No Oppo Supporters Round 21 - GWS Giants vs Hawthorn Hawks @ UNSW Oval, Canberra REVIEW

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
View attachment 723192
Land of the Giants preview:

We were very, very lucky to escape from that with four points.

The Swans had come to play, and there was much to like in the way they went about it. I sat there for large parts of the game thinking ‘Why aren’t we playing like that?”.

We ended up with a clear advantage in the hit-outs, clearances and stoppages, which was probably the difference between winning and losing. And as usual, we lost the free-kicks, something difficult to believe if you read some of the enraged posts on the Swans board. Apart from that it was a pretty even contest.

It was the experienced hands that got us over the line. But with so much top shelf talent sitting on the sidelines, losing Jeremy Cameron was almost the straw that broke the camel’s back.

A special mention to Nick Haynes, who must have gone close to being awarded the Brett Kirk Medal. I lost count of how many of those big-time marks he pulled down. That’s not to diminish the game played by Jacob Hopper, it was one his best. Zac Williams, Toby and Lachie Whitfield also played very well.

Something that definitely didn’t add up was the size of the crowd.

The Swans have 61,912 members, and we claim 30,108 - a combined total of 92,020. Yet on a perfect winter’s day in Sydney, only 16,116 bothered showing up for the local derby. That is pathetic, and you can bet people in high places will be asking some very pointed questions. But as predicted, we were the clear majority on the day. It doesn’t say much for the notorious reluctance of Swans supporters to travel west.

Now for Friday night. A strangely lack-lustre Hawthorn just about had their bubble burst by a fast-finishing North Melbourne, and if they lose to us their slim chance of finals is over. I doubt we’ll turn up mentally unprepared, especially after today’s close call. And memories of the shock loss to Fremantle earlier in the year won’t hurt either.

Josh Kelly and Aiden Corr might be available to come back in the mix, with Matt De Boer the following week. As to who they replace it will probably be out of Stein, Bonar, Hately and Idun. Unfortunately, Sam Taylor won’t be back until the finals. We really miss him.

Whoever lines up, the important thing is that the team is playing well again as a group, which has been just enough over the past fortnight to cover all the injuries.

As long as we keep winning, a top four finish is still possible, so let’s finish our season in Canberra on a high.

Go Giants!

* it's going to be cold. Go Giants.

I remember we kicked a very similar score against geelong on a friday night some time ago.
Something about the friday night slot that makes us fall like a sack of potatoes.

The continued decision to keep Mumford and Simpson together aside, my main issue today was with our players'/coaches' desire to play very fancy dry weather footy in very wet, cold weather. The players can barely feel their hands, let alone link together a chain of extremely precise handballs and play a short kick-mark style of play. Their persistence with this only played into Hawthorn's hands, exacerbated the demolition by their mids and meant our players (and probably supporters) were mentally spent and frustrated by the 4th quarter.

The umpires pulled some shockers on us today, but this loss is on us.

The good news:
Caldwell can play
Finishing 5th may be better anyway, 2 weeks off out of 3 hasn't worked well for most
Greene is a warrior
Haynes a one in a million

That's about it
I thought Dawson tried. When he had the ball, 1st half, he continued to wave people forward.
The boundary umps kept throwing the ball in short and Ceglar beat Mummy to the drop too often.

I thought Dawson tried. When he had the ball, 1st half, he continued to wave people forward.
The boundary umps kept throwing the ball in short and Ceglar beat Mummy to the drop too often.
I don't think he is a complete waste, but as I said a couple of weeks ago, him and mummy is a waste of a playing spot.
And to be truthfull, the horse finishing 24th in the Melbourne cup typically tries also, they just aren't up to it

My thoughts

We suck

Injury scale tipped....again.....Like every year

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The late Hopper out, on top of Ward, Kelly, Cogs and MDB leaves us simply too light on AFL ready mids.
We are now making up the numbers until we get some back, Delidio looks shot now also to add salt to the gaping wound

