Preview Round 21, 2018: Hawthorn v the Felines, 11 August 2018, 1.45pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
their midfield is actually pretty average:

Garry Ablett is cooked and its embarrassing to see him run around in 2018
Joel Selwood tries hard, but he is slowing down and is only a burst player at this stage in his career, he relies heavily on frees now, before frees were the cream on the top, now they are the way he makes a living
Dangerflog is actually still good and the only real star, but his disposal is similar to Dyson Heppell where it can be turnover city on the wrong day
Tim Kelly is a good player for his first year
Mitch Duncan is also a good player most of the time

on paper it looks good until you see them play and realise half of them are cooked or over-rated...
Pretty good summary. I'd have Danger and Duncan as there two best mids.

Ablett can get a lot of cheap touches.

Selwood is the king of panicking and turning the ball over.

Tim Kelly is impressive finding the ball and he knows where the goals are but is disposal efficiency is pretty woeful.

At one point in the cats tigers match the commentators were losing there sh1t over Kelly but he was running at about 43% efficiency.

If we can keep our skills clean we should give ourselves a real good chance at winning. Last time we played them the umpiring was atrocious though, Ablett and Danger were practically throwing it to each other and were never going to be paid htb.

Scott Selwood will hard tag Mitchell, nothing surer.

Big test for the rest of our mids to lift a cog and pick up some slack.

Burgoyne again pivitol, adds class and nous around stoppages.

Think we'll really miss Sicily. He's the perfect player to pick off all the Dangerfield/Selwood hack balls. Stratts is doing a mighty impression of him though.

I'm hopeful rather than confident. One thing you can almost guarantee, the cats won't roll over. This will be a fight to the death.

Their midfield and side in general is going better then the last time we played them , but I would argue our midfield is also going better .
Interesting they’ve made so many changes

Mitchell has continued his ridiculous high standard , JOM is playing another level higher and we have more depth and options to run through our midfield now.

Keep in mind in several games this season their big guns have had big games and they have still lost or scrapped in.
Break even with them then hopefully our lesser lights outplay their bottom 6

Looks like it might be a slog tomorrow , don’t think the weather will favour either side.
They are rightly favourites , if they lose reckon the panic button might get pushed down at Kardinia Park .

They never die. A 5 goal lead at 3 quarter time will be nothing to them. Must be prepared for their comebacks. As much as Joel is a campaigner, he finds another gear when the game is on the line.

Finish em Hawks.

If (massive IF) we can get to a three-five goal lead at the last change, I will take it.

Essendon were supposed to roll over us in the last quarter. 6 day break, return from Perth, generally poor last quarters on our end.

Whilst we lost the final quarter we kept them in it with 3.6 and some very very speculative umpiring decisions which resulted in two goals (yes the super late goal also was an insanely dumb decision to allow advantage). The four point win flattered them.

I’m praying for a big first quarter with minimal damage against. We haven’t had one all season. Just to somehow click and have a 5-7 goal quarter where we take every oppportunity and punish errors.

This is so big for us on so many levels. The opponent, the kids in the side, the occasion, the arena, the stakes. Football sides are built on these days. The confidence it would give our younger brigade against the brownlow champions at geelong.

So huge for us, as they are expected to win.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Im so excited for this game! We win well and truly in the top 4 race.

What a position to be in this early in the rebuild/retooling.

Geelong need to win they know they get up for us as well.

The exposure Burton/Hardwick/Brand/Morrison/Worpul/Miles/Nash are going to get is priceless win lose or draw.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm going to the game with a guy who was drafted to Essendon but is mad mad mad Geelong, could never take the fan out of him.... It would be nothing sweeter than to beat the Scum then beat the handbaggers 2 weeks in a row and to be with him.

god damn WE ARE playing so much better without TOB, Langford and Duryea! PRAISE JESUS! hallelujah never thought it would happen, thought the selectors were gonna be too stubborn, but we finally got here and champagne football tastes so sweet.

also please dont play Schoenmakers in defence he is twice as affective as a forward....

Duryea is salvagable if he finds form, but the other 2 i have little to no faith in...
Duryea was the reason we beat Geelong earlier in the year. Got about 5 intercepts in the last few minutes.

Essendon were supposed to roll over us in the last quarter. 6 day break, return from Perth, generally poor last quarters on our end.

