Review Round 21, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton have not given up on Crips playing

From AFL Site
CARLTON is heading to the AFL's Appeals Board as it looks to once again contest captain Patrick Cripps' two-match suspension.

Cripps was offered a two-game ban by the Match Review Officer following an incident that left Brisbane's Callum Ah Chee with concussion over the weekend, with his initial appeal then upheld by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.
no matter what you think of the incident..
Blues need him so you have to keep trying.

Carlton have not given up on Crips playing

From AFL Site
CARLTON is heading to the AFL's Appeals Board as it looks to once again contest captain Patrick Cripps' two-match suspension.

Cripps was offered a two-game ban by the Match Review Officer following an incident that left Brisbane's Callum Ah Chee with concussion over the weekend, with his initial appeal then upheld by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.
Pity we can't appeal Cal Ah Chee's concussion - Poor guy was lined up and taken out of the game and will miss at least 2 additional games.

Wing Attendance
Round 21
Carlton
Gabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
5​
2​
7​
10.77%​
J.Berry
5​
1​
6​
2​
5​
2​
8​
29​
44.62%​
Zorko
2​
2​
3.08%​
Bailey
1​
1​
2​
4​
8​
12.31%​
Robinson
4​
4​
2​
4​
14​
21.54%​
McCluggage
4​
4​
6.15%​
Lyons
1​
1​
1.54%​

Couldn't identify one attendance in the last quarter annoyingly...

Pity we can't appeal Cal Ah Chee's concussion - Poor guy was lined up and taken out of the game and will miss at least 2 additional games.
Cripps deserves 2 but understand Carlton trying
Just hope they fail
I think their used to be financial penalties if any appeal failed (Tribunal or AFL Appeal board) but not sure that is the case anymore
Can the appeals board increase the penalty? as i assume Carlton are not going for the bolded

However, clubs have the option of contesting a Tribunal decision at the Appeals Board so long as they meet one of four stipulations:

• Error of law
  • That the decision was so unreasonable that no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to the decision having regard to the evidence before it.
  • Classification of offence manifestly excessive or inadequate.
  • Sanction imposed manifestly excessive or inadequate.

Cripps deserves 2 but understand Carlton trying
Just hope they fail
I think their used to be financial penalties if any appeal failed (Tribunal or AFL Appeal board) but not sure that is the case anymore
Can the appeals board increase the penalty? as i assume Carlton are not going for the bolded

However, clubs have the option of contesting a Tribunal decision at the Appeals Board so long as they meet one of four stipulations:

• Error of law
  • That the decision was so unreasonable that no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to the decision having regard to the evidence before it.
I don't think they're appealing because it was inadequate so maybe that outcome is not possible.

There's still financial penalties - IIRC $10k for tribunal, not sure about AFL Appeals.

• Error of law
They can, but they would presumably only do so if requested - the AFL used the appeals board to slap Greene harder.

From the angle on the TV, he didn't try to spoil, he elected to bump.

But there was talk at the time and since that he did try to spoil and his eyes were on the ball. Apparently the reverse angle shows his arm outstretched to the ball.

If he was eyes on the ball, arm reaching for the ball, its a spoil, and a crash-the-pack that occurs 10 times a quarter. If it wasn't, it should be 2 weeks.

From the angle on the TV, he didn't try to spoil, he elected to bump.

But there was talk at the time and since that he did try to spoil and his eyes were on the ball. Apparently the reverse angle shows his arm outstretched to the ball.

If he was eyes on the ball, arm reaching for the ball, its a spoil, and a crash-the-pack that occurs 10 times a quarter. If it wasn't, it should be 2 weeks.
If he had gone at the contest with a desire to win the ball in the manner he talks about, he shoulder wouldn't of cannoned into Ah Chee's head, he wouldn't be concussed, and we wouldn't still be talking about it.

It felt on the day that he saw an opportunity to make his presence felt due to the scoreboard and took it. He has to pay the consequences for that choice.

I dont get this spoil argument. A spoil happens in a marking contest. There is added risk and added reward from a mark hence we give more leeway to defenders and their spoiling. Even then I think the Willie Rioli incident was poorly adjudicated and compromises players head protection.

Cripps and Ah Chee were not in a marking contest. They were in a hard ball get contest. In a hard ball vet contest the attacker has a right to have his head, hand and legs protected ie head high contact, kicking in danger or tripping rules. Its up to the defender to contest fairly without compromising the safety of the attacker. Cripps was careless in his duty to Ah Chee, hit him high and caused significant injury. 2 weeks is very lucky for Cripps.

11m ago
21:47

Cripps appeal: A second hour of deliberation​

Yep, that's right, we're still going.
Almost three hours of submissions and now into a second hour of deliberation as Patrick Cripps seeks to have his two-match suspension overturned.
Hang in there, people! – Michael Whiting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11m ago
21:47

Cripps appeal: A second hour of deliberation​

Yep, that's right, we're still going.
Almost three hours of submissions and now into a second hour of deliberation as Patrick Cripps seeks to have his two-match suspension overturned.
Hang in there, people! – Michael Whiting

Ridiculous. It's only dragging out because it's closer to finals and Carlton are sink without him. If this was round two, the two weeks would stand.

Now we know how long it takes to count Brownlow votes...had to clear him if he was close enough to ruin the spectacle.

That being said, I too thought it was better for us if he played against Melbourne and Collingwood. Might take a few of their guys out.

Absurd decision - he knew Cal was there, it was at a time in the game Carlton needed a lift and he deliberately pulverised an unsuspecting opponent.

And to think Mitch Robisnon got a week in round one for I'm still not sure exactly what.

Can we get there lawyers in the future?

Back