Autopsy Round 21, 2021: Hawthorn smack Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

So we've gone from race to wooden spoon to a chance for 13th place if we win our last two games.

We've found Bramble, Moore and Nash can play.

We have out of the team Day CJ Impey Gunston and Sicily.
Maybe just maybe we aren't as bad as we think we are.

Last edited:
That's bullshit. So clarko has put Nash and Hanrahan in the midfield? Please.

like Shakespeare, the Clarko years were a collaboration. But he was the main man. Any amount of conspiracy theories won’t change that

In my opinion if we nail this draft (3 picks in the top 25), another 4 or 5 of our fringe players step up out of the blue (like Kosi, CJ, Moore and Bramble have this season), our 6 national draft picks (hardly played yet) from the last 2 begin to emerge as quality players (Day already has), the return of Sicily and Gunston, players step up a class (Scrimshaw goes from B to A grader) we can play finals as soon as next year, definitely 2023. Becoming a premiership contender is so hard to judge, the Dees emergence this season as one was hard to predict. What I will say in terms of the current contenders is that for the Hawks, there is a hill to climb to the top not a mountain.
Most important list needs in my opinion:
1. Key defender to play on the gorillas to replace Hartigan beyond next season
2. Classy Inside/outside midfielder e.g Callaghan
3. Speedy, ball carrying outside midfielder/wingman e.g Sinn
Confident with Reeves in the Ruck and Lewis and Kosi can hold down the key forward positions moving forward. They are young, developing nicely and don’t need to be the next Franklin or Roughead.
Still want a young ruck to develop over the next couple of years. Cegs & BB will most likely disappear within a year of each other leaving Reeves on his own.

Still want a young ruck to develop over the next couple of years. Cegs & BB will most likely disappear within a year of each other leaving Reeves on his own.
Ease TOB into it. Imagine planning to play against reeves and jumping Timmy (where he doesn’t need to mark it)

Given our injury list and the sh*t storm that has been going on behind the scenes, It's a credit to the players who continue to show up with winning intent.
The crap from the last month may have deeply affected some clubs but it says a hell of a lot about the culture and personnel at our club and the subsequent resilience that's resulted from that great culture.

Harry is fringe best 22, shows good composure and has neat foot skills but lacks pace and physicality.
Disagree, agree with the other bloke tho. Been in ripping form all year, you can just about count he'll hit a target 9/10 times. He has composure and waits for the best option all the time, plays multiple positions and overall, kicking on both feet is good, composure is good, can be good above his head for a smaller fella and he isn't Bramble pace clearly but he's not slow. Physicality isn't a need for a winger but the fact is he's super clean and has been a one touch player this year so he can pick and turn through traffic. Also loves to tackle for someone who's small and according to you (not physical)

Harry is fringe best 22, shows good composure and has neat foot skills but lacks pace and physicality.
We are not going to be able to fit Impey, Day, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Sicily, Bramble, Jiath, DGB, Frost and Hartigan in the backline. Bramble and either Day/Impey will need to be pushed into the midfield.

Would have any of those who we need to push into midfield ahead of Morrison

We are not going to be able to fit Impey, Day, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Sicily, Bramble, Jiath, DGB, Frost and Hartigan in the backline. Bramble and either Day/Impey will need to be pushed into the midfield.

Would have any of those who we need to push into midfield ahead of Morrison
You can also throw in the likes of Downie, S Mitchell and our 1st pick in the upcoming national draft as players vying for Harry’s spot in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win today Moore was everywhere, Bramble playing like a veteran and Chad so good in the midfield. Really hope Chad has a good preseason and plays mid all year. Liked Howe again wonder if he is going elsewhere. Hope Worps is okay but time to rest up for next year. Kane Cornes still questioning if Scrimshaw is any good

For those getting caught up in draft position from what I have read this seems to be the year where if you're not holding #1 it probably doesn't really matter. Couldn't give a toss as long as we keep winning.

