martin+Gleeson+AFL+Rd+17+St+Kilda+v+Essendon+t_b4swQZMM4l.jpg

St.Kilda have had many disappointing results in 2018 but Saturday night's performance must rank up there with the worst of them. After leading by 28 points early in the first half St.Kilda seemingly fell asleep, allowing the Bulldogs to kick 8 unanswered goals in the third term and orchestrate a 73 point turnaround - in the end winning by 35 points.

In another disappointing evening for the football club, midfielder Seb Ross continues to mount his case for St.Kilda's best & fairest honour. Ross finished the game with 40 disposals, 9 marks and 3 goals and voted best on ground for the Saints.

Others who stood up included Jack Billings (27 disposals, 8 marks, 5 tackles and a goal), Jack Steele (21 disposals, 6 marks, 8 tackles), Jack Steven (27 disposals, 7 marks) and Jake Carlisle (21 disposals, 10 marks)

And of course we can't go without mentioning the debut for injury plagued midfielder Nathan Freeman, who after 5 years on an AFL list managed to play his first game. Freezer finished the game with 19 disposals and 3 tackles in a respectable performance.

A few hours earlier in the day the Bombers went toe to toe with the Hawks in what was a must win game for both sides given their finals implications. In what was one of the best games of the year the Bombers narrowly fell short, after Travis Colyer slotted a goal with under 30 seconds to play to bring the margin within a kick, Essendon couldn't win the ensuing centre clearance and time ran out.

It's been an up & down year for the Bombers. After a tough start to the season they have seemingly played themselves into some form as they make a run at the final eight. As for win/loss, the Bombers have beaten Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Geelong, GWS, Brisbane, West Coast, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, Fremantle and Sydney - with losses to Fremantle, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood x2, Melbourne, Hawthorn x2, Carlton and Richmond. Judging by their results the Bombers have the talent to challenge a few top sides if they do make it to September, however their losses early in the year have hurt them and their ladder position of 11th (10W-9L) is probably about right.

Potential changes

Lewis+Pierce+Braydon+Preuss+VFL+Rd+16+Frankston+WvN9AWveST_l.jpg

With the hamstring injury of Tom Hickey the Saints may look to bring in backup ruckman Lewis Pierce for his first game of 2018. Pierce has been playing solid football in the VFL for Frankston and given the season is wrapping up the Saints may give Lew a chance.

Others who could come into the side to face the Bombers are Rowan Marshall, Ed Phillips and Hugh Goddard. If Hugh is selected it would be his first game in over two years.

Key Match-Ups

617427_gl.jpg

Zach Merrett v Jack Steele
Bombers emerging star midfielder Zach Merrett has been on a tear lately and didn't let up in his side's narrow defeat against Hawthorn last Saturday afternoon. Merrett worked hard for the Bombers from start to finish, ending with 41 disposals, 5 marks and 4 tackles - Essendon's best on the day. Jack Steele has been in some great form at the back end of this season and is the most likely matchup for Merrett. If Steele can win his match up the Saints will have a much better chance of causing an upset on Friday night.

Speed
We all know that speed is an area that the Saints lack and so much so was evident on Saturday night as the leg speed of the Bulldogs made a meal of St.Kilda in the second half. Essendon play a very similar, fast paced style and if the Saints can't quell the Bombers influence in this area it could make for ugly viewing.

Tip

617181_gl.jpg

After a abysmal performance against the Bulldogs the Saints will find it tough to pull out a win here I would've thought. Essendon are still in the finals race and must win their remaining three games to get themselves into the eight. I can't see them dropping this game.

Bombers by 45 points.

Thoughts?

Very surprised Long got promoted so quickly as he hardly had a touch in the vfl last game . But still it’s better than Weller coming in I guess . Thought Connellan might have been tried although he hasn’t been doing much in the vfl either I suppose.

Go Saints

Very surprised Long got promoted so quickly as he hardly had a touch in the vfl last game . But still it’s better than Weller coming in I guess . Thought Connellan might have been tried although he hasn’t been doing much in the vfl either I suppose.

