Review Round 21, GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Spotless Stadium, Saturday August 22nd, 2.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS GIANTS

FB: Tommy Bugg, Aidan Corr, Ryan Griffen
HB: Zac Williams, Joel Patfull, Heath Shaw
C: Nathan Wilson, Adam Treloar, Josh Kelly
HF: Rhys Palmer, Andrew Phillips, Cam McCarthy
FF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Jeremy Cameron, Jonny Patton
R: Rory Lobb, Toby Greene, Lachie Whitfield

Interchange: Stephen Coniglio, Caleb Marchbank, Callan Ward, Nick Haynes

Emergencies: Paul Ahern, Lachie Plowman, Adam Kennedy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

If it rains as predicted any chance you'll take a tall out and put Ahern or Kennedy in?

I dont think it will be one of the forwards - cant see them pulling Patton, and Sunshine and Jez can play smaller than they are. Maybe one of Lobb (under the guise of the corky from last week) or Downie, but I doubt it.

My reading of the weather report is that the rain won't be particularly heavy, and shouldnt affect the 4 tall forward line.

Let's have a look at the starting line-ups, and see who's got an advantage:

Bugg vs Towers - hard to say, but they don't really rate Towers
Corr vs Tippett - probably Tippett
Griffin vs Goodes - Goodes will make Griffin sweat

Williams vs Heeney - probably Heeney
Patfull vs Reid - hard to say, interesting contest
Shaw vs Jetta - Shaw's been consistent all year, Jetta hasn't

Wilson vs Cunningham - hard to say, but they're not exactly wild about Harry
Treloar vs Kennedy - great match-up
Kelly vs McVeigh - probably McVeigh

Palmer vs Jones - Palmer easily
Phillips vs Grundy - maybe Phillips, Grundy can be a bit slow
McCarthy vs Shaw - probably McCarthy, but