Review Round 21, 2023 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey 3kz, what'd you think of fort?

I wasn't impressed. His connection with the mids wasn't great and that could be expected first game back, but I thought he offered a lot less around the ground. And he got physically pushed around a lot. Wouldn't think that's any different between the two levels so showed a deficiency.

For me, tonight put me firmly in the BigO camp.
I still feel that Big O is toward the bottom end of the 1st rucks in the comp, but I'll happily admit to being wrong after tonight. Fort is an excellent 2nd ruck and I think shows his best when Oscar is carrying the load. As a first ruck it just isn't there

I still feel that Big O is toward the bottom end of the 1st rucks in the comp, but I'll happily admit to being wrong after tonight. Fort is an excellent 2nd ruck and I think shows his best when Oscar is carrying the load. As a first ruck it just isn't there
Must admit I was surprised to see Kingy on First Crack list O as the fifth best ruck on the league but he did say he loves big O whic I assumed was more cult like but still good recognition even if I agree with you - of first rucks not all rucks.

Sad news about Kalin’s Dad, reckon the like if Gunston and Jerry will be help out the young man significantly during this extremely difficult time.

As much as Dev is (understandably) not happy playing in the VFL and is desperate to play more games and more time in the AFL, he understands there is significant competition for a place in the 22 and also has clear communication from the club as to what he needs to improve on to get that regular spot locked in. He also is a smart lad and understands that right now there is a lifetime opportunity to play for a club that could win a flag this year and at least a couple of more years from now. (which is what 99% footballers ultimately play the game for.)

Just stuns me that a negative comment like that comes after a real gutsy win that all Lions supporters should be celebrating and appreciating.

3 Q's on this one then.
Going to keep them vague as I know you probably can't give out full answers. You can answer in hot/warm or cold/brisk if you want.

1. Is Ralphy on the ball when he's mentioned that Dev is in talks to resign for a couple more years?
2. Am I right in assuming that his improvement needs to be on his disposal?
3. How close is he to securing a spot in the 22?

Would like to see Dev, Sharp and Smith get a real go next year, but Dev is the one with question mark around him being OOC.

AFL website has Neale as our best, then Hugh, Berry, Rayner, Cameron and Linc.

Neither Joe or Call rated a mention.

Bit of a head scratcher for me too. Lachie did have good last quarter but he was mostly well held and had some bad moments with fumbling ground balls that he would normally snaffle.

So "best" for is.....nah!!

Berry was the standout in my view

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree about Berry. I had questioned his performances of late, but he really stepped up yesterday. That spoil was a goal saver, because Fremantle were out. He was also sticking his tackles and showing real desperation. Perhaps he got a rev up during the week, perhaps he just stood up and showed leadership of his own accord, maybe his shoulder was feeling stronger, who knows, but he certainly brought his A+ game and reminded everyone what he can do. He is ‘second man picked’ if he can play like that regularly.

I wouldn’t change a thing in our backline unless we desperately had to. I would prefer to manage Payne by lightening / tapering his training load. If it was the 80’s or 90’s he would spend some time in the Hyperbaric Chamber. Surely there must be non invasive therapies to help get him going. If worst comes to worst, I’d give him a spell in the final round and give Joyce a run. That said, if it is just a niggle, he could rest this week and Joyce could come in. Then we could get Payne right for the Collingwood game.

Payne is an absolute gun and a vital part of our defense because we have got his role right and he can play to his strengths. The inclusion and form of Wilmot, Coleman, Starcevich, McKenna and some other bloke whose name escapes me, has meant that Payne can focus on dominating in the air where he is super strong and leave the contested ground ball work to those who are more suited to that work. Jed Adcock has done a fantastic job as our Defensive Coach this year.
Hopefully St.Kilda have given up by the last round, and Harris or Gardiner or possibly Joyce can take Max King, if Payne rested.
I wouldn’t change a thing in our backline unless we desperately had to. I would prefer to manage Payne by lightening / tapering his training load. If it was the 80’s or 90’s he would spend some time in the Hyperbaric Chamber. Surely there must be non invasive therapies to help get him going. If worst comes to worst, I’d give him a spell in the final round and give Joyce a run. That said, if it is just a niggle, he could rest this week and Joyce could come in. Then we could get Payne right for the Collingwood game.

