No Oppo Supporters Round 21 - GWS Giants vs Hawthorn Hawks @ UNSW Oval, Canberra REVIEW

Remove this Banner Ad

Downside.
Poor coaching.
Zero effort (Besides Tobes and Haynes)
No confidence.
No heart.
No intelligence.
No tactics.
No umpiring.

Upside.

Tobes. Make him Captain.
Haynes. There's your heart and soul.
Crowd. Well done to the 11k who showed up to watch that garbage in those conditions.
Amazing considering all week and that day people were going nuts about how bad the weather was/would be.

I'm seriously at a loss.

I won't be microwaving memberships or any pathetic sad sack garbage like that.

But I won't be quiet and do our usual "oh you guys, we will get them next time. I support the club not bag the club" happy, stars a shining bullshit.

* I'm ropeable.

Good win over the Pies.
Just managed Port and Sydney. Just.
Now this.
We’ve had the injuries disrupting but you’d expect the seniors to fly a flag and show how it’s done.
I won’t be burning scarves or memberships. I’ll still buy our membership next year.
I might just consider how invested I am in this club.
I’m a digital member at the Dons too. I don’t think I can support 2 basket-case clubs.
Hang on, maybe I’m the Jonah?

Just got back to hotel room after the game. Wowee that was an experience...

Spent a fair bit of time watching Adam Tomlinson live tonight. I continue to have no clue as to what his role is/how he manages to make the best 22 week after week after week.

Had 1 good season at CHB out of an 8 year career. Even in last night's conditions is painfully slow to watch, in leg speed and decision making.

I don't mind Tommo but realistically he's a pretty vanilla player. Good enough that I wouldn't be ditching him but he's not going to be a star. His big advantage is his height but his running ability means his height is irrelevant.

I don't mind Tommo but realistically he's a pretty vanilla player. Good enough that I wouldn't be ditching him but he's not going to be a star. His big advantage is his height but his running ability means his height is irrelevant.
He can run all day, but not all that quickly, last night though I saw him either give up or elect not to put in a serious effort to begin with on multiple occasions.
I am a big fan of his role in the team, but he was one of more than a dozen who need to have a bloody good look in the miror after last night

Trade: Tomlinson (2nd rounder), Patton (for free)
Retire: Mumford, Shaw, Deledio and Simpson.
If we lose Cogs I’d offer a big deal to Grundy.
Our team next year would be:

Cumming Davis Kennedy
Haynes Taylor Williams
Kelly Ward Whitfield
Greene HH Daniels
Hill Cameron Finlayson

Grundy Taranto Hopper

Caldwell Hately DeBoer Perryman

PLUS: power of trading/drafting with 3 first round picks and at least a couple of second rounders. We would have plenty of spending money with some of those contracts off our hands.

Retire: Mumford, Shaw, Deledio and Simpson.
Our team next year would be:

Cumming Davis Kennedy
Haynes Taylor Williams
Kelly Ward Whitfield
Greene HH Daniels
Hill Cameron Finlayson

Grundy Taranto Hopper

Caldwell Hately DeBoer Perryman

PLUS: power of trading/drafting with 3 first round picks and at least a couple of second rounders. We would have plenty of spending money with some of those contracts off our hands.
Oh and I’d throw everything we could at Clarko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree 100%, if by chance Cogs says hes out, there should be 2 targets that's Grundy or Witts

We would have 3 1st round draft picks going into this years draft

I'm over this season and want it to end. Our bad luck is just unbelievable.

If you want to make the week even worse, here is our opponent for next week :( View attachment 724115

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
From what I’ve read, the Bombers were no opposition at all so I’m hoping a regroup can jump the Dogs. Coming off a soft win.
Sadly, our last three performances, while I’ll take the wins, were not convincing wins.
Anyone’s guess.

From what I’ve read, the Bombers were no opposition at all so I’m hoping a regroup can jump the Dogs. Coming off a soft win.
Sadly, our last three performances, while I’ll take the wins, were not convincing wins.
Anyone’s guess.
If Hopper and Taranto are out we will get smacked again.

I’m mentally lost with this club.

I’m spending another day and night in Canberra (galleries and the war memorial).
My teams have lost before and I’ve proudly worn the colours the next day.
Today? I feel embarrassed.
I went to the zoo yesterday and had to wear my jacket.

I didn’t bring another one :(

If Hopper and Taranto are out we will get smacked again.
They look like they will be, and Finlayson, and cogs and Deledio and possible Himmleburg........ and whoever else they have not told us about yet.

