Review Round 21, 2023 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What exactly is this ? If he slightly struggles with disposal he makes up with pressure and holding tackles. Should be in the team
Especially given some of the disposal bloopers we saw on the weekend that cost us goals.

I really feel like we are going to win our next six games of football and we all know what that means. 🏆

I don't know about others, but I can say I believe in every word you say wholeheartedly.

Lets dream big and go with 35. It's a lucky number I hear.
Just rewatched the game. Check out his effort in the passage starting 1:05:37 in.

This is the sort of desperate and very clever football that Number 35 plays, and which goes unnoticed by many.

You could say the same thing about tackles that didn't stick as well.
I just wouldn't be surprised if Dev comes in for finals though like last year.
Really hoping so. Robertson is the sort of junk yard dog we need in the team.

I really feel like we are going to win our next six games of football and we all know what that means. 🏆

Fagan keeps selecting his "premiership-winning" pets all through 2024?

I haven't watched the replay yet but here are some thoughts.

We won a tough one on the road where the opposition kicked some goals out of their ar..s. Haven't seen that too often.

Thought we lost the mid field as Seong and Young were clearly better then anything we had. Didn't put a midfielder in my votes.

The defence stood up .Payne started poorly going a low percentage mark rather than the safe spoil and coughed up their first goal. He didn't put a foot wrong for the rest of the day. Hugh, similarly , late in the game, thought he was Royce Hart, and drifted across a pack deep in defence, went the mark. dropped it and the spillage cost a goal. Play the percentages. Andrews played well but Lester is starting to intrigue me. How has he played so poorly, compared to his recent form, for MOST of his career? Are the coaches to blame?

Remember we were having a Gardiner/Lester discussion awhile back!

At the start of the last quarter I remarked to Mrs DF that to win, the tall forwards had to kick some goals. Hippy, Gunston and Joe all goaled in the last quarter which dragged us across the line.

The rucks are a problem. Oscar is handy and Fort is a handy backup but neither are all that good. i favour playing both and running a fresh ruckman all the time, with Joe also going in there. This limits flexibility elsewhere obviously, but the rucks are our weakest spot on the list.

Grundy anyone?

I think that Lester is an example of an average player benefiting from playing in a great team and being surrounded by above average to elite players

I don't know about others, but I can say I believe in every word you say wholeheartedly.
I just want to say this PUBLICLY Nunez - I really appreciate your posting over the last couple of weeks. You have been positive and optimistic and delusional in equal measure and it has helped to hold things together. Same goes for you Gadzorks and Dalions, you have both been posting some strong ‘takes’ in the last few weeks. It is a stressful time if the year and people are passionate about our club, which often can ruffle feathers, but at the end of the day we all want the same thing for the club we love … a flag in 2023! At this time of the year, passion is a good thing, it comes with the territory.

I think that Lester is an example of an average player benefiting from playing in a great team and being surrounded by above average to elite players
Couldn’t disagree more. He is making an active and powerful contribution, in terms of his football and his leadership. He is in our BEST 22 and as martinson said yesterday, he is a ‘lock’ in a side that is going to go deep into September and just might win a FLAG. He’s earned his spot and deserves some respect.

You should stop fishing, because you aren’t going to get any bites. I see Nathan Barley is in the boat. May as well get your lines in boys.

Last edited:
It's not that simple unfortunately.
Take someone like Muhammad Ali, in his toughest challenges he worked harder than anyone in the gym, when coming up against guys that he knew he would easily account for, he still worked hard but not to the same level. I would imagine it is the same in all sports. In an ideal world you would do the exact same amount of work regardless of who the opponent was but realistically, sometimes it's hard to get up to that level when you think something is going to be easy or you don't believe the outcome matters that much.

Yeah. Except ... The players and coaches all repeatedly say it's an even competition and they have to take every team seriously.

Platitudes and all.

When you win a flag as a coach you get COMPLETE AMNESTY for years to come. I’d love to see Fagan achieve that.

Yeah. Except ... The players and coaches all repeatedly say it's an even competition and they have to take every team seriously.

Platitudes and all.
That is also what they tell themselves. But realistically, it just isn't what happens in my experience, much like anything in most people's private or working life. It's fine to say the Eagles are going to be as difficult as the Pies but it's almost impossible to make yourself believe it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our only weakness that I believe can be exposed throughout a game right now is our centre clearance issues. If we can sort those out, by strategy or personnel, we will make and hopefully win the GF. If we don't then tbh we could still win it but the heart will be in the mouth a lot more.

