Review Round 21, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think Lachie will be any where near it. Probably hasn't had a vote in over a month
A really good vote would be Lyons to score more Brownlow votes than Neale. Wonder what odds you would get?

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
BRISBANE v GOLD COAST
10 Charlie Cameron (BL)
7 Dayne Zorko (BL)
5 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
5 Mitch Robinson (BL)
2 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Marcus Adams (BL)
interesting with the breakdown

BRISBANE v GOLD COAST
(5+5) 10 Charlie Cameron (BL)
(4+3) 7 Dayne Zorko (BL)
(4+1 or 3+2) 5 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
(4+1 or 3+2) 5 Mitch Robinson (BL)
2 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Marcus Adams (BL)

So one of the coaches gave either Lyons or Robbo only 1.
Wonder Dew with Lyons..

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Watched the replay closely. Rayner was fine. Few nice tackles, link up possessions.. not outstanding but reasonable.
That was my assessment too.

Of course you want all players to be more involved, but he is tracking fine now. Was impressed hearing early in the coverage that he'd shed 6 kgs off his own bat and it is showing. Early in the year, he could barely run a game out just playing in the forward line and would blow up after a few chases, but you just don't see it now and full credit to Cam for putting in the work.

I'm not saying it is vindication, but even Cam himself identified his fitness and game had issues from early in the year and he's rectified it. But the calls that have been made in recent weeks that Cam is shoving it up those that questioned his fitness and game and / or even getting a game (remembering that many said that he doesn't pick himself and can't be blamed for getting a game) is absurd and embarrassing to those making such calls.

99% of everyone on this board only wants all Lions players to be the best they can be, Cam included and to say otherwise is disingenuous.

That was my assessment too.

Of course you want all players to be more involved, but he is tracking fine now. Was impressed hearing early in the coverage that he'd shed 6 kgs off his own bat and it is showing. Early in the year, he could barely run a game out just playing in the forward line and would blow up after a few chases, but you just don't see it now and full credit to Cam for putting in the work.

I'm not saying it is vindication, but even Cam himself identified his fitness and game had issues from early in the year and he's rectified it. But the calls that have been made in recent weeks that Cam is shoving it up those that questioned his fitness and game and / or even getting a game (remembering that many said that he doesn't pick himself and can't be blamed for getting a game) is absurd and embarrassing to those making such calls.

99% of everyone on this board only wants all Lions players to be the best they can be, Cam included and to say otherwise is disingenuous.

I get the feeling Cam purposely had more weight on with a more permanent forward role in mind, but it sounded like it could have been too much too quickly which effected his fitness. Major credit to him for identifying that (even before the fitness staff did) and now we see him getting the benefits of it.

As for this weekends game, he contributed and outside of his mistake where he kicked into the guy on the mark (almost every player has done that in their career) he impacted most if not all contests that came to him. I love seeing him get more time up the ground and reckon that'll hold him in great stead for finals.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 33 Bounces

Neale 31
Robinson 26 wing
McCluggage 23 (15w, 8i)
J.Lyons 22
J.Berry 20 (13i, 7w)
Bailey 15 wing
Zorko 14 (3w)
McCarthy 8
Rayner 6

Rucks:
Martin 14
McInerney 19

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
McCarthy 3
J.Berry 3
J.Lyons 2
Robinson 2
Rayner 1
McCluggage 1
McInerney 1

1st Half - 15

Neale 14
Robinson 13 wing
J.Lyons 11
McCluggage 10 (8w, 2i)
Zorko 9 (6i, 3w)
J.Berry 8 (6i, 2w)
Bailey 4 wing
Rayner 4
McCarthy 2

Martin 10
McInerney 5

2nd Half - 18

Neale 17
Robinson 13 wing
McCluggage 13 (7w, 6i)
J.Berry 12 (7i, 5w)
J.Lyons 11
Bailey 11 wing
McCarthy 6
Zorko 5
Rayner 2

McInerney 14
Martin 4

Notes:
- I don't keep stats on this, but Lincoln McCarthy would have to almost be the most effective clearance mid in the AFL for the amount of starts he actually has. He seems to win it somewhere between 25-33% of the times he attends.
- Most ever starts in an analysed game for Neale (either club). In the 6 analysed games since the bye he has only been absent from 16 of 177 bounces total - or a 92% attendance ratio.
- Most starts in analysed games this season for Rayner

interesting with the breakdown

BRISBANE v GOLD COAST
(5+5) 10 Charlie Cameron (BL)
(4+3) 7 Dayne Zorko (BL)
(4+1 or 3+2) 5 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
(4+1 or 3+2) 5 Mitch Robinson (BL)
2 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Marcus Adams (BL)

