Autopsy Round 21, 2021 | Autopsy vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke's an interesting one. On pure leadership and courage, he gets a game every week. But, a bit like Jack, where does he fit in our structure in the longer term? If it's in the back half, then we'll need to tip a few out because we're way too slow. We were like witches hats in the back half late in the game yesterday. Back half leg speed is hugely underappreciated. It plays buggery with opposition patterns.

I was constantly thinking this when he would bob up yesterday in play.

I realise that: a)He is coming back from injury earlier in the season so he is building his fitness and b)He plays as a defensive wing role which is probably one of the less visible roles, BUT, he has a huge pre-season in front of him.

He needs to shed a few kgs, get his running fitness up and generally play with more awareness and intensity. So many times it seemed he was made to look foolish getting caught with the ball or getting pressured into a crap disposal. I realise he wasn't alone here, but it has been a trend I've noticed over the last 5 weeks or so.

Syd Barker means fu** all ?
have a bit of respect first for our club & history.
We are not in the inner sanctum of what our coaches regard as key to our team success. But I tell you now ,
all of the players you have bagged & want out have played a massive improvement important role this season.
Yes they make mistakes, but their commitment & importance to our team development is massive .
Just as an example , Hall is in the top 3 in meters gained alone , his run & carry has revolutionised our team .
As for Jack …. Read the numbers
View attachment 1199573
For a team that is 18th the B and F means very little in terms of who are good players in the context of the competition.

The AFL coaches voting would be a better start for this type of analysis.

In terms of JZ, using the stats is next to useless when it includes kick outs and 20 metre kicks sideways. A far more useful indicator is defensive errors - with the 2 keys being (i) turnovers and (ii) being 3rd up and not impacting the contest.

JZ has done very well in terms of intercept marking - but his one on one defending and ball use under pressure are horrendous for the captain of the club who is supposedly playing back to provide leadership to our young players.

Without reviewing the stats and reading the reviews:

Positives:
- The four quarter players - Simpkin, MacKay, Turner, Hall, Mahony and special mention to Thomas who was held all day yet stood up when the match was slipping away.
- The across the board effort in the first two quarters. Ziebell, Larkey, Zuhaar and a many others looked a million dollars and it's hard not to think this will be our new normal one day. Some of our quick ball movement around the packs was as good as I've seen this year.
- Ford showed some talent, can't wait to see more. Campbell put a question mark against Xerri being the second ruck and looked comfortable contesting the ball across half forward.
- We were touched up by some 'top 6' footy right when the game was in our control. Good, I'm glad it happened. The last thing we need right now is a four goal victory over an insipid soon-to-be-ex premiership team who can't be arsed.

Negatives:
- Just to contradict myself, we went from displaying the best of what the future holds to reminding the footy world that we can lose games by 10+ goals under sustained pressure. Understandable that is happened, maybe even forgivable, but we certainly took the shine off what we achieved in the first half.
- Arguably lost the game in the second quarter when we controlled the game without damaging the scoreboard. A lost opportunity to have the experience of defending a big lead against the reigning premiers.
- Maybe unfair, but hard not to notice that Stephenson didn't break the lines and kick a goal or two when we needed it most today. Am I nit picking? Probably nitpicking. Acknowledge a lot of players went missing.

All said I'm feeling oddly grumpy about the result. Probably just a bit of impatience seeing our future right in front of us and it not being here just yet.
The best part of your write up is not hitting the scoreboard. That's the killer. We had plenty of chances to put some distance between the two sides that may have nullified a bit of their confidence, and just fluffed it. Larkey twice. Have to nail those.

Watched the first half
5 goals to nil with 30 seconds to go, OK

spoke to Bro, who wondered why no Atu v a team of quick shortarses?
had a look at a video of Horne

interesting

Must play X to protect our young stars

The rebuild won't be done until we replace Goldstein, Cunnington, Ziebell, Hall, Tarrant and Walker. There's still a fair way to go.
Goldstein - Xerri, Edwards, Comben.
Cunnington - ireplaceable? Simpkin, LDU, Phillips.
Ziebell - irreplaceable? (Tho some would say why bother.) Jy, Jed, Lmac, Zurhaar
Hall - Perez, Bonar, Atu, Lmac, Thomas, Stevenson
Tarrant, Walker - Mckay, Corr.

There is alot of other talent on our list too. Powell for example.

Goldy - unlikely to get like for like with Goldy. if we get by with a half decent ruckman and rely on our midfield to take up the slack that will help. Taz and Walker for MvKay Corr ... that still needs some work too.

