Autopsy Round 21, 2022: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

What does ancient history have to do with it?

I’m comparing us to 2 of the biggest clubs and the 2 most successful VFL clubs yes.

Carlton got Judd and he was on front of the sun promising 2 cups in 5 years…
-they have won 2 finals in the last 20 years.

Essendon, haven’t won a final since 2004!

If the leaders of our state and our country don't do what they propose to do... then we have the opportunity to vote them out every 4 years.

Unfortunately with a football club it is different, they can say whatever than want, promise what ever they want with no repercussions if they don't hit their targets.

That's the way it stands at the moment, and quite honest it sucks.

If the leaders of our state and our country don't do what they propose to do... then we have the opportunity to vote them out every 4 years.

Unfortunately with a football club it is different, they can say whatever than want, promise what ever they want with no repercussions if they don't hit their targets.

That's the way it stands at the moment, and quite honest it sucks.
Yeah you vote them out.
Then someone else comes in and makes false promises they don’t keep.
So what’s the difference?

Yeah you vote them out.
Then someone else comes in and makes false promises they don’t keep.
So what’s the difference?

So what's the point of even bothering then? You get the best operators in and try to fix it. If the next lot are s**t move them on. It's not a job for life.

So what's the point of even bothering then? You get the best operators in and try to fix it. If the next lot are s**t move them on. It's not a job for life.
Well I don’t bother listening to politicians or club politicians.

You will be happier if you don’t either.

I think we are in a much better state to build upon them 10 years ago.
Just keep moving forward, add more talent.

In the draft era (1986 onwards), Essendon and Carlton have won the same number of premierships as Sydney, North Melbourne, Adelaide, Collingwood and fewer than Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane and West Coast, with all of those premierships won over 20 years ago.

The "win at all costs, rules be damned" approach hasn't really worked either.
21st century:
Hawks 4
Tigers 3
Lions 3
Cats 3
Eagles 2
Swans 2
Dees 1
Dogs 1
Pies 1
Port 1
Stk 0
Ess 0
Blues 0
Crows 0
North 0
Gws 0
Suns 0
Freo 0

We’ve had our chances too.
Drawn grand final, Lost 2.
And lost 2 prelims in that time.

Well I don’t bother listening to politicians or club politicians.

You will be happier if you don’t either.

I think we are in a much better state to build upon them 10 years ago.
Just keep moving forward, add more talent.
Some sense, finally. Thanks and agree with everything you've said. Holding club officials to their word is just as dumb as holding politicians to it. In our case it's done for membership, in their case it's done for votes. No idea why anyone listens to anything any club says really.

Some sense, finally. Thanks and agree with everything you've said. Holding club officials to their word is just as dumb as holding politicians to it. In our case it's done for membership, in their case it's done for votes. No idea why anyone listens to anything any club says really.
Memberships = votes.

Memberships = votes.
They'll say literally anything to placate a fanbase. All clubs talk an incredible amount of s**t. No point taking any of it in IMO. They can say everything is going fine and the place is wonderful etc but we watch the games every week and ultimately we can decide for ourselves. Holding the club to some marketing road map to 2018 is really funny to me, as if the big wigs in suits can predict the on-field performance and not factor in that perhaps other teams may also improve in that time, lol. As if everything is linear. We'll just go up to the top of the ladder because they said so, lol. Actions speak louder than words is a good phrase, I think some here either forget or ignore that.

They'll say literally anything to placate a fanbase. All clubs talk an incredible amount of s**t. No point taking any of it in IMO. They can say everything is going fine and the place is wonderful etc but we watch the games every week and ultimately we can decide for ourselves. Holding the club to some marketing road map to 2018 is really funny to me, as if the big wigs in suits can predict the on-field performance and not factor in that perhaps other teams may also improve in that time, lol. As if everything is linear. We'll just go up to the top of the ladder because they said so, lol. Actions speak louder than words is a good phrase, I think some here either forget or ignore that.
Correct. 17 other clubs would have some sort of road map that says they aim to win a flag or be a good team. Statistically some of those have to fail but they’re all trying.

Correct. 17 other clubs would have some sort of road map that says they aim to win a flag or be a good team. Statistically some of those have to fail but they’re all trying.

Not many come out and do it because it makes them look foolish and like they are out of synch with reality. I hope that if the club misses finals next year the place gets a broom run through it. They are not getting the job done no matter how much you convince yourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just off the top of my head;

yhGlSBTg.jpg

339f76191ead97a6591b8faa11ed21f5

So you advocate to stop buying memberships to show them that they are full of s**t?
It's the only way you make your voice heard.

Not many come out and do it because it makes them look foolish and like they are out of synch with reality. I hope that if the club misses finals next year the place gets a broom run through it. They are not getting the job done no matter how much you convince yourselves.
Just because we aren't having tantrums every week doesn't mean we think they are getting the job done, either.

Just off the top of my head;

yhGlSBTg.jpg

339f76191ead97a6591b8faa11ed21f5

And both were he laughing stock of the AFL, we are just considered to be doing normal St Kilda things. It's sad that no-one even notices.

Five years ago the club was in dire straits. This administration has turned it around off field and at the end of the day that is actually more important than on field success because first and foremost it comes down to survival. Our future is secure now, Moorabbin, debt on the way down, 60k members.

On field it's been a disappointing year but it hasn't been a catastrophe, we are slowly moving in the right direction, let's hope we get there eventually. Sounds like there'll be more changes over the off-season, Lenny will be a wonderful get.

It's the only way you make your voice heard.

Just because we aren't having tantrums every week doesn't mean we think they are getting the job done, either.

I'm not a club official. If you were doing a s**t job in any real business you'd get moved on. I should put together a ticket for next year and spill the board if the wheels start falling off. Give them half a season and then shunt the campaigners. Get GT on side and see if his chiropractor and plumber want a spot on the board.

I'm not a club official. If you were doing a s**t job in any real business you'd get moved on. I should put together a ticket for next year and spill the board if the wheels start falling off. Give them half a season and then shunt the campaigners. Get GT on side and see if his chiropractor and plumber want a spot on the board.
You're unhinged though, so you'd probably send us backwards

Five years ago the club was in dire straits. This administration has turned it around off field and at the end of the day that is actually more important than on field success because first and foremost it comes down to survival. Our future is secure now, Moorabbin, debt on the way down, 60k members.

On field it's been a disappointing year but it hasn't been a catastrophe, we are slowly moving in the right direction, let's hope we get there eventually. Sounds like there'll be more changes over the off-season, Lenny will be a wonderful get.

Our future would have been secure if we hadn't had so much debt. We haven't got any players left from the coffee wingers crew any more. I like Moorabin but it secures nothing, it actually puts us in more danger because if the next TV rights deal falls short or the AFL need cash and call in loans we are on the margins. 60K members is still a donation if people don't turn up. If we'd played in 2 premierships we'd have spare cash to buy a ground so it's not really a better than on field success.

Missing finals again is a catastrophic fail and signing up a coach who looks completely out of control was a massive misstep right at a point that we are trying to rebuild credibility.

Slowly isn't something we can afford. Clubs are in their third successful rebuild before we've finished one of them. If we were any slower we'd rust.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back