Winning is what it's all about. Building a winning culture and attitude is far more important than getting a draft pick 2 places ahead in the queue. The players aren't thinking about draft picks, and nor should they. They want to win. Finish the season with as many wins as possible, then see where we sit and explore our options.

Winning is what it's all about. Building a winning culture and attitude is far more important than getting a draft pick 2 places ahead in the queue. The players aren't thinking about draft picks, and nor should they. They want to win. Finish the season with as many wins as possible, then see where we sit and explore our options.
Absolutely. It's paramount that players like Koschitzke, Lewis, Brockman etc start to believe their contributions are good enough to help their team win matches at AFL level.
While I'd love to have Horne, I don't really want the pick required to secure him if it means we continued to lose matches, further consolidating that sense of unworthiness in our young players minds.
Just about the worst thing you could want from a playing group is the collective belief that someone else will come in and make them win.

Just about the worst thing you could want from a playing group is the collective belief that someone else will come in and make them win.

I've held this belief ever since I first heard the words 'Kreuzer Cup'. I remember thinking 'far our, this kid is either the messiah or they are putting a lot of pressure on him'.

Subsequently has a decent career bogged down by injuries and Carlton still suck.

It just isn't worth it to put your eggs in the 'best player in the draft' basket.

Melbournes failure was even worse when they became the first team sanctioned for tanking. They did it to get Tom Scully and Jack Trengove but ignore Dusty Martin because he didn't go to private school.

I've held this belief ever since I first heard the words 'Kreuzer Cup'. I remember thinking 'far our, this kid is either the messiah or they are putting a lot of pressure on him'.

Subsequently has a decent career bogged down by injuries and Carlton still suck.

It just isn't worth it to put your eggs in the 'best player in the draft' basket.

Melbournes failure was even worse when they became the first team sanctioned for tanking. They did it to get Tom Scully and Jack Trengove but ignore Dusty Martin because he didn't go to private school.

Good point to make, Kreuzer was a next level prospect at that point. Was pretty much assumed he was going to revolutionise the ruck position, Grundy before Grundy only with better marking and a genuine goal kicking threat. Carlton "won" Kreuzer, Richmond "lost" and got Cotchin - lucks a fortune.

Watching Scrimshaw hit targets with his elite foot skills was my highlight from this game, together with Moore’s continued growth as a dangerous small forward. Bramble has also been a revelation.
If we can recruit bring in 4 or 5 more pacy elite ball users over the next two years we will have addressed our “lack of polish” problem.
Good decision makers who can hit targets by hand and foot are our priorities.

The crap from the last month may have deeply affected some clubs but it says a hell of a lot about the culture and personnel at our club and the subsequent resilience that's resulted from that great culture.

It almost makes me think that from our perspective the crap of the last month was bad but from the club's it was good. Kind of like vomiting. You see someone chucking up and you think they are in a bad way, but if you're sick as a dog then the sweet relief of finally emptying your guts makes you feel like a million bucks and ready to get out of bed.

It almost makes me think that from our perspective the crap of the last month was bad but from the club's it was good. Kind of like vomiting. You see someone chucking up and you think they are in a bad way, but if you're sick as a dog then the sweet relief of finally emptying your guts makes you feel like a million bucks and ready to get out of bed.

Bit of a tactical chuck ya reckon?

Does seem that way, for all the crap we've been hearing about on the coaching and admin side there's been surprisingly little "player X is angry, wants to leave etc" through it all. Gunston report is pretty much all we've heard.

Harsh on Ceglar with a 4 held his own or maybe even beat Grundy, 7 for me.
Fair enough - I tend to judge rucks on their ability to generate opportunities from stoppages. I thought Grundy was much better at that, both by palming to advantage and by creating space with his body. It seems to me that Ceglar does his best work with his second effort when the the ball remains in dispute. I would be happier if he could create opportunities immediately because they are what really do damage by getting the ball moving faster than the opposition can set up. However, I concede that 4 was a bit harsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back