Payne is an absolute gun and a vital part of our defense because we have got his role right and he can play to his strengths. The inclusion and form of Wilmot, Coleman, Starcevich, McKenna and some other bloke whose name escapes me, has meant that Payne can focus on dominating in the air where he is super strong and leave the contested ground ball work to those who are more suited to that work. Jed Adcock has done a fantastic job as our Defensive Coach this year.
I think you should leave praise such as "absolute gun" for your Lester post. For where he is at with his development, Payne has been impressive, especially the first half of the season. Harris is our #1 KPD and no doubt remunerated accordingly, thus comparing Payne with other teams #2 KPD types, I would have him right up there.

I love optimistic takes.

Minor premiers would be something of a miracle the way things were looking.

But if everything went our way I suppose it's possible.
That would give our current squad something that our 2001-2004 Team was unable to acheive.

Of course they will probably find comfort in their three premiership medallions :)

I actually don’t rate the dees draw as favourable. Carlton this weekend who are the inform team of the comp and Sydney at the scg in the final round which could define a top 8 berth for them. Sydney have the wood on the dees last few games and those last two encounters were at the G.
We have two home games left and a marvel game against the pies who are now beatable. If cats beat magpies this weekend and we do the following weekend we will be minor premiers

Plus the hawks, who can just about knock off anybody on their day now

Hopefully St.Kilda have given up by the last round, and Harris or Gardiner or possibly Joyce can take Max King, if Payne rested.

I think you should leave praise such as "absolute gun" for your Lester post. For where he is at with his development, Payne has been impressive, especially the first half of the season. Harris is our #1 KPD and no doubt remunerated accordingly, thus comparing Payne with other teams #2 KPD types, I would have him right up there.
Five years contract extension … clearly the club sees ‘gun like’ upside.

3 Q's on this one then.
Going to keep them vague as I know you probably can't give out full answers. You can answer in hot/warm or cold/brisk if you want.

1. Is Ralphy on the ball when he's mentioned that Dev is in talks to resign for a couple more years?
2. Am I right in assuming that his improvement needs to be on his disposal?
3. How close is he to securing a spot in the 22?

Would like to see Dev, Sharp and Smith get a real go next year, but Dev is the one with question mark around him being OOC.
Sorry Stevo but I can't answer those questions for 2 reasons. The first reson is i simply dont know what the club are thinking/negotiating with Dev and the second one is that there are times when some info passed on to me that is OK to share with BF and there is some info that I can't and is not to be made public as this one is.

My personal (nothing to do with the club) thoughts are:
1. Is Ralphy on the ball when he's mentioned that Dev is in talks to resign for a couple more years? 🤞 I hope so but if he wants to leave for better playing opportunities, I hope the club gets some reward back from a trade.
2. Am I right in assuming that his improvement needs to be on his disposal? I would say yes in both decision making and quality of disposal.
3. How close is he to securing a spot in the 22? Like 3 or 4 others, he is right there. More reason to grasp any opportunity with both hands when one does come his way.

My point is that it was a low percentage play. He had the sit and a punch would have put the ball 20 yards to the boundary
Wish he was Royce Hart though
That gives Freo a chance to lock in a f50 stoppage and potentially kick a goal.

If he marked it then he would've basically won the game for us. Sometimes individual moments of brilliance like that can be the difference.

Do you think Leo Barry should have marked that footy in the dying minutes of the 05 GF or should he have elected to spoil?

I love optimistic takes.

Minor premiers would be something of a miracle the way things were looking.

But if everything went our way I suppose it's possible.
I see minor premiers as like starting the Bathurst 1000 from pole position, both rarely go on to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interview is here for those interested.

I appreciate lachies opened about the gold coast game.

They thought under a new coach they'd just come out and play, instead they came out prepared and focused.

So our players were surprised and insufficiently prepared.

As a result lachie did his homework this week on understanding the players most likely to tag him.

As some have stated it was an unprofessional approach and they paid the price.

They won't be doing that again this season.

I appreciate lachies opened about the gold coast game.

They thought under a new coach they'd just come out and play, instead they came out prepared and focused.

