Autopsy Round 21, 2021 | Autopsy vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, get rid of Hall.

For the 2 brilliant kicks a game he pulls off, he fu**s up 10 which put us under pressure. Same for the skipper, same for Mahony, same for Turner and Dumont.

It’s the same blokes each week and has been for years.

I must be watching a different game or team ?! but I actually think Hall & the skipper have been great. Yes they have some errors in a game but it’s just like any other AFL player In the comp.
I feel they have had brilliant seasons & have brought their A game .
Mahoney is our best pressure forward we have & is a kid .
Turner has turned into the best small forward defender for us in years . His scalps this season speak for themselves.
As far as Dumont , I’m the first to say he’s a vanilla type player but what he brings to the side is stability, hard defence & offence running , link up & maturity . I reckon there’s a bit of a connection that since Frog came back we started to improve after the bye .
sorry mate but you got your opinion totally wrong & maybe you should concentrate a bit more on the positives of this first rebuild season rather than the negatives.
keep an eye on the Syd Barker this year & see who is correct… you or me .

Last edited:
I must be watching a different game or team ?! but I actually think Hall & the skipper have been great. Yes they have some errors in a game but it’s just like any other AFL player In the comp.
Turner has turned into the best small forward defender for us in years . His scalps this season speak for themselves.
As far as Dumont , I’m the first to say he’s a vanilla type player but what he brings to the side is stability, hard defence & offence running , link up & stability. I reckon there’s a bit of a connection that since Frog came back we started to improve after the bye .
sorry mate but you got your opinion totally wrong & maybe you should concentrate a bit more on the positives of this first rebuild season rather than the negatives.

We fell apart mostly going into the forward line again. I don't put too much of that on Hall. I think the teams that play us well squeeze us so that we can't quite get easy inside 50 to the deeper forwards but also congest that midfield goal kicking range. They almost invite us to make that devils choice. I'm sure the team will work it out and the players will gain more experience. Have to remember the bulk of our experience is off the back and HB lines. A player like Combden coming in would help, Campbell not coating the footy in butter would have done the same last night - he couldn't hold the ball for the life of him and once that happens structurally you can't make a difference in that transition zone.

Goldy, Taz, Walker, Ziebell, Hall, Turner, McKay, Simpkin, Anderson, Mcdonald, Dumont, Campbell.

12 blokes there. Youngest of those is 23. Not exactly a youth team.

Richmond had a fair few young blokes out there today as well.
23 is yoof,.

Just but still yoof.

Bonar should never play again.
Has shown absolutely nothing on 3 years.
The game against Magpies earlier this year convinced me this footballer has no heart, footy IQ or ability.

Walker is like a dear in headlights. I can understand why we have to play him but seriously we need to upgrade on this spud desperately.

Campbell is a sh*t truck and all the muppets on this board continually calling for his inclusion know nothing about football. I’d rather play a non ruckman as our second ruck. Need to delist this year.

Ziebull I love him but is there a worst decision maker or kick in our team other than the above 3 muppets. Should not be guaranteed games next year, and needs to relinquish the captaincy.

Our backline needs to addressed in the next draft period ahead of any other need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Correct.

The back line is a mess in terms of structure, age and skill set and our biggest risk as we work through this rebuild. I am really surprised Nobes has let it drag on this long.

Playing 3 talls, plus JZ is just a poor structure. Turner has been commendable in his effort but has no offensive threat whatsoever. Hall has been a revelation.

I think we have the players who can play there on the list already - eg Atu, Perez, Bailey, Corr, Bonar, LMac can all play there - but we need to get it right in terms of structure and personnel.

The question for me is whether this game plan will stand up under serious pressure, especially in finals. You can say it was a crap second half or you can look a bit deeper and realize that game plan needs to be changed. Looks great when the opposition is lazy or soft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I felt Luke Mac really struggled & for the love of the footy gods I never want to hear “not 15, play on” in the backline again.
He has missed a lot of the season and expecting him to walk in and be a fixture is a bit much. I agree with the second part though, they seemed very trigger happy. It wasn't a reason we lost, their added pressure and our lack of response did that, but the quickness at how often they blew the whistle was noticeable.

He has missed a lot of the season and expecting him to walk in and be a fixture is a bit much. I agree with the second part though, they seemed very trigger happy. It wasn't a reason we lost, their added pressure and our lack of response did that, but the quickness at how often they blew the whistle was noticeable.

We lost because we didn't translate complete ascendancy into enough goals in the first half.

Goldy, Taz, Walker, Ziebell, Hall, Turner, McKay, Simpkin, Anderson, Mcdonald, Dumont, Campbell.

Yeah a few of those senior blokes tailed off second half. Important to remember McKay is still young in terms of games played and Simpkin at 23 is leading the midfield without Cunnington which is a responsibility not many 23yo face in this league.

Bit of perspective needed though. We haven’t put together a half like last night in roughly 10 weeks (Essendon game). All teams have flat spots and rather focus on the second half last night let’s look the previous 10 weeks where we have taken significant strides across the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes because elite talent only comes at pick 1 in the draft.
Everyone wanted us to tank the last round of 2017 and get pick 1, yet the guy we got at pick 4 just had a 38 disposal game, while the guy taken at pick 1 has been sitting on the sidelines injured all year.

We already have people 'disappointed' in Phillips apparently not living up to expectations as a pick 3 so far. What do you think is going to happen when Horne, who is hyped up as a generational talent, comes in next year plays on a HFF and averages 10 touches a game? Half the boards already got him pencilled in for a 20 & 2 average.