Go Saints
BT I Think Weller knows he is going and I think Hickey could be going with him.
just hope we can get a 2nd round draft pick for the two of them

I'm shocked Long is playing. He looked a long way off it in his last VFL game.
TBF Ben Long has never looked good at VFL but hes shown massive glimpses at AFL level. Why would anyone be upset with his selection? A young kid with huge upside...
It's like some of you are happy with playing futureless hacks like Gears, Weller, Dunstan and the rest of the plodders every week.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would just like to see somebody put Heppell on his arse!
Preferably Carlisle...Could go a long way to making him skipper next year!
Somebody suggested they would like to see a line in the sand game against these scumbags!
I Concur! After all these are the same sooky whingers that labelled us animals 40 years ago!

Lets give the feckers are real reason to call us animals AGAIN!
You could say i have a long memory.....
I maintain i am not a bitter twisted feck hellbent on revenge!

Oh to have big Carl just for one more game!

TBF Ben Long has never looked good at VFL but hes shown massive glimpses at AFL level. Why would anyone be upset with his selection? A young kid with huge upside...
It's like some of you are happy with playing futureless hacks like Gears, Weller, Dunstan and the rest of the plodders every week.

If you think Dunstan, playing half the year with a ****ed shoulder and still trying to put in 100% at every contest, has no future then perhaps you're just a s**t football analyser? All good though, puts you well within the majority of this forum.

If you think Dunstan, playing half the year with a ****** shoulder and still trying to put in 100% at every contest, has no future then perhaps you're just a s**t football analyser? All good though, puts you well within the majority of this forum.
Oh sorry... didn't mean to trigger you so badly. I've been a fan of Dunstan for a long time now. I just don't see him ever becoming an elite or even close to elite midfielder. There is no evidence to support that he will.
Just a heads up... an opinion that differs from yours isn't necessarily wrong.

Congrats to Seb on his 100th.
Now he’s at that magical mark with 100 under his belt would like to see him really take another step towards leading the midfield and the team and make that step up to being an elite player.

I would just like to see somebody put Heppell on his arse!
Preferably Carlisle...Could go a long way to making him skipper next year!
Somebody suggested they would like to see a line in the sand game against these scumbags!
I Concur! After all these are the same sooky whingers that labelled us animals 40 years ago!

Lets give the feckers are real reason to call us animals AGAIN!
You could say i have a long memory.....
I maintain i am not a bitter twisted feck hellbent on revenge!

Oh to have big Carl just for one more game!
A forty year old grudge, mate. I like it :thumbsu::D

Remember that game we beat em by a tonne and knocked the crows outta top 4??
(I drove over for that game and it was ******* fantastic counting down the points and high fiving strangers etc)

Well dont get sentimental .....it aint happening :oops:

Always eci a tad on game day tho
You know....sucker for punishment and all that

Congratulations to Seb . Great milestone even though I never thought he would play 50 let alone 100 . People seemed to have forgotten how far he has come . I know he’s not perfect but he tries his heart out without the benefit of great pace or skill . For a few years most of us were keen to give him away for basically nothing .

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the best to Seb in his 100th tonight, see him stepping up into our next captain at this stage, although I think the club are sneakily trying to pump Newnes into next captain, I think that is the reason he doesn't get dropped.

Also all the best to Paton on his first game in RB&W and to 'Cuz' Long for his first game back from injury.

I think it will be a convincing win to the bummers, but just hoping to see a bit of heart and fight from a pretty young 22

While I'm a bit worried that Long hasn't had enough preparation I'm very happy for two inclusions, him and Paton, who have leg speed. Can't have enough of that, nor the pressure that comes from having players going at speed towards a ball carrier.

Not expecting an upset win but am expecting a contest, hoping for a contest, almost praying (!!) for a contest. We'll have opportunities so we need to see rewards for being bold.

Must stop now, at grave risk of straying into Richo mantra and we all know where that leads .............aaaagghhhh!!!!

Not really looking forward to tonight. If we're less than 3 goals down at quarter time I'll be reasonably happy - I expect the Bombers will come out of the blocks fast and have a match-winning lead by half-time. Our side is just too young and slow to come close. 6 players with less than 12 games of experience isn't likely to lead anywhere good.

I'm not unhappy he was selected, just surprised considering how far off the pace he looked playing VFL two weeks ago and they had the bye last week so didnt have another opportunity to get some match fitness back. He must have done A LOT of training these past two weeks to get fit enough to play.

Go Saints
I think Ben defensive pressure and attack on the ball is above Rays at the moment. Hopefully the week of between is last game as allowed him to get his fitness and touch back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back