Round 21 Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Was wines form really that bad though? It’s been well below par but still worthy of selection. Sutcliffe is still in the side. Butters hasn’t been setting the world on fire. It’s like when people on this board wanted to drop Robbie gray at the start of the year, because he was off his best.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our midfield have had one of their best outings for the year, which occurred concurrently with their highest disposal efficiency for the year.

Wines is going at what, 39% or something like that? We can't afford to carry two centre square midfielders (+SPP) with this disposal no matter how good he is at finding the inside ball. So to fit him in we'd need to drop SPP, who also has the whole "explosive, hard-hitting dynamo" thing going for him, and isn't coming off a massively injury hit year, plus played well last year.

Wines is on ice for mine until he proves he's over his injuries and won't be a liability.

Power Girl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We'll either go unchanged or drop Dixon for a small based on the weather, probably Wines, which wouldn't make sense for our briefly functioning forward structure, but that hasn't bothered Ken before.

Not sure why the commentators made such a big deal of how tall we were last week, as if it was super abnormal. They made it sound like we had all of Dixon, Marshall, Ryder and Hoff forward the entire game, seemingly oblivious to the fact Hoff was playing in defence and the second ruck was in and out of the forwardline. We had 2, sometimes 3 talls forward and 2-3 (including Hoff) back plus the ruckman. Yes, very tall by Hinkley standards, but pretty similar to other teams.
Well the commentators probably were shocked that we actually had so many talls because they wondered why we hadn’t used them before now if we had them.

Obviously no matter what he did you would be negative about it.

Going in unchanged because of a big win is a gripe I have had for a while now. It has not proven to be an effective strategy at all.

Select the best available team, don't leave better options in the SANFL.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Love Charlie's endeavour but I reckon "Dixon has to contend with 3 defenders hanging off him" is pure mythology.

You are right. There are usually only 2. One key defender and another peels off to assist. As is the case with most power forwards in the competition in a contested marking situation.

If you think that is pure mythology you must think I am referring to Charlie Cameron.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lycett has been dropped lol

No he's not dropped ? Do you follow football .

He was dropped last week and is not included this week . That he had no SANFL opportunity to impress unlucky .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
No he's not dropped ? Do you follow football .

He was dropped last week and is not included this week . That he had no SANFL opportunity to impress unlucky .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure like durs no 1 was actually sure if he was dropped or not because of the bye , keep up sweet heart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
I reckon Wines will be a late in at expense of a tall if it's raining

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Going in unchanged because of a big win is a gripe I have had for a while now. It has not proven to be an effective strategy at all.

Select the best available team, don't leave better options in the SANFL.
I concur. It is a different opponent, in a distinct venue, under new conditions. What worked past week won't necessarily work in the next.

No. I believe the midfield have demanded Paddy rucks. The mids want Paddys tap work.
Pure and simple. Paddy is currently our best tap ruckman and that outweighs the plus points for Slyce at present.

“The midfield have demanded”? Very strange story considering co-demander Wines isn’t even playing and Ladhams is doing most of the ruck work.

Also Lycett’s own clearance numbers compensate for fewer taps to clear advantage.

So IMO we’ve got Lycett in cotton wool and are looking for a buyer for Ryder at the same time. Win-win-win for all our current AFL ready rucks.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was wines form really that bad though? It’s been well below par but still worthy of selection. Sutcliffe is still in the side. Butters hasn’t been setting the world on fire. It’s like when people on this board wanted to drop Robbie gray at the start of the year, because he was off his best.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes. Through 2nd half last year and season so far, perhaps 1 game with brownlow votes. That for a key midfielder and now skipper is putrid. Ollie is not in our best 22 until he finds reasonable form.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
And the SANFL is really becoming an achilles heel with its spazmotic draw laden with byes. Typical garbage by an amateur organization

Yeah, exactly right Robbo.

When the Cows came into the SANFL they touted the big advantage of eliminating the bye. It seems to me we now have as many, if not more byes in the SANFL than we had when it was a nine team competition.

We get a player fit and ready to go but he misses a week because of inane SANFL mismanagement. A player is suspended for two weeks but misses an extra week due to the same amateur outlook. I guess when you are dealing with a minor league you have to expect this sort of thing.

EDIT: Looks like we are not the only ones. Another got it wrong moment for John Olsen's SANFL.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
It doesn’t matter what way people try and spin it, the non-selection of Lycett is just pure weird and is an embarrassing look for the club.

I would not have dropped Lycett in the first place. However, when we won by 59 points without him in the side Scott was never going to get a recall. His cause for a recall was not helped by the fact that he did not play last week due to the stop start feeder league we have to put up with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back