The scales have tipped unfortunately.

There is an article today on AFL.com which is clearly to talk up the tigers about how they have had more "games experience" out than anyone. But I think that's crap. Because we lose ward and that's a s**t load of games experience out. But if you lose 15 blokes in their first year, then you are down the bottom of that list they are talking about

But if those 15 first year players are all in your best 22 then it has a much worse effect than if you lose 1 300 gamer

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thank f#** for Essendon and North - we had injuries, inexperience and F#*EN SNOW - what was their excuse? Essendon even had a ROOF.

We had 5 players with (6+5+4+3+0=) 18 games combined experience; missing DeBoer Kelly Cogs Taylor (not counting Ward, that’s not recent); throw in no Himmleberg, no TOJ, no Hopper? Are you kidding me?

Then throw in SNOW. Nope, we weren’t winning that and we’ll struggle from here on in.

I have resigned myself now to Next Year. Of course I’ll be at the footy next week and if we host a final, of course I’ll be there, cheering as loudly as the rest - but as for expectation? I have none.

We’ll get players back, we’ll do better but I don’t think we can win it from here. We’ll give it a shake but we’re done.

Good thing is, there’s always next year.

This game will go down in the history books, and it will be a “story” to tell for the 11k+ fans who (big props to) were actually there. But the history books will eventually be long and multi-volumed and this will be no more than a paragraph or two in the 2019 season chapter.

And the 2019 season (if mentioned at all) will simply be a sentence in about the third paragraph of “The Early Years” section of the Wikipedia entry.

Some will call this a wasted season - I won’t. A wasted season is where everything goes pretty smoothly and you still don’t win (Geelong in 2008) - that was a wasted season. This is one cruelled by injuries and the footy gods. They caught up with us.

It is footy though - there is always next week. There is always next year...

Thank f#** for Essendon and North - we had injuries, inexperience and F#*EN SNOW - what was their excuse? Essendon even had a ROOF.

We had 5 players with (6+5+4+3+0=) 18 games combined experience; missing DeBoer Kelly Cogs Taylor (not counting Ward, that’s not recent); throw in no Himmleberg, no TOJ, no Hopper? Are you kidding me?

Then throw in SNOW. Nope, we weren’t winning that and we’ll struggle from here on in.

I have resigned myself now to Next Year. Of course I’ll be at the footy next week and if we host a final, of course I’ll be there, cheering as loudly as the rest - but as for expectation? I have none.

We’ll get players back, we’ll do better but I don’t think we can win it from here. We’ll give it a shake but we’re done.

Good thing is, there’s always next year.

This game will go down in the history books, and it will be a “story” to tell for the 11k+ fans who (big props to) were actually there. But the history books will eventually be long and multi-volumed and this will be no more than a paragraph or two in the 2019 season chapter.

And the 2019 season (if mentioned at all) will simply be a sentence in about the third paragraph of “The Early Years” section of the Wikipedia entry.

Some will call this a wasted season - I won’t. A wasted season is where everything goes pretty smoothly and you still don’t win (Geelong in 2008) - that was a wasted season. This is one cruelled by injuries and the footy gods. They caught up with us.

It is footy though - there is always next week. There is always next year...
Essendon had a long injury list too, Ichabod, but played insipid football according to what I’ve read.

Midfield attendances:

Overall Summary - 21 Bounces

Taranto 17 (4w)
Tomlinson 16 wing
Williams 15
Whitfield 15 wing
Caldwell 13
Greene 13
Bonar 6
Kennedy 6 wing
Hately 2
Deledio 1 wing
Daniels 1

Rucks:
Simpson 10
Mumford 11

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Taranto 3
Greene 2
Mumford 2
Bonar 1
Whitfield 1
Reid 1

1st Half - 12

Tomlinson 10 wing
Taranto 9 (2w)
Whitfield 9 wing
Williams 8
Caldwell 8
Greene 8
Bonar 4
Kennedy 2 wing
Deledio 1 wing
Daniels 1

Simpson 5
Mumford 7

2nd Half - 9

Taranto 8 (2w)
Williams 7
Tomlinson 6 wing
Whitfield 6 wing
Greene 5
Caldwell 5
Kennedy 4 wing
Bonar 2
Hately 2

Simpson 5
Mumford 4

Notes:
- Another new PB for Williams
- Lowest starts in analysed games for Hately - his previous low was 10.
- Most starts for Whitfield in an analysed game since Rd 2, which is the only other analysed game this season that he has been a first choice wing.
- Equal most starts for Bonar in analysed games with Rd 21, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back