Strategy ROUND 21 - Changes v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs tend to consider 1st - 4th year players as developing players.

At this club I think its 1st-8th year players [under 25's] but point taken, to me there's a pretty big difference between an 18 year old and a 22 year old. s**t Andrew Gaff is 25 and has just played his 150th, the gap between developing player and established senior player/veteran would then be perhaps a 6-8 week period sometime in your 5th year. No 23 year olds on our list though if I'm not mistaken so hard to point to an example.

he played well when pyke was with us, fingers crossed
Cripps has already moved back to WA, i doubt the club would send him off again as part of a package deal.

That's a tad too ruthless for the granny club :oldman::oldwoman:

He also has diabetes. The uni students would be marching the streets in protest if a minority copped such 2nd class treatment.
I was referring to Karpany

Karps spot should have been secure for the rest of the season. His longest run of games was 3 (until injury). It takes more than that for a young player to really adjust to AFL level and truly feel like they belong out there. We've seen what it's done for Duggan, Nelson, Sheed and Barrass when Simmo, The other coaches and the MC backed them in. It's sending a message to the younger lads that you're not allowed to be inconsistent at AFL level while find your feet but it's perfectly fine for senior players like Cripps or if you're a young player that Simmo and the MC have a soft spot for.

Now that I got that little rant out, happy with the in's. And the other two outs, Schoey and Masto didn't deserve to keep their spot after last weekend.

Changes are meh.

Expected Priddis to come back and he is an improvement on Masten which is a scary thought.

Vardy back to toil away in the ruck. Hopefully a few weeks rest from AFL will freshen him up. Schoey has been terrible so no surprise there.

Good to see Jetta back. Karpany has been pòor for the last 2 weeks but Cripps has been crap since he came back from injury. But Cripps seems to be one of the golden boys so not surprised (but disappointed) that Cripps survived and Karpany made way

Karps spot should have been secure for the rest of the season. His longest run of games was 3 (until injury). It takes more than that for a young player to really adjust to AFL level and truly feel like they belong out there. We've seen what it's done for Duggan, Nelson, Sheed and Barrass when Simmo, The other coaches and the MC backed them in. It's sending a message to the younger lads that you're not allowed to be inconsistent at AFL level while find your feet but it's perfectly fine for senior players like Cripps or if you're a young player that Simmo and the MC have a soft spot for.

Now that I got that little rant out, happy with the in's. And the other two outs, Schoey and Masto didn't deserve to keep their spot after last weekend.

He got a taste when really to my mind he didn't necessarily deserve it. He may still come back this season but that 3 game run gives him the knowledge to see what it takes at the next level and should spur him on at pre-season. Whether that is with us or someone else is yet to be determined. (I don't rate him btw as i don't think he has the contested game to play up the ground and be successful as a mid, the aerial ability to be a flanker or the goal sense to be a true small forward)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with Karpanny being dropped, but it begs the serious question as to why he (a kid) can play a couple of bad games and get the chop, but le cras and cripps can playing 4,5,6 bad games straight and be certain starters?

Our match committee leaves a lot to be desired

Masten and Schofield certainly deserved to be dropped on merit. Probably Karpany too. Since Priddis was always going to play, I can't complain. Petrie needs support and Jetta in makes us better.

According to boondy, he apparently spurred EP from a 15 point deficit to a 84 point smashing after being moved to the centre. I haven't actually seen the game myself, but it sounds like Wellingham has slowly been gaining form over the past couple weeks.
Would be interesting to see him play in the midfield where we obviously got him to play originally, needs to remember how to kick though

I don't really understand how we've used him since he came over. From memory he was in and out of the side because injury, played a couple of games on the wing and then got shunted down to the backline.

I think you're pretty spot on. If I recall correctly, he was moved to the backline out of necessity after 2014 and has stayed there ever since.

Hope we play him in the midfield before the seasons done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back