Prediction Round 21: Changes Vs Brisbane + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s been over 3 months since Sturt had that meniscus knee surgery. 3-4 months is the general recovery period for this injury. Is it strange that he hasn’t even appeared to do some light running in the training photos? 🤔

Loved yesterday’s game. Went braced for ‘honorable loss’, and then we all know what unfolded.

With all respect due to the boys after their never-say-die effort, have they got the physical and mental reserves/maturity for another win on the trot?

I so want the answer to be “yes” but I honestly don’t know.

It’s been over 3 months since Sturt had that meniscus knee surgery. 3-4 months is the general recovery period for this injury. Is it strange that he hasn’t even appeared to do some light running in the training photos? 🤔
I am now slightly paranoid.

A lot to play for this week, we've had a few games like this so far this season but have really disappointed.

We really have to win, or at least be competitive for the entire game to consolidate our momentum and upward trajectory.

It's happened too many times with the media fawning over us for our 'youth' for us only to get rinsed the next week.

I am sure the Lions are going to red hot on the bounce back, I really hope the club is ready to meet that head on.

A lot to play for this week, we've had a few games like this so far this season but have really disappointed.

We really have to win, or at least be competitive for the entire game to consolidate our momentum and upward trajectory.

It's happened too many times with the media fawning over us for our 'youth' for us only to get rinsed the next week.

I am sure the Lions are going to red hot on the bounce back, I really hope the club is ready to meet that head on.

Yep, STB - as I queried earlier, have this group got the maturity and/or reserves to do it again?
Don't read your media, boys. Just do it!

We have to buck the trend sooner or later

Last week was great to be able to play out four quarters for a change - playing at home no doubt helps but we need to make this the standard. As for changes, clearly Banfield is out and Moose is back in (pending any other injury news). On top of this, I really liked the use of Blakely on the wing - seemed to suit him and we are in need of a winger so give him a full game there. Henry on the other wing also seemed to work well.

Watson's run from defense was great and he had a great showing for his first game in a while - other than the one cross across goals that cost - he won't do that again. Heaps better than Hughes so he stays in.

Having Meek make a good contest in a fair share of the ruck against Richmond - Darcy was able to play out the full game for the first time in a while.

Against Brisbane, we need Griff to start on Charlie Cameron and Moose to go to big Joe. Can't let Charlie get a run on first this time.

So only change is Moose for Banfield and Blakely in starting line-up. Sub TBD.

Last week was great to be able to play out four quarters for a change - playing at home no doubt helps but we need to make this the standard. As for changes, clearly Banfield is out and Moose is back in (pending any other injury news). On top of this, I really liked the use of Blakely on the wing - seemed to suit him and we are in need of a winger so give him a full game there. Henry on the other wing also seemed to work well.

Watson's run from defense was great and he had a great showing for his first game in a while - other than the one cross across goals that cost - he won't do that again. Heaps better than Hughes so he stays in.

Having Meek make a good contest in a fair share of the ruck against Richmond - Darcy was able to play out the full game for the first time in a while.

Against Brisbane, we need Griff to start on Charlie Cameron and Moose to go to big Joe. Can't let Charlie get a run on first this time.

I had a very different perspective on Watson's game. He regularly looked out of position, and any time there was anything approaching fast ball movement he got absolutely burnt heading back into the 50.
There was a number of times he completely lost sight of where the closest forward was, and it was only uncharacteristically bad I50s from Richmond that saved him.

I'd much prefer a fully fit Hughes and think he has him well covered, I guess the question is will Watson develop further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane also have that really tall ruckman/forward (sorry forgot the name) that needs to be covered. So I am thinking Griff will be getting that job and Cameron is probably getting Young which is a little scary or perhaps Ryan to be safe!

Oscar McInerney

I had a very different perspective on Watson's game. He regularly looked out of position, and any time there was anything approaching fast ball movement he got absolutely burnt heading back into the 50.
There was a number of times he completely lost sight of where the closest forward was, and it was only uncharacteristically bad I50s from Richmond that saved him.

I'd much prefer a fully fit Hughes and think he has him well covered, I guess the question is will Watson develop further.
Fair call on Watson's game. I'm in Sydney so Kayo doesn't give me a full perspective, but when he was involved he looked good - something to build on.

Is this on the TV, or at the game?
I was at the game, and my perspective is completely different.

Daniher and McStay are their two talls at the moment. They've been playing Fullarton as a back up ruck to McInerney.

McCarthy is other one along with Cameron that is hard to match up on in their forward line.

No point he won't return this year a slow and steady approach is better given the timing . He will have a program which requires some light training to build to a full tilt at the pre season which makes more sense.

Does anyone think Crowden did enough to keep his spot? I wasn't at the game but he seemed to be stationed at full forward fair bit. If he's in the side for defensive pressure is he doing enough?
Do we even have any fit forwards to bring in?

I'd love to see the following changes:
Tucker to HF (replacing Banners)
Pearce for Banners (concussion)
Hughes for Watson (this kinda scares me)
O'Driscoll to debut (get some AFL experience)
Blakely as medical sub?

Does anyone think Crowden did enough to keep his spot? I wasn't at the game but he seemed to be stationed at full forward fair bit. If he's in the side for defensive pressure is he doing enough?
Do we even have any fit forwards to bring in?
Crowden was pretty decent, imo. Probably his best game this year. Couple of midfield cameos. A few tough contested possessions and his usual quality kicks (bar one, from memory). Would keep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back