There is no rule that says we can't finish rebuilding while we are premiers. Hawthorn did it. The Dogs to a degree. The Swans (tho they haven't really dominated of won flags. Unlucky not to tho.) If we want sustained success over the careers of guys like Tarryn and Jy then we will have to do that.

For a team that is 18th the B and F means very little in terms of who are good players in the context of the competition.

The AFL coaches voting would be a better start for this type of analysis.

In terms of JZ, using the stats is next to useless when it includes kick outs and 20 metre kicks sideways. A far more useful indicator is defensive errors - with the 2 keys being (i) turnovers and (ii) being 3rd up and not impacting the contest.

JZ has done very well in terms of intercept marking - but his one on one defending and ball use under pressure are horrendous for the captain of the club who is supposedly playing back to provide leadership to our young players.
Not worth replying to this….
Lee
Let’s agree to disagree.
I think you are missing the point ….&
80B88D95-B13E-4BC9-B683-85F1DDCC3748.gif

Last edited:
Just on the attention that TT and LDU got from Nank yesterday. We know that Goldy isn’t the physical type, but it’s where the value of Xerri can be noticed. I have no doubt he’d have been right up in Nanks face yesterday.

Chairman Zia credit for pointing this out.

Xerri would have been better than Campbell on every metric yesterday, but this one stands out like dogs balls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel an awful lot better today than I did yesterday. The drop-off from such a good first half have skewed my overall thinking yesterday afternoon. I was overly critical of the team’s effort, as a result. On reflection, the performance was a continuation of our progress this year. When it comes to pressure, Richmond are still the gold standard when they turn it on. Add the fact that they had so much to play for and we were always going to be in trouble. LDU & Zurhaar were sensational. We looked so skilful for long periods of the first half. I must admit, I’m a bit miffed at the Ziebull for the fact that I tend to overly focus on every single mistake that Jack Mahony makes, while ignoring mistakes by other more experienced players. It’s so annoying.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel an awful lot better today than I did yesterday. The drop-off from such a good first half have skewed my overall thinking yesterday afternoon. I was overly critical of the team’s effort, as a result. On reflection, the performance was a continuation of our progress this year. When it comes to pressure, Richmond are still the gold standard when they turn it on. Add the fact that they had so much to play for and we were always going to be in trouble. LDU & Zurhaar were sensational. We looked so skilful for long periods of the first half. I must admit, I’m a bit miffed at the Ziebull for the fact that I tend to overly focus on every single mistake that Jack Mahony makes, while ignoring mistakes by other more experienced players. It’s so annoying.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just always remember:
1628413762015.png

We are not in the inner sanctum of what our coaches regard as key to our team success. But I tell you now ,
all of the players you have bagged & want out have played a massive improvement important role this season.
Yes they make mistakes, but their commitment & importance to our team development is massive .
Just as an example , Hall is in the top 3 in meters gained alone , his run & carry has revolutionised our team .
View attachment 1199573
But, but, but

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 1199573

Nice shark jump. Jack takes kick ins you nonce, his stats are like adding hooker visits to your overall roots tally.

I said Syd Barker in 2021 means * all, stop overreacting because you don’t understand nuance.

Syd Barker means something in a premiership year, saying it means nothing in a wooden spoon year gives you an insight into my mentality - I don’t like finishing last, I don’t celebrate anything when we finish last.

I’m also, clearly not as seduced by frauds as you; Hall, Dumont, Ziebell, Atley, Walker et al - I’m not seduced by stat paddlers; Hall, Ziebell.

They are old and s**t and the sooner they are not in the side, the closer we’ll be to our next flag.

The biggest positive for me yesterday was that we had a young midfield that virtually bullied a opposition midfield full of premiership players.
And whom got let down by a forward line who couldn’t convert (Larkey, Sleevo).
They should never have been that close at half time. Young team will learn.

Nice shark jump. Jack takes kick ins you nonce, his stats are like adding hooker visits to your overall roots tally.

I said Syd Barker in 2021 means fu** all, stop overreacting because you don’t understand nuance.

Syd Barker means something in a premiership year, saying it means nothing in a wooden spoon year gives you an insight into my mentality - I don’t like finishing last, I don’t celebrate anything when we finish last.

I’m also, clearly not as seduced by frauds as you; Hall, Dumont, Ziebell, Atley, Walker et al - I’m not seduced by stat paddlers; Hall, Ziebell.

They are old and sh*t and the sooner they are not in the side, the closer we’ll be to our next flag.
For starters there is no need to get personal , vulgar and abusively rude when we are a sharing a difference of opinion .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back