Last edited:
I remember we kicked a very similar score against geelong on a friday night some time ago.
Something about the friday night slot that makes us fall like a sack of potatoes.
We just didn’t play wet weather ball and the Hawks did. Why? Why didn’t we adapt?
Is it a bad thing to just copy the opposition or do we give credit because our boys stuck to a game plan that wasn’t working?
Half way through that second quarter, we switched the ball across our goal 3 times. Three times!!! We then turned it over and the Hawks scored.
AND insult to injury, WE kicked the ball backwards into our own defensive 50 when hawthorn couldn’t. Our own worst enemy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The late Hopper out, on top of Ward, Kelly, Cogs and MDB leaves us simply to light on AFL ready mids.
We are now making up the numbers until we get some back, Delidio looks shot now also to add salt to the gaping wound
Taranto had a jacket on too. Is he gone or just got pulled out when all was lost?

Too many injuries before the game: second string midfield, decimated forward line, patched up defence - just too much to manage. Some poor wet weather football all round, including the experienced players. And the umpires pulling out some rubbish. Just added up to a crap game on a crap night.

The only good thing from the game was that I didn't freeze into an icicle - thank goodness for merino wool!

Club will be down this week after that performance and a few interesting conversations will be had
Just a greater effort all over the ground by the hawks and dominated all the match ups and played smart footy for the conditions
The injuries, lack of depth/experience showed and I think the development of some of the players needs to be looked at
Not sure what the team will look like next week but they need to be honest with the injury list, D + J Buckley and Buntine not listed for 4 weeks and then nothing was mentioned about HH and TOJ in the rehab report but it is crisis stage along with the Pies and all the programs for pre season, training and game day needs to be looked at because it is one of the reasons that is causing the club to not play to its potential
I can’t see many changes from last year with the addition of Nicks so not sure what needs to be done but another experienced assistant coach needs to be recruited from a successful club
The 2 ruck situation was going to bite the club and it did last night. Both Mumford and Simpson are incredibly limited and Ceglar made them pay and we all knew that it was an issue going into the season
Greene deserves more support as he is a champion not sure who else deserves credit from the game but I do put part of the blame at the coaches for not making sure the players are switched on no matter what maybe a sports psychologist needs to be on the staff full time
And to put up that performance for the 11k crowd they deserve better
Any articles that are written about the club this week are fully deserved after that performance
I always thought the team was a 5-8 and the game v the dogs will have the team playing for a home final and that will be lucky if they manage that
Rant over

I think I saw Adam Kennedy being played half forward and Zac played half back in the first qtr. That struck me as odd. They both showed heart.
Toby stood tall and I cannot be happier that other clubs and boffins think he’s a ‘grub’ because that hopefully means that he’ll not be chased by other clubs. That third qtr with the Sicily flop for a free was right in front of us. The p n w defenders gave it to Toby after it resulted in a goal and NO ONE on our team came over to support him.
Without Ward out there he is my favourite Giant.

It’s interesting Simmo. Did the Hawks pull any injuries?
It’s just us, right?
Is there a sports science issue at the club?
They had one in the warm up. All clubs have injuries and Collingwood have big issues at the moment and so do Freo.

However my point is every club has a bad year on the injury front, but not EVERY year.

I am almost certain that somewhere from 2015 to now if we had a healthy list, there would be a Cup in the cupboard.

The story seems to be already written each year "Injury riddled GWS limp into finals".

I just don't get it.

They had one in the warm up. All clubs have injuries and Collingwood have big issues at the moment and so do Freo.

However my point is every club has a bad year on the injury front, but not EVERY year.

I am almost certain that somewhere from 2015 to now if we had a healthy list, there would be a Cup in the cupboard.

The story seems to be already written each year "Injury riddled GWS limp into finals".

I just don't get it.

Our window this year, barring a miracle I just can’t see, is firmly closed.
We’ll be nailing it shut with a loss next week.
Walking into the Suns with low confidence wont be great. I saw the bombers do that.

I’m mentally lost with this club.

I’m spending another day and night in Canberra (galleries and the war memorial).
My teams have lost before and I’ve proudly worn the colours the next day.
Today? I feel embarrassed.

I’m mentally lost with this club.

I’m spending another day and night in Canberra (galleries and the war memorial).
My teams have lost before and I’ve proudly worn the colours the next day.
Today? I feel embarrassed.
Same, currently regretting we accepted for next Saturday's function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back