Review Round 21, 2021 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The main key element to yesterday's win for me was we had an even contribution from all players for the first time in a month. There we no passengers (although some could have done more than they did) and our pressure was constant throughout the entire game. Charlie still could do more. He walks too much and isn't good when the ball is with the opposition backs. That said, his attitude was much better than the previous few games and he should not feel guilty accepting his paycheck this week.
The point about his ball movement up the field is spot on. He takes a mark. Stands still for quite a while , upraised palms saying who's going to lead for me and finally chips it sideways 15m. It's too late. I'd be instructing Charlie to play on wherever possible , he plays his best footy on instinct and overthinks it too much when he has to think about it.

My only concern was the contested marks that Freo took up forward, Darcy, Meek and Treacy all clunked one or two.Usually spoiling the contested marks is one of our strengths.
Conversely, aside from Oscar did we take any up forward that led to goals?

Hilarious that Bailey went to ground to retrieve possession after his great tackle with Daniher & McCluggage running past to receive the handball that should have been given. I guess he will get better at being a little less selfish as he matures.

He was better in at least two instances I can think of, hitting up a leading target i50 rather than having a ping from around 55m, and later on shrugging two tackles in the pocket then giving the ball to zorks to kick a goal rather than trying a miracle snap. Still could do with him being a bit more unselfish but way way better than the last 3 weeks.

My only concern was the contested marks that Freo took up forward, Darcy, Meek and Treacy all clunked one or two.Usually spoiling the contested marks is one of our strengths.
Daniher took a decent overhead mark at the back of a pack, and another more of a running lead that put him out on the boundary right on half time. Apart from that, I think most/all other marks in our F50 were on the lead.

He was better in at least two instances I can think of, hitting up a leading target i50 rather than having a ping from around 55m, and later on shrugging two tackles in the pocket then giving the ball to zorks to kick a goal rather than trying a miracle snap. Still could do with him being a bit more unselfish but way way better than the last 3 weeks.
It's a bit of a balance cause we don't want him being too unselfish as he's probably one of our better play finishers.

I think it was pretty clear that we were missing that second key defender. Both Lester and Birchall did well in playing tall (and the mids and forwards kept the pressure up stopping clean ball movement going forward from Freo), but we would likely be better if any of Adams, Payne or Gardiner were playing. A better team would likely have have exploited us with that lineup

It's a bit of a balance cause we don't want him being too unselfish as he's probably one of our better play finishers.
Fagan has repeatedly said to his players that: if there is a better option, give it off rather than blaze away. There are no exceptions to this rule. I guess its up to the player to decide if there is a team mate in a better position to take the shot...providing he looks at his options first before having a ping of course.

Fagan has repeatedly said to his players that: if there is a better option, give it off rather than blaze away. There are no exceptions to this rule. I guess its up to the player to decide if there is a team mate in a better position to take the shot...providing he looks at his options first before having a ping of course.
I do agree with that but I would consider Bailey 45 meters out on a slight angle a better option than most others straight in front, they may be in a better position but he is the best option.

It's just my observation which may or may not be correct that we get cost goals from being over unselfish more often than the goals we get from it.

Of course what can't be measured is the flow on effect on team culture .

I think the round 1 game against sydney is a good example of Zac blazing away. Kicked 3 and from memory was probably the right option to go for those, no problem with that, but then also kicked at least two from 55m which were way off or out of bounds on the full when he should have tried to hit up a lead.

Like with Charlie, rewards seem to come for Zac when he is more unselfish so hopefully he continues to work on getting the balance right. A special special player but need to see more team play and defensive effort on a consistent basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the round 1 game against sydney is a good example of Zac blazing away. Kicked 3 and from memory was probably the right option to go for those, no problem with that, but then also kicked at least two from 55m which were way off or out of bounds on the full when he should have tried to hit up a lead.

Like with Charlie, rewards seem to come for Zac when he is more unselfish so hopefully he continues to work on getting the balance right. A special special player but need to see more team play and defensive effort on a consistent basis.
he will.

Wow I thought it looked incidental
No it was very intentional, contact lingered even when Berry struggled. Starc also cleared by the way for his "bump" that was just both players going for the ball.

if it was one of our plays be more then 1 week
The way Berry went on you knew something grubby happened. He normally does not go on like a few others.

Back