As a result lachie did his homework this week on understanding the players most likely to tag him.

As some have stated it was an unprofessional approach and they paid the price.

They won't be doing that again this season.
Yep; surely that’s a shared responsibility on the players and coaches if homework wasn’t contemplated nor done. Even a week later I’m staggered by the comments and would’ve expected we prepared the same for playing Eagles or Pies. Even more reason a new coach given they’re likely to throw up different set ups and like.

Fage's presser >

Happy how we played out the last few minutes.
Neale/Dunkley really good last quarter.
Singled out Dev as being great in the last 5 minutes.
We didn't play great but we found a way to win, we dug deep.
Rayner stood up today, he was dynamic, he has been down for a couple of weeks.
Linc was great with his pressure.
They are flying back tomorrow not on the redeye tonight.
He thinks O and Kiddy will be available next week.

Fantastic to see Rayner back to playing brilliant footy. He really is the very definition of X factor

Fremantle v Brisbane​

10 Luke Jackson (FRE)
7 Jarrod Berry (BL)
4 Caleb Serong (FRE)
4 Hayden Young (FRE)
2 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Lincoln McCarthy (BL)
1 Harris Andrews (BL)

Surprised Cam or Joe didn't get any votes.

Yep; surely that’s a shared responsibility on the players and coaches if homework wasn’t contemplated nor done. Even a week later I’m staggered by the comments and would’ve expected we prepared the same for playing Eagles or Pies. Even more reason a new coach given they’re likely to throw up different set ups and like.
It's not that simple unfortunately.
Take someone like Muhammad Ali, in his toughest challenges he worked harder than anyone in the gym, when coming up against guys that he knew he would easily account for, he still worked hard but not to the same level. I would imagine it is the same in all sports. In an ideal world you would do the exact same amount of work regardless of who the opponent was but realistically, sometimes it's hard to get up to that level when you think something is going to be easy or you don't believe the outcome matters that much.

I seem to remember years back there was an article or a piece on how Neale and Lyons worked together to deconstruct the opposition midfields ... I wonder if that still happens when they are playing in different teams...

I seem to remember years back there was an article or a piece on how Neale and Lyons worked together to deconstruct the opposition midfields ... I wonder if that still happens when they are playing in different teams...
From some other comments here, it sounds like JL is still very involved in our midfield strategy at AFL level.

Definition of an ugly win. I thought we showed real character to be able to hunker down and just slowly work our way back into the contest - especially considering we were down at half time. Travelling to the west is always a tough ask and Freo were not going to roll over given how important that game was in the context of their season. Our defence in particular was brilliant - Freo had a lot of quality entries off the back of some brilliant run along the wings.

Ah Chee, Berry and McCarthy all played brilliantly which was great to see. Bailey will benefit massively from getting the run into the legs although he's not the answer to the hole in the midfield left by Ashcroft. We are still clearly a midfielder short which was exacerbated by Neale and Dunkley both having poor games by their standards. It was very frustrating watching the Docker's midfielders just punch the ball out of the centre for the majority of the match. Having our prime movers down on form just makes that win even more impressive for me. We took the lessons from the Melbourne game and implemented them perfectly.

Whilst we weren't perfect we managed to nab the four points (and still fail to grab second spot) which is all we can ask for in the end.

As much as Dev is (understandably) not happy playing in the VFL and is desperate to play more games and more time in the AFL, he understands there is significant competition for a place in the 22 and also has clear communication from the club as to what he needs to improve on to get that regular spot locked in. He also is a smart lad and understands that right now there is a lifetime opportunity to play for a club that could win a flag this year and at least a couple of more years from now. (which is what 99% footballers ultimately play the game for.)

What exactly is this ? If he slightly struggles with disposal he makes up with pressure and holding tackles. Should be in the team

This is what I’ve been saying all year, and why I’m not so concerned for the finals - all the games we’ve lost this year have been “easy” games bar the Melbourne game (which was purely a tactical error), we’ve won all of our “hard” games. Against the better sides we seem to do our homework, come in with a plan and execute it fairly well, whereas against the “easy” teams we seem to just assume they’ll take care of themselves - which is all well and good but they haven’t at all.

What Lachie said in that interview essentially confirms it

Back