Game Day Round 21 - GWS Giants vs Hawthorn Hawks @ UNSW Oval, Canberra @ 7.50 pm 9 August 2019 on a miserable winter's night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
1 GWS v Hawks.PNG

Land of the Giants preview:

We were very, very lucky to escape from that with four points.

The Swans had come to play, and there was much to like in the way they went about it. I sat there for large parts of the game thinking ‘Why aren’t we playing like that?”.

We ended up with a clear advantage in the hit-outs, clearances and stoppages, which was probably the difference between winning and losing. And as usual, we lost the free-kicks, something difficult to believe if you read some of the enraged posts on the Swans board. Apart from that it was a pretty even contest.

It was the experienced hands that got us over the line. But with so much top shelf talent sitting on the sidelines, losing Jeremy Cameron was almost the straw that broke the camel’s back.

A special mention to Nick Haynes, who must have gone close to being awarded the Brett Kirk Medal. I lost count of how many of those big-time marks he pulled down. That’s not to diminish the game played by Jacob Hopper, it was one his best. Zac Williams, Toby and Lachie Whitfield also played very well.

Something that definitely didn’t add up was the size of the crowd.

The Swans have 61,912 members, and we claim 30,108 - a combined total of 92,020. Yet on a perfect winter’s day in Sydney, only 16,116 bothered showing up for the local derby. That is pathetic, and you can bet people in high places will be asking some very pointed questions. But as predicted, we were the clear majority on the day. It doesn’t say much for the notorious reluctance of Swans supporters to travel west.

Now for Friday night. A strangely lack-lustre Hawthorn just about had their bubble burst by a fast-finishing North Melbourne, and if they lose to us their slim chance of finals is over. I doubt we’ll turn up mentally unprepared, especially after today’s close call. And memories of the shock loss to Fremantle earlier in the year won’t hurt either.

Josh Kelly and Aiden Corr might be available to come back in the mix, with Matt De Boer the following week. As to who they replace it will probably be out of Stein, Bonar, Hately and Idun. Unfortunately, Sam Taylor won’t be back until the finals. We really miss him.

Whoever lines up, the important thing is that the team is playing well again as a group, which has been just enough over the past fortnight to cover all the injuries.

As long as we keep winning, a top four finish is still possible, so let’s finish our season in Canberra on a high.

Go Giants!

* it's going to be cold. Go Giants.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
We were planning on going down to watch the game with a Hawthorn supporting mate who was arranging the tickets - but about a week ago he got word he’d have to travel interstate for work - given this is from just outside Canberra in the Namagi National Park earlier today all I can say is #sorrynotsorry
704BCE02-5379-4AD0-9113-775C47FA64B9.jpeg

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
This is bulls@#$

So do we feel that hopper, himmleburg and Finlayson are all legitimate injuries ?? Because if they are it's season over

I'm sorry to sound negative but we will get smashed this evening. We were already injury hit, but no team loses Hopper, Finlayson and Himmleburg all in one game and wins

The club has almost conceded defeat on this one

I don't get it

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Kudos to any brave souls and tough nuts who will be out there tonight
Currently lying on my Easts Hotel bed. Rain is cascading majestically against the floor to ceiling windows.
My wife and I will soon don our thermals, 3 layers of outer wear and head the 200m to the game.
It will be a hard fought game. Hawks with nada to lose can tip this their way.
We need to show some grit with our patchwork team, continually coming in for our fallen.
C’mon Giants!!! Form is fleeting, Class is eternal.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Currently lying on my Easts Hotel bed. Rain is cascading majestically against the floor to ceiling windows.
My wife and I will soon don our thermals, 3 layers of outer wear and head the 200m to the game.
We need to show some grit with our patchwork team, continually coming in for our fallen.
Good on you and the fam mate. Stay dry

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Great friggen hotel for the dollars by the way. I always stay there

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
Why is Patton on a flight to Melbourne tonight?

Having a medical with Hawthorn on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back