Autopsy Round 21, 2019: St.Kilda v Fremantle

LeonardHayes87

All Australian
Oct 13, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was at the game today and have been to a thousand games in my life... I’ve never seen umpiring as bad as what I witnessed from Eleni Glouftis.

I couldn’t give a rats ass about gender, be it male or female it makes no difference. She’s just no good.

It was the same in a game earlier this year. The AFL has to do something, because she could make decisions in a final which could cost a team it’s season.

Anyway. Amazing win. First time for a while we’ve played badly and won. That’s a great sign for things to come.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Footy is pretty amazing. Can be frustrated out of your brain for two hours and turn to elation with one kick. Stoked to get that win.

I honestly thought Clark was just about our best. So clean. Makes things happen. I’m so confident when he gets the ball that something good will happen. He is playing at A grade level as a half back at the moment.

Was a pleasure to see Steven doing his thing. What a gun. Hope he stays but will enjoy every minute we do see of him in the red white and black.

Hanners class. Savage just about played his best game for the club I reckon. Marshall is our most important player easily.

Carlisle was pretty ordinary for three qtrs but stood up with a massive last qtr.

Plenty of negatives as well but that’s for another day. For now happy to enjoy a win.

Battle’s mark at the end was outstanding. Haven’t seen a replay of it yet, but sprinted backwards for 10-15m and just wanted it more than anyone else. Outstanding.
Battles last 3 minutes was pretty brave in my book. He was beaten and battered and could very easily have stayed on the pine. He didn't just run back on though he threw himself into everything in those final few minutes. His big tank was on full show when he sprinted for the mark at the end, and had the class to hold it up til the siren went.

Part of me is sad to see him lost to the forward line, but he looks phenomenal down back, and like he is genuinely enjoying it.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brilliant win.

Most important reason to win for me is for Ratten to get the role next year.

Awesome to see Stuv back and smiling, was great to see the team get around him.

Hopefully he wants to stay and have a crack at finals next year with his mates.
I’m actually in love with Rats. He brings such an honest and refreshing speech to the media and supporters. Today’s one summed it up perfectly. We weren’t at our best, but we had patches. Enough will power to get there in the end.

Battles last 3 minutes was pretty brave in my book. He was beaten and battered and could very easily have stayed on the pine. He didn't just run back on though he threw himself into everything in those final few minutes. His big tank was on full show when he sprinted for the mark at the end, and had the class to hold it up til the siren went.

Part of me is sad to see him lost to the forward line, but he looks phenomenal down back, and like he is genuinely enjoying it.

DW, pretty sure he’ll be our new “throw him forward” at times.
At least we know he can kick a goal.
Pick #39. Inspired pick.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Hell no. He just has to keep playing.
Closest thing to a small goal kicking fwd since Milney.

If Lonie could convert consistently, he would be close to A grade. Something for him to work on over the summer. Just don't let Dixon near him.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
When Matera kicked that goal to put them 2 goals up, I seriously didn't give us a chance. We made scoring look so hard today. Credit to them though, they managed to get two goals in the last 3 minutes and get the win. Josh Bruce, that was a big moment for him because his kicking has been all over the place the last few years. He was great today, toiled hard and got the reward of the match winner.

A lot to like in the young guys, but I just want to start with Hannebery. He was outstanding today, if that is what he can do in his first game for a month or more, if we can get him right then he will be amazing for us. He was really inspiring, tackled hard, great precision kicking and demanded the ball at crucial times when the backs were under pressure.

Another old head that deserves a shout out is Shane Savage. Have to admit, a month ago I was questioning whether he had a place in the side. The last two or three weeks though he has been excellent. So glad we got the win because I feel he often plays well in our losses, but today he would be celebrating as hard as anyone.

Jack. What can you say. Very emotional game from him. What a star. If he needs to go then he needs to go, but glad we get to see him a few more times in the RW and B because he has been our best player through dark times. If he does stay, hopefully we can get to September next year and he is a part of a St Kilda finals campaign.

So of the youngsters, firstly Josh Battle. That mark at the death was huge, but his kicking in general and general play in defence was superb.

Clark was excellent again. His work in traffic and ability to get shrug tackles and then deliver is outstanding. Just love what he is becoming.

Coffield was showing great signs again before getting injured. Hopefully it's not too serious.

Long played a great game. Good to see him perform throughout the second half as I feel he often fades out of games.

It was an interesting game in that we just found it so hard to score. Kind of can't believe we won, but great that the boys get to celebrate again in 2019. Be awesome to beat the Blues at the G next week.

Last edited:
Back