Autopsy Round 21, 2019: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have a problem with how she umpired that passage of play. She saw a high tackle, called advantage then the non-controlling umpire called a free to St Kilda almost immediately and she overruled him and brought it back for the original high tackle.
What I think actually happened. This had a lot of discussion on another website.

Eleni is about 15m away and has control of the game, you see her calling play on in the foreground a couple of seconds earlier.
The Wilkie tackle is highish. 50/50 call in my opinion. She blows the whistle and pays the free to Freo.
It was clear immediately that Freo has had an advantage and you don’t hear Eleni say anything but maybe that’s the protocol, and the priority is to call play on. You can’t see her on screen so there’s no indication if she pointed in any direction before calling advantage.

Nameless Male Umpire (NMU) sees the incident, and this is all just conjecture by me, thinks it’s a Saints free and that she has called the advantage the wrong way. So either she’s paid the free to Freo and correctly called advantage or she’s paid it to the Saints and made a huge f*** up and called advantage the wrong way. That’s when he blows the whistle and says it was a St Kilda free. He’s not over ruling her high tackle call he’s misinterpreted her original call and is overruling the advantage call.

She says no I paid the free to Freo for a high tackle and NMU says “sorry” All a bit hard to hear with Dwayne commentating.

I don’t know if she did anything wrong with the process and communication, but the problem has arisen when NMU makes the wrong assumption.

Throw in the fact he's clearly a leader, both on and off field. We are not exactly flush in that area atm. In fact, if I had to appoint a captain for next year, assuming Geary won't be it, Josh would be close to the favourite.

A valuable commodity, indeed. Of course, if someone offered you a (Ben) King's ransom, I'd listen.
Bruce has been with us for years, how many of those was he in the leadership group? One thing I'd have thought we'd established in the last 2 years is that we've had a void of leadership, at least on field. Brucey was not on field a lot last year and leadership has been a little better this year, so maybe that proves your point.

I'll accept he's a strong presence in the team and good protection for King. Don't mind him as s player, but would very much like him to be much more consistent. Frankly I think relying on players like him will get us nowhere.

Bruce has been with us for years, how many of those was he in the leadership group? One thing I'd have thought we'd established in the last 2 years is that we've had a void of leadership, at least on field. Brucey was not on field a lot last year and leadership has been a little better this year, so maybe that proves your point.

I'll accept he's a strong presence in the team and good protection for King. Don't mind him as s player, but would very much like him to be much more consistent. Frankly I think relying on players like him will get us nowhere.

I think he's a 50 goal FF if we can deliver him the ball well and he doesn't have to work all over the ground still. They don't grow on trees. His best year was when Armo was averaging 28 possessions and looked a superstar. No doubt him and Stuv delivering the ball and guys like Schneider distributing helped.

He quite clearly got lost. I’m sure his injury made the game difficult for him but unless it made him physically unable to move in this instance, he just had an Acres moment.
I think what you miss when you have a corky is your reaction time physically is alot slower. He was probably thinking Lonie hungry so he will most likely kick it over his head. Therefore he was moving.

I think what you miss when you have a corky is your reaction time physically is alot slower. He was probably thinking Lonie hungry so he will most likely kick it over his head. Therefore he was moving.
This debate has been done to death over the last few days in previous pages of this thread so won’t be getting into it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back