Yes, but our artillery was fully stocked. Man the Worpedo!!!!

ACF0BFA8D2D6C9413A3423F35798264D2230D7E7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from getting Duncan back, isn't it pretty much the same midfield that TOM single handedly pantsed in the last game? Same number of centre clearances as GAJ/Selwood/Dangerfield combined, and only 1 less inside 50 than those 3 combined. They've also got Scott Selwood in compared to last time, but that's hardly a good thing for them. While S.Selwood and Duncan do give them a bit more flexibility than they had last time, and Kelly has probably improved as the year went on, JOM's form now compared to then is like chalk and cheese given his form over the last 4 or 5 rounds (and he wasn't that bad at the start of the year either, just had more trouble playing out games back then, but his latest games have definitely been up another level).

Still, think the most likely outcome is Geelong to win a tight one off the back of a late Selwood goal following a controversial high contact decision.
Dream scenario: Poppy taken high by Selwood in goalsquare just b4 FT siren. Poppy kicks winning goal.

Several Cat heads explode.

Done

IN: Tom Stewart, James Parsons, Quinton Narkle, Rhys Stanley, Mark O'Connor

OUT: Jed Bews, Jackson Thurlow, Jermaine Jones, Ryan Abbott, Jordan Cunico

so Geelong have 3 big ins, Parsons, Stewart and Stanley have been good for them, Narkle is crap but given space and handball receives he might sneak a cheeky goal and O'Connor? is he their irish debutant?

Bews was crap and unfortunately got injured so that helps Geelong and they lost Cunico who is ok, jermaine jones was crap, jackson thurlow is a high draft pick they have no confidence in but he is just on their list and ryan abbott i have no idea who he is

so Geelong other than Cunico have upgraded 4 players from last week, they are a stronger squad than the one who just lost to Richmond, although the way they played they shouldve lost by more, but Geelong has a history this year of coming hard at teams in the 4th quarter, so if we dont have a nice lead by halfway in the 4th Geelong might steam roll us.....

the fact we won last week means, we'll be glad with ourselves and might take this game easy, the fact Geelong lost last week and seemed pissed about it, with Chris Scott talking tough means they will be coming at us this week, all game and all the way to the final siren...

Stanley is the worst ruckmen in the comp, Parsons is also a dud. Tom Stewart is a very good in and not worried about Sparkle Narkle
Hoping our underrated mids can stand up to the overrated trinity. Ablett doesnt worry me at all but flogfield duckwood kelly and duncan do. Really need our defenders to help Chip with the fat turd tomahawk.
I think we are a huge chance to win this
hawks by 10

Pity about about the weather forecast. Might deter some from going, so would expect around 50k I reckon. But will surely be finals like me atmosphere. Almost always is against Cats.

As long as it doesn't rain there will be 60-65k

MCG state 55k as expectation and we know the Cats supporters despise driving down the highway to watch footy.

These Cats remind me of us in 2016. Hanging around the mark but something about the wins isn’t the way it used to be when we were dominant.
If Melbourne hadn’t of choked, twice this year, the Cats would have 9 wins and be sitting 12th. They are just hanging on.
A few individual flashes of brilliance from Danger, Ducker & fat Hawkins but the writing is on the wall.

Their bottom 6 is horrendous and you can’t hide the duds in big games.

Reckon a dry track and we are far to slick for them and win by 6 goals.

In the wet, Hawks by 17 points

Stanley is the worst ruckmen in the comp, Parsons is also a dud. Tom Stewart is a very good in and not worried about Sparkle Narkle
Hoping our underrated mids can stand up to the overrated trinity. Ablett doesnt worry me at all but flogfield duckwood kelly and duncan do. Really need our defenders to help Chip with the fat turd tomahawk.
I think we are a huge chance to win this
hawks by 10
Have you watched Stanley this year? He's been a lot better this year then previously. Gets around the ground very well

Hoping that Nash comes of the wing and cleans up Danger with a classic Rugby tackle as Danger is bursting clear from the center clearance.
Then stands over him and mutters something in unintelligible Irish.
All Danger sees is this huge beast of a bloke standing over him in a green rugby jersey with tape around the ears, and steam blowing from his ears and nose, wondering wtf just happened.

Trippin dude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back