So one of the coaches gave either Lyons or Robbo only 1.
Wonder Dew with Lyons..
I just hope I’m still doing the maths on these when I get to aged care..that would be a bonus

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cam is probably tracking similar to Martin and De Goey in their second years
Doubt it......Those boys would have been dropped on form. Cam has been given a huge leap of faith like no other player I have seen. That being said, its hard to question anything our coaching team are doing right now..... What a waste it would have been leaving Zorko out last week as many posters were wanting???

rusty08

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Doubt it......Those boys would have been dropped on form. Cam has been given a huge leap of faith like no other player I have seen. That being said, its hard to question anything our coaching team are doing right now..... What a waste it would have been leaving Zorko out last week as many posters were wanting???
Not sure about being a waste?
Just as conservative approach? I still think there maybe some tightness there. Watch after his last goal, as he's running off, he winces and tad and next shot is him getting his calf kneaded.
He did come back on though,and definitely gave it a work out during the game.
Glad he played, but with his explosive style, nothing wrong with not wanting to risk him.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure about being a waste?
Just as conservative approach? I still think there maybe some tightness there. Watch after his last goal, as he's running off, he winces and tad and next shot is him getting his calf kneaded.
He did come back on though,and definitely gave it a work out during the game.
Glad he played, but with his explosive style, nothing wrong with not wanting to risk him.
The man himself has stated that he’s 100% fit. If you remember straight after the Doggies game he did say hes never had hamstring tightness before so he still to this day is unsure if it was even his hammy causing him dis-comfort!!! Scan showed no problems, Tinka says hes good to go, so Coaching staff give him the green light. If there was any risk, they would have rested him. Not sure what other endorsement is needed.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watched the replay closely. Rayner was fine. Few nice tackles, link up possessions.. not outstanding but reasonable.
That was my view of his game as well after watching it again. Stuffed up a couple but from then on he was solid. Too much watching of the one player for me. They are playing as a team & he is a solid contributor to that (winning) team.

rusty08

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The man himself has stated that he’s 100% fit. If you remember straight after the Doggies game he did say hes never had hamstring tightness before so he still to this day is unsure if it was even his hammy causing him dis-comfort!!! Scan showed no problems, Tinka says hes good to go, so Coaching staff give him the green light. If there was any risk, they would have rested him. Not sure what other endorsement is needed.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I'm thankful he played and got through unscathed.

Fluke

Draftee
Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I'm thankful he played and got through unscathed.
I think the point was that it isn't hindsight. They knew ahead of time he was fine. The conservative approach you're talking about was not going back on the game prior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Stop mugging people off for speculating on a fan board about what we think should and shouldn’t happen based on the limited information us fans have. Obviously you have a clear line to the club and / or players and are happy to post and leak information before the club releases it, but get off your high horse when in hindsight we’re wrong e.g. Zorko shouldn’t play because of his hamstring.:rolleyes:

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stop mugging people off for speculating on a fan board about what we think should and shouldn’t happen based on the limited information us fans have. Obviously you have a clear line to the club and / or players and are happy to post and leak information before the club releases it, but get off your high horse when in hindsight we’re wrong e.g. Zorko shouldn’t play because of his hamstring.:rolleyes:
Dylan 12, Fagan stated Zorks was fit & would play 3 days before the game, not me. Hope you feel better with your rant mate but be assured, you have zero influence over the subject and opinions I post so you can pull up now.....or keep ranting.

Let’s not forget that players would generally be in pain from playing anyway. They have almost played a full season and would be battered and bruised with their bodies just not feeling 100% week in week out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon we'll love the pre-finals bye. We have 15 players who've played at least 19 games of 20. It's a lot of footy and a big physical toll.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I reckon we'll love the pre-finals bye. We have 15 players who've played at least 19 games of 20. It's a lot of footy and a big physical toll.
Yep, and we played well off the bye mid year, our dream match up for our qualifying final would be the Cats as they are hopeless off the bye, IIRC they have lost something like 9-10 in a row off the bye. We'll beat them at the G or the Gabba if we get that match up.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I look for little signs pre game, during the game and post game. My takeaway from the game on Saturday was seeing pretty much all of our players bent over after the final siren. They put in big time right to the end even though the game was over at half time. I like that attitude leading into finals.

Back