Preview Round 21, 2021: Hawthorn v Collingwood 8 August 2021, 2.10pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn seems to miss out a fair bit in conversations, hope he gets a run before the end of the year just as a selectors way of saying we haven't forgotten you. On the flip side we probably can't play him, Nash and Shiels in the one side together for reasons of balance, but maybe give Shiels a break and Finn a lookin. Agree we should be sending players with niggles off for operations now, especially DGB if he needs repair. And lets face it, this competitive beast will probably break himself they way he throws himself into contests - rather treat any niggles now and give him another pre-season to battle harden his body. Lets give Morris a go at the expense of Burgoyne to see what we have got. Don't want to see S. Mitchell in as there is nothing to be gained, lets give him another summer to allow his body to mature before throwing him into the fire.

Finn seems to miss out a fair bit in conversations, hope he gets a run before the end of the year just as a selectors way of saying we haven't forgotten you. On the flip side we probably can't play him, Nash and Shiels in the one side together for reasons of balance, but maybe give Shiels a break and Finn a lookin. Agree we should be sending players with niggles off for operations now, especially DGB if he needs repair. And lets face it, this competitive beast will probably break himself they way he throws himself into contests - rather treat any niggles now and give him another pre-season to battle harden his body. Lets give Morris a go at the expense of Burgoyne to see what we have got. Don't want to see S. Mitchell in as there is nothing to be gained, lets give him another summer to allow his body to mature before throwing him into the fire.

Jai and Ollie were the standout Hawthorn listed midfielders for Box Hill on the weekend. 9 clearances each. Hard to see Finn getting a look this week.

Jai and Ollie were the standout Hawthorn listed midfielders for Box Hill on the weekend. 9 clearances each. Hard to see Finn getting a look this week.
Thanks Bardo, you have just prompted some thoughts - If Nash could bed down a midfield spot as an inside-enforcer could we have twinkle-toes Hanrahan hanging off him for that lightning flick out of the pack (working as a double act through the midfield)? Probably should look at Ollie again now that I think of it.

Do you think Finn's papers are stamped, or has he just dropped down the pecking order?

Thanks Bardo, you have just prompted some thoughts - If Nash could bed down a midfield spot as an inside-enforcer could we have twinkle-toes Hanrahan hanging off him for that lightning flick out of the pack (working as a double act through the midfield)? Probably should look at Ollie again now that I think of it.

Do you think Finn's papers are stamped, or has he just dropped down the pecking order?

I hope not. Had huge hopes for Finn and Downie and neither has progressed as expected.

You'd definitely have to pair Ollie with our stronger and more defensive guys. Whether he gets selected will be very telling.

I wouldn't say Finn's papers are stamped. If you look at guys like Reeves, Jiath and Nash Vs guys like Harry Jones, Teia Miles or Jackson Ross, it's clear that there's a lot more than performance at VFL level that goes into list choices. Finn still has a great natural size, strength and endurance base. Finn could be a type where it will come together and his improvement will be rapid in the next 2 years. Still only coming up to 2 years in the system with basically half a season at Box Hill.

Yeah, anyone remember Josh Thurgood?
Yep, my lasting memory of Josh is C/O a goal of the year contender from Stuart Dew who made him look stupid when he turned him inside out in the forward pocket.

That was the moment I thought we need to get this bloke on our list :thumbsu:

Josh Morris will surely be a lock for the last few 3 games.

This game is deadset 50/50. It will be a big test for Reeves coming up against Grundy. The next three games will tell us whether Nash can make it as a midfielder. One game is probably not a big enough sample size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m more than a bit over all the negativity from outsiders this last week - they can all GAGF and EAD as far as I am concerned.

For Hawks naysayers - I hope you can get on the Mitchell wagon when it rolls around next year.

Meantime, full respect to the current list for giving Clarko a send off with how they played last week. I hope they can keep it up for the rest of the season.

GO HAWKS!

Whilst I would have liked to have seen more from Finn, I reckon he might be a late bloomer like J.Kennedy from the Swans. They are both very similar in terms of type of player and physical build (and of course with their family connections), so let's hope their development and careers turn out the same!

I wouldn't be surprised if Lewis has a week off. The medical team would be being extra cautious given his recent concussion so if there is any doubt they'll hold him back.
Kosi likely to return barring done unannounced injury.

In: Callow, Kosi, Hanrahan
Out: Breust (inj), Lewis (conc?), Burgoyne (managed)

Morris for Burgoyne i hope happens.
Callow or Kossie could come in which is interesting because it might be a little tall with TOB also playing down there and Collingwood not having a tall fwd line like at all.
Saunders/Seamus i'd like to see but we likely see Ollie but then again i dont know how to feel because he needs to play mid not fwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back