Game Day Round 21, 2021: St.Kilda v Sydney *PRIDE GAME* *COFFIELD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was interesting listening to Ratten's press conference, it seems that the trip to Perth didn't have a good impact. It's not really surprising, a week in quarantine, Marshall locked in his room, then our Carlton game gets moved forward a day.

I think last year Covid actually did us quite a few favours, but this year it has been a shitshow for us as well as the injuries and loss of form. Over the past month it meant we faced Port without a crowd (I think a crowd would have really helped that game), had to quarantine in Perth and lost Marshall for that game, then came up against Carlton off a short break after flying back on the redeye from Perth.

Just like 2021 in general, I'm pretty much ready for this season to be over. It is a pain in the arse, lockdowns every few weeks, and now the VFL will be cancelled so our plans for guys like Bytel and Hannebery are screwed.

Conversely, I think the Swans are a side that have flourished in this Covid season, a bit like us last year. Forced to go on the road, I think it's galvanised the group and given them focus and camaraderie. They are probably the in form team of the competition and have that vibe that they don't mind playing anywhere or going anywhere.

Right now when I look at our side I see that we are playing the kids. It will be great to see guys like Sharman and Leo run around again, here's hoping they are both draft steals because we really need a few. Good signs so far.

I'm glad to see Coffield back in the side, I felt he was very stiff to be dropped last week. We need him to get back into form, hopefully he can have a decent end to the year and then over the pre-season get really, really fit and maybe slim down a little. I think there are quite a few in that boat, I'd love to see some younger guys like Coff, Battle, Clark, Higgins, Long come back in ripping nick. That to me is what we need to get back where we want to be next year.

Great to have Sinclair back, he'd probably be top 3 in the best and fairest. But we lose Howard who would be up there as well. The story of our season really. Glad to see Joyce get another game, I like him as backup and his VFL form has been excellent.

To be honest I can't see any way we win the game. We just don't have the form or cattle at the moment, but that's ok, I just want to see more signs from young guys. And it's a step closer to the end of this awful season/year.

The fact i'm going to watch this makes me feel a bit dirty.

Masochism 101.
I will watch the first 15 or so minutes if we look ok, and not giving up I will keep watching. Otherwise it's the Olympics or Netflix for me.

I’m actually really happy to just be watching Saints footy. At this point in the season I don’t care if we win or lose, there are great positives to both. We win, hurrah! Great for the club culture, the fans and I tipped right! We lose, Damn! At least that may help us in our draft haul, and it’s expected due to our form/injuries. Hopefully either way we’ll see some glimpses from the youth, I think that’s what we all want.

Only 3 games left in the season, and then it’ll be the long wait until 2022. I’m going to enjoy Saints footy while it’s here - lockdown would be a hell of a lot harder without it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m checked out but I have a Sydney supporting acquaintance who has been betting cartons every week on Sydney games. He’s had a really good run and this week he’s singled me out for the bet. I’m not going to give him the satisfaction of not believing in our boys.

I do feel like if we fall behind early though we will capitulate. Hope Joyce has a blinder. We need him to hit his straps.

And Leo to another level.

Saints by 79.

Kent to kick 8 to more than justify his place in the side.

Dunstan to get 37 disposals, 24 clearances and 9 inside 50s to go with a couple of goals @ 100% disposal efficiency, whilst keeping Parker to 6 touches.

Highmore to keep Buddy statless.
Why the pessimism? Saints by 120. Coffield to have 50 possessions in his 50th game.

Not really arsed about this season and game anymore, lockdowns have ensured that. A GF in Perth? Ew. Play the younger lads, get some draft picks and move on to 2022

Not expecting a win, just hoping for a competitive performance and seeing our young guys like King, Connolly, Byrnes and Sharman stepping up for us.

With finals all but out of the question now there is no pressure on us so we should be looking to take the game on and play with a bit of dare and flair.

Might be good if we work out how to use our home ground as an advantage.

We've been shithouse at Marvel all year, we'd probably have a better chance of beating Sydney if we were playing them at the SCG.

The lack of a home crowd doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back