Lol.
Walsh is a great player. Hasn't helped Carlton much though.
Its more that no one else gets him for me. Tho I don't really care. Pick 1 itself is better than Horne in particular, cos it gives us some control of the situation. plus its novelty value. the spoon doesn't mean one thing or another to me. Anyone who thinks we haven't been the shite-est side of the last 18 months is deluded anyway.

I think it will be worth comparing his first season to Tarryn's if we get him. I wouldn't be surprised if we pick someone else with pick one or trade it either. part of me hopes we do just so I can read the melting on here.

Yeah I think the backline personnel was largely shaped early in the season due to long term injuries and am pretty confident that had we had a full list to choose then that make up would be a little different.

Corr and Perez the obvious ins..

Interesting pre season coming up.

Not intended as a criticism of LMac, more of an observation.

His decision making and disposal was not up to his usual standard.

We must get the "not 15, play on" kicks out of the tool bag, all they do is invite pressure, ump's were pretty hot on them today, and Tigers were suitably prepared to cash in.

8-10m kicks get rewarded by the umps literally dozens of times each week across games.

Although I agree with what you say here, it’s easy to see why they do it.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes because elite talent only comes at pick 1 in the draft.
Everyone wanted us to tank the last round of 2017 and get pick 1, yet the guy we got at pick 4 just had a 38 disposal game, while the guy taken at pick 1 has been sitting on the sidelines injured all year.

We already have people 'disappointed' in Phillips apparently not living up to expectations as a pick 3 so far. What do you think is going to happen when Horne, who is hyped up as a generational talent, comes in next year plays on a HFF and averages 10 touches a game? Half the boards already got him pencilled in for a 20 & 2 average.

Lol.
Walsh is a great player. Hasn't helped Carlton much though.

There’s a difference from 2017 when you could have thrown a blanket over 4-5 blokes who could have been no.1 vs 2021 where there is a head and shoulders above standout (sans F/S players).

I’m in the just want to win every game camp but don’t think this comparison is apples for apples.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

As far as Dumont , I’m the first to say he’s a vanilla type player but what he brings to the side is stability, hard defence & offence running , link up & maturity . I reckon there’s a bit of a connection that since Frog came back we started to improve after the bye .

Syd Barker placing in 2021 means less than * all. The context is in relation to our next contending side.

Just think he makes too many mistakes for a senior player and doesn’t defend.

The game against Magpies earlier this year convinced me this footballer has no heart, footy IQ or ability.
Are you kidding me?? Yes, JDG got a hold of him and he got injured against the Pies. But he was definitely one of our better players in the first few rounds of the year. He has shown big improvement for a defender this year.

It was in first game back in almost 2 months at AFL level and only like 22. Give him a break.

You're in for a shock when bnf voting for the first few rounds comes out on the 27th my friend...

Walker is like a dear in headlights. I can understand why we have to play him but seriously we need to upgrade on this spud desperately.

Campbell is a sh*t truck and all the muppets on this board continually calling for his inclusion know nothing about football. I’d rather play a non ruckman as our second ruck. Need to delist this year.

Ziebull I love him but is there a worst decision maker or kick in our team other than the above 3 muppets. Should not be guaranteed games next year, and needs to relinquish the captaincy.

Our backline needs to addressed in the next draft period ahead of any other need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Smooch, Smoochie, the Smoochster. Where do I start. How about Bonar should never play again. Granted we all have opinions but here's mine. You must be on the hooch Smooch.

Syd Barker placing in 2021 means less than fu** all. The context is in relation to our next contending side.

Just think he makes too many mistakes for a senior player and doesn’t defend.
Syd Barker means fu** all ?
have a bit of respect first for our club & history.
We are not in the inner sanctum of what our coaches regard as key to our team success. But I tell you now ,
all of the players you have bagged & want out have played a massive improvement important role this season.
Yes they make mistakes, but their commitment & importance to our team development is massive .
Just as an example , Hall is in the top 3 in meters gained alone , his run & carry has revolutionised our team .
As for Jack …. Read the numbers
E5ADC44D-60BA-4180-AAA7-7EAEEDAC4975.png

Not intended as a criticism of LMac, more of an observation.

His decision making and disposal was not up to his usual standard.
Luke's an interesting one. On pure leadership and courage, he gets a game every week. But, a bit like Jack, where does he fit in our structure in the longer term? If it's in the back half, then we'll need to tip a few out because we're way too slow. We were like witches hats in the back half late in the game yesterday. Back half leg speed is hugely underappreciated. It plays buggery with opposition patterns.

Last edited:

By my count Richmond had 16 players out there who have played in one or more Premierships. That counts for a lot in games like this. Premiership players out through injury were Broad, Houli, Martin and McIntosh. Very good footballers to be missing, but there were also some very good footballers out there.

Not all of their Premiership players, in particular Tom Lynch, contributed, but at half time, their season was well and truly on the line. The late goal to Riewoldt on the half time siren, gave them something to take into the main break, coming also after Nick Larkey, inexplicably for him, missed a couple of easy shots.

For a team who's season is on the line, the half time break could not have been better timed. It gave them a chance to re-set, for the coaches to remind those players what the next two quarters meant and they came out and delivered. We needed to get the first goal after half time at the very least but instead they got it and they were on their way.

I'm not too disappointed by yesterday's result. Of course it would have been wonderful to have won, but countering any disappointment is the fact that we have almost certainly sewn up Pick 1. It is hard to see Sydney losing next week, which means, barring Hawthorn losing by large margins in their last 3 games, we should be able to go to Adelaide in Round 23 and the boys can give it everything they've got in pursuit of a win.

That will take us into next year, and who knows what might happen in 2022 with some reasonable luck on the injury front.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back