That is also what they tell themselves. But realistically, it just isn't what happens in my experience, much like anything in most people's private or working life. It's fine to say the Eagles are going to be as difficult as the Pies but it's almost impossible to make yourself believe it.

I wonder how the player week is structured.

How do they get vision of opponents? Is it generated by club employees and they are supposed to work their way through it in their own. It is something they do on their own in their own time?

Did the coaches think let's let the guys have a light week cause the next two months are intense?

There's so much we can never know, about players and the club.

I wonder how the player week is structured.

How do they get vision of opponents? Is it generated by club employees and they are supposed to work their way through it in their own. It is something they do on their own in their own time?

Did the coaches think let's let the guys have a light week cause the next two months are intense?

There's so much we can never know, about players and the club.
I'm not so sure about what goes on today but in my time of being closer to clubs the top teams often didn't prepare as professionally against the weaker teams because they knew they'd beat them anyway.

It's a lot more random now. Nearly every team has a lot of good players and they can ambush you on their day if you're not fully up to it.

As much as Dev is (understandably) not happy playing in the VFL and is desperate to play more games and more time in the AFL, he understands there is significant competition for a place in the 22 and also has clear communication from the club as to what he needs to improve on to get that regular spot locked in. He also is a smart lad and understands that right now there is a lifetime opportunity to play for a club that could win a flag this year and at least a couple of more years from now. (which is what 99% footballers ultimately play the game for.)

Just stuns me that a negative comment like that comes after a real gutsy win that all Lions supporters should be celebrating and appreciating.
Fair point about the gutsy win.

And fair point about Dev being told there are aspects of his game that he needs to work on in the reserves

But can anyone provide a rational explanation why a bloke like Dev is told to work on his game in the reserves - and when he is selected, barely given a run in the position that he has excelled in the juniors (inside mid)

while at the same time this has never happened to Rayner (never dropped to the reserves and given feedback about what he needs to work on) and instead Rayner is trialled in all sorts of roles including the backline to try and ‘find’ a position to keep him in the team?

How is that fair? How can one set of standards apply to one player and not the other?

When you win a flag as a coach you get COMPLETE AMNESTY for years to come. I’d love to see Fagan achieve that.
grin - I cannot for moment imagine that we will swear off selection night melts for 2+ years just because we won a flag in 2023 **

** admitedly there will be more credibility associated with maybe he knows what he is doing after all attached...

Personally I think if we aren't ruthless in the Grand Final and only win by 3-4 goals instead of 10+ Fages should be moved on and the playing list gutted and we go into full on rebuild mode.

Couldn’t disagree more. He is making an active and powerful contribution, in terms of his football and his leadership. He is CLEARLY A BEST 22 FOOTBALLER in a side that is going to go deep into September and just might win a FLAG. He’s earned his spot and deserves some respect.

You should stop fishing, because you aren’t going to get any bites. I see Nathan Barley is in the boat. May as well get your lines in boys.
And looking forward to the contract extension announcement any day too; deserves at least another one or two.
Fair point about the gutsy win.

And fair point about Dev being told there are aspects of his game that he needs to work on in the reserves

But can anyone provide a rational explanation why a bloke like Dev is told to work on his game in the reserves - and when he is selected, barely given a run in the position that he has excelled in the juniors (inside mid)

while at the same time this has never happened to Rayner (never dropped to the reserves and given feedback about what he needs to work on) and instead Rayner is trialled in all sorts of roles including the backline to try and ‘find’ a position to keep him in the team?

How is that fair? How can one set of standards apply to one player and not the other?
Wouldn’t it be nice if one of these supposed AFL journos actually asked Fagan the direct question; I mean isn’t that their job or is the football public too stupid to actually want to hear insights such as this?

Umpires seem to have an inbuilt dislike for Joe. If there is ever a technical one they are going to pull, Joe is almost invariably the victim.

It's inconceivable that they would pay like frees against their pin up boys and pets, of which there are far too many to list. I bet most here coud name a few though
To be fair, this is mostly on Joe after spending most of 2021 playing for free kicks and getting them. The umpires have caught on to his antics since so now he basically has to be hung, drawn and quartered to earn a free kick.

Sometimes you reap what you sow.

To be fair, this is mostly on Joe after spending most of 2021 playing for free kicks and getting them. The umpires have caught on to his antics since so now he basically has to be hung, drawn and quartered to earn a free kick.

Sometimes you reap what you sow.
Never seemed to apply to Hawkins or Reiwoldt.

Never seemed to apply to Hawkins or Reiwoldt.
Hawkins even gets away with infringing, not just playing for others infringing on him.

Back