Review Round 21, 2019: Box Hill Hawks v Collingwood, 24 August 2019, 2.00pm @ Box Hill City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Box Hill outplayed in just about every facet of the game for the best part of 3 qtrs. Looked awful. Then kick 7 goals to 1 in the last quarter to win.

Pittonet was critical to us getting some clearance dominance in that last quarter. Huge from him.

Brand 13 marks, almost all off the opposition boot. Mirra outstanding as usual. Those two down back saved us from a belting.

Miles excellent, Cousins busy but a bit wasteful. Andrew Moore very big in the last.

Truly terrible for Woodward, poor bloke.

Shame for Woody. Hope it's not as bad as it looked.

Looked at from where?

At the ground?

Or from the internet stream? Did they have close ups or any commentary that indicated he had done his ACL?

From the ground, as he finally came off, he had tears in his eyes, from the binoculars, and the onky intrepretation one could possibly make, given that he has done 4 ACLs and therefore should know exactly how a tear feels, that he was sure he had incurred this injury yet again.

Last edited:
Box Hill outplayed in just about every facet of the game for the best part of 3 qtrs. Looked awful. Then kick 7 goals to 1 in the last quarter to win.

Pittonet was critical to us getting some clearance dominance in that last quarter. Huge from him.

Brand 13 marks, almost all off the opposition boot. Mirra outstanding as usual. Those two down back saved us from a belting.

Miles excellent, Cousins busy but a bit wasteful. Andrew Moore very big in the last.

Truly terrible for Woodward, poor bloke.

Literally the opposite performance compared to our loss to North Melbourne a few weeks ago, where we led by 30 odd points into the last.

Good comeback from the boys - stood up when Bailey asked them to dig deep. Props to Andrew Moore, was critical to our last quarter surge.

What a last quarter! I tuned out halfway through the second and went out with the family...just got home to see this.

289C1E28-3E1F-459F-A492-C01F219B01B3.jpeg

Went to Box Hill today, couldn't see Houdinihuddo great crowd:) more support for Pies that was to be expected after last nights win by the Pies.

Very poor 1st half by the Hawks Collingwood looked a class above and controlled the ball from the middle they had bigger bodies, i really thought we were in trouble and lucky to be only 12 pts down at half time ,i could not see us lifting the tempo but Max must have blasted them and they came out a different team were more hungry and controlled the ball against the wind and outplayed them for most.Thought Marc Pittonet played really well especially in the second half also the backs dominated especially David Mirra and Kaiden Brand.Being 19 pts down and coming home with the wind the Hawks looked in complete control and kept pumping the ball forwards giving plenty of opportunities to our forwards Jackson Ross after being reasonably quite for most of the game came to life.
other special mentions to Mathew Walker, Teia Miles, James Cousins and Wil Golds.

Overall thought it was a good win in the end by a depleted Hawks side.

Went to Box Hill today, couldn't see Houdinihuddo

He was being an important person, just like being a real grown up, up in the pavilion with the other important people.

However, I am sure he is far too modest to ever admit any if this but he was in fact one of the people of the day.
🤣

Last edited:
Box Hill Hawks1.0-63.4-224.6-3011.10-76
Collingwood2.8-204.10-346.13-497.15-57

BOX HILL HAWKS
Goal Kickers: J. Ross 2, N. Mullenger-Mchugh 2, A. Moore 2, J. Cousins, N. Boucher, J. Koschitzke, L. Meadows, T. Miles
Best Players: M. Pittonet, D. Mirra, J. Cousins, A. Moore, T. Miles, N. Mullenger-Mchugh
COLLINGWOOD
Goal Kickers: A. Woodward, A. Tohill, S. Glover, M. Lynch, A. Oxley, T. Wilson, J. Stephenson
Best Players: J. Daicos, T. Brown, T. Goldsack, T. Broomhead, A. Woodward, L. Tardrew

A very good win. At the moment I only have time for two highlights. Kosi was again all about quality. He makes great choices and moving him to full forward for the last quarter helped us lock the ball in. Jacko Ross snapped a great goal from near the behind post and after the goal was signaled he looked to the bench and with a big grin on his face signaled for a video review. Very funny and so talented.

Quick shout out to Pitto. Was awesome in the ruck as usual, but seemed to lift his marlin game. I only watched the second half, but saw him take three outlet marks and compete for many others.

Exactly what we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will we play any eligible senior players? Last time this happened was 2017 and I can't remember what we did.

In 2017 when the seniors were not playing finals we only brought in two eligible players from the senior side to play in the finals side namely Morrison and Glass. They were only brought back to play at BH because they were both really young and needed all the experience they could get. The only real senior “regular” player who was eligible play, Schoey, was given an early holiday. Other second string hawks like Brand and O’Brien were not eligible. All of the rest of the other eligible senior players were more BH than Hawthorn to wit: Miles, O’Rourke(?), TV, Kurt H, Wx, Stewart etc., and they played PB finals.

In 2018 when the seniors were out of the finals after the pathetic loss to Go Dees and BH was heading into their GF (in PF week) we could have played Nash and Worley but they did not play for reasons of team cohesion 😲 , Schoey was again let off the hook as it was hard enough to get him up for any game at any level by this stage, and Mirra the BH captain in exile played and was awarded best on ground.

So what does this mean?

We go in pretty much unchanged. Schoey and Morrison are out for the season while Glass will need another two weeks plus. CJ can come back in but that’s about it I am afraid.

Last edited:
In 2017 when the seniors were not playing finals we only brought in two eligible players from the senior side to play in the finals side namely Morrison and Glass. They were only brought back to play at BH because they were both really young and needed all the experience they could get. The only real senior “regular” player who was eligible play, Schoey, was given an early holiday. Other second string hawks like Brand and O’Brien were not eligible. All of the rest of the other eligible senior players were more BH than Hawthorn to wit: Miles, O’Rourke(?), TV, Kurt H, Wx, Stewart etc., and they played PB finals.

In 2018 when the seniors were out of the finals after the pathetic loss to Go Dees and BH was heading into their GF (in PF week) we could have played Nash and Worley but they did not play for reasons of team cohesion 😲 , Schoey was again let off the hook as it was hard enough to get him up for any game at any level by this stage, and Mirra the BH captain in exile played and was awarded best on ground.

So what dies this mean?

We go in pretty much unchanged. Schoey and Morrison are out for the season while Glass will need another two weeks plus. CJ can come back in but that’s about it I am afraid.

Cheers for the reply, makes sense.

Sunday September 1
Elimination Final 1: Werribee vs Box Hill Hawks, Adcon Stadium, 2.10pm

WEB-VFL-Finals-Structure-Week-1-V1-1024x560.jpg

At least it is not a Wearybee Park which is an enormous relief for me. It is not a ground we play well on as it has no wings, the sides of the ground are straight lines from about 20m last the 50m arcs.

While North Port is nowhere near as big as VH oval at least it us crudely circular which suits our open running/non constested ball
movement/high possession game style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back