Autopsy Round 21, 2021 | Autopsy vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

The way i see it with Horne is he can play a similar type role to what Powell played this year, or he can play half forward. Nobes wont be gifting him time in the middle, it doesnt matter who he is.

It all comes down to what occurs with Josh Kelly.

In my opinion:

Do we need Josh Kelly : No
De we want Josh Kelly: Yes

He is the type of player that you build around in a way, however his inclusion means less and less minures are available in the middle for Powell, Phillips, Thomas and potentially Horne

The other thing in regards to the midfield is it is clear that LMac is moving to wing. I would imagine that is personal preference too. Means another spot down for these youngsters to potentially grab.

If things go to plan in the off season, we are essentially adding in Lmac, Kelly and Horne to any already heavily populated midfield.

Its going to be very very tough for Powell, Phillips, Horne to surpass Kelly, LDU, Cunnington and Simpkin as our top liners

Nervous about LMac on a wing, but given his injuries this year he has time to level up. Thought his 2020 form in defence was incredible

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The way i see it with Horne is he can play a similar type role to what Powell played this year, or he can play half forward. Nobes wont be gifting him time in the middle, it doesnt matter who he is.

It all comes down to what occurs with Josh Kelly.

In my opinion:

Do we need Josh Kelly : No
De we want Josh Kelly: Yes

He is the type of player that you build around in a way, however his inclusion means less and less minures are available in the middle for Powell, Phillips, Thomas and potentially Horne

The other thing in regards to the midfield is it is clear that LMac is moving to wing. I would imagine that is personal preference too. Means another spot down for these youngsters to potentially grab.

If things go to plan in the off season, we are essentially adding in Lmac, Kelly and Horne to any already heavily populated midfield.

Its going to be very very tough for Powell, Phillips, Horne to surpass Kelly, LDU, Cunnington and Simpkin as our top liners

You can’t build around a bloke who’s average in contested footy.

Tom Campbell. Holy smokes.

You can mark down Stevo instead of Taylor/Mahoney on the flank - the latter 2 will have to make way in the best 22 next year but will be useful depth.

The forward line has been a work in progress in 2021 - but will look a lot better if we can get Comben in there as a legitimate second marking tall, Stevo and TT as real goal threats and Horne providing forward pressure and ability to kick a goal. CZ is getting more "Dermie like' as each week progresses.

We need more goals from the mids but even with that forward 6 we will be looking at a 12-14 goal side next year - a definite improvement on this year.

What has Mahoney done wrong? He’s just a kid learning his craft and has been damn good. Another very clever game today and plays a very important role with pressure, smarts and ball use inside 50 (something we lack). People are too harsh on Mahoney, we need to understand that role players are vitally important to all good teams and he is The perfect example.

Everyone needs to relax about the second half. We are a young team that’s put together a great 10 weeks. It’s a supreme effort we haven’t hit the wall sooner like we did today in the second half.
Once again the kids were the drivers today and that’s the main thing. We will be okay.

Everyone needs to relax about the second half. We are a young team that’s put together a great 10 weeks. It’s a supreme effort we haven’t hit the wall sooner like we did today in the second half.
Once again the kids were the drivers today and that’s the main thing. We will be okay.

Goldy, Taz, Walker, Ziebell, Hall, Turner, McKay, Simpkin, Anderson, Mcdonald, Dumont, Campbell.

12 blokes there. Youngest of those is 23. Not exactly a youth team.

Richmond had a fair few young blokes out there today as well.

Or you could think adding an elite talent to what we already have is more beneficial than a win in Rd 20 of a lost season.

I guess we judge it in years to come.

Yes because elite talent only comes at pick 1 in the draft.
Everyone wanted us to tank the last round of 2017 and get pick 1, yet the guy we got at pick 4 just had a 38 disposal game, while the guy taken at pick 1 has been sitting on the sidelines injured all year.

We already have people 'disappointed' in Phillips apparently not living up to expectations as a pick 3 so far. What do you think is going to happen when Horne, who is hyped up as a generational talent, comes in next year plays on a HFF and averages 10 touches a game? Half the boards already got him pencilled in for a 20 & 2 average.

Who said that one player will solve our problems?

It's not unrealistic to think he could have an impact in his first year. He could be our Sam Walsh.

Lol.
Walsh is a great player. Hasn't helped Carlton much though.

Without reviewing the stats and reading the reviews:

Positives:
- The four quarter players - Simpkin, MacKay, Turner, Hall, Mahony and special mention to Thomas who was held all day yet stood up when the match was slipping away.
- The across the board effort in the first two quarters. Ziebell, Larkey, Zuhaar and a many others looked a million dollars and it's hard not to think this will be our new normal one day. Some of our quick ball movement around the packs was as good as I've seen this year.
- Ford showed some talent, can't wait to see more. Campbell put a question mark against Xerri being the second ruck and looked comfortable contesting the ball across half forward.
- We were touched up by some 'top 6' footy right when the game was in our control. Good, I'm glad it happened. The last thing we need right now is a four goal victory over an insipid soon-to-be-ex premiership team who can't be arsed.

Negatives:
- Just to contradict myself, we went from displaying the best of what the future holds to reminding the footy world that we can lose games by 10+ goals under sustained pressure. Understandable that is happened, maybe even forgivable, but we certainly took the shine off what we achieved in the first half.
- Arguably lost the game in the second quarter when we controlled the game without damaging the scoreboard. A lost opportunity to have the experience of defending a big lead against the reigning premiers.
- Maybe unfair, but hard not to notice that Stephenson didn't break the lines and kick a goal or two when we needed it most today. Am I nit picking? Probably nitpicking. Acknowledge a lot of players went missing.

All said I'm feeling oddly grumpy about the result. Probably just a bit of impatience seeing our future right in front of us and it not being here just yet.

Last edited:
What has Mahoney done wrong? He’s just a kid learning his craft and has been damn good. Another very clever game today and plays a very important role with pressure, smarts and ball use inside 50 (something we lack). People are too harsh on Mahoney, we need to understand that role players are vitally important to all good teams and he is The perfect example.

Yes Fruity Alison concurs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was heaps of fun watching Richmond be a hot mess in the first half, less fun watching us be insipid in the second half.

As we have just started to play four quarter footy this felt unexpected and was immensely frustrating.

I felt Luke Mac really struggled & for the love of the footy gods I never want to hear “not 15, play on” in the backline again.

It was heaps of fun watching Richmond be a hot mess in the first half, less fun watching us be insipid in the second half.

As we have just started to play four quarter footy this felt unexpected and was immensely frustrating.

I felt Luke Mac really struggled & for the love of the footy gods I never want to hear “not 15, play on” in the backline again.
I reckon 15 metres for us seems to be very different to 15m for a side like Geelong. Really pisses me off.

As much as we wanna make those quick, sharp pick off kick, there are times where a long down the line ball is more appropriate.

if we can clear that up we can lower our d50 turnovers.

Yeah, get rid of Hall.

For the 2 brilliant kicks a game he pulls off, he *s up 10 which put us under pressure. Same for the skipper, same for Mahony, same for Turner and Dumont.

It’s the same blokes each week and has been for years.

Mahoney hasn't done anything 'wrong'. He is a young player making his way/learning and developing his role.

If he keeps improving and rounding out his game then he will play - it will be good to see how he develops and how much improvement he has in him.

But as we get all players on the park the competition for the last 4-6 spots will be tough - and that's the way it should be if we want to get out of the bottom 4.

Positives:
- The four quarter players - Simpkin, MacKay, Turner, Hall, Mahony and special mention to Thomas who was held all day yet stood up when the match was slipping away.
- The across the board effort in the first two quarters. Ziebell, Larkey, Zuhaar and a many others looked a million dollars and it's hard not to think this will be our new normal one day. Some of our quick ball movement around the packs was as good as I've seen this year.
- Ford showed some talent, can't wait to see more. Campbell put a question mark against Xerri being the second ruck and looked comfortable contesting the ball across half forward.
- We were touched up by some 'top 6' footy right when the game was in our control. Good, I'm glad it happened. The last thing we need right now is a four goal victory over an insipid soon-to-be-ex premiership team who can't be arsed.

Negatives:
- Just to contradict myself, we went from displaying the best of what the future holds to reminding the footy world that we can lose games by 10+ goals under sustained pressure. Understandable that is happened, maybe even forgivable, but we certainly took the shine off what we achieved in the first half.
- Arguably lost the game in the second quarter when we controlled the game without damaging the scoreboard. A lost opportunity to have the experience of defending a big lead against the reigning premiers.
- Maybe unfair, but hard not to notice that Stephenson didn't break the lines and kick a goal or two when we needed it most today. Am I nit picking? Probably nitpicking. Acknowledge a lot of players went missing.

All said I'm feeling oddly grumpy about the result. Probably just a bit of impatience seeing our future right in front of us and it not being here just yet.
Ldu? 37?

I think that's tough. He was noticeable taking some of those runs through the middle and even winning a couple of clearances in there. You can't bank on a mid/high HFF being a week in week out goalkicker - that's not fair on him IMO. If he plays primarily as a forward that might be a fair take.

First half we moved the ball with short passing abs precision kicking .
Second half Richmond adjusted and denied us the options. Hopefully Noble learns as well as we get more experienced to adapt on the run.
We are bottom of the ladder for a reason.

Tanking talk aside, that was a poor effort above the shoulders after half time, heaps of 1 percenters under no pressure just not getting applied, Dumonts flatfooted attempt of mark, Mahonys footy card look away handball, Ziebells turn over, TTs unpressured kick OOB. all set the scene in the first 10 mins of the 3rd and from there it was all she wrote.
That about sums it up. Turnovers. I though we were winning the clearances in the main, but just kept turning it over. Richmond couldn't have played any worse in the first, they were always going to up the pressure after that, we didn't respond. Or we did, but with turnovers. 33 points. On what I saw in the first, thats a bit hard to swallow, and you are right, some of the mistakes were simply not good enough.

Bonar should never play again.
Has shown absolutely nothing on 3 years.
The game against Magpies earlier this year convinced me this footballer has no heart, footy IQ or ability.

Walker is like a dear in headlights. I can understand why we have to play him but seriously we need to upgrade on this spud desperately.

Campbell is a s**t truck and all the muppets on this board continually calling for his inclusion know nothing about football. I’d rather play a non ruckman as our second ruck. Need to delist this year.

Ziebull I love him but is there a worst decision maker or kick in our team other than the above 3 muppets. Should not be guaranteed games next year, and needs to relinquish the captaincy.

Our backline needs to addressed in the next draft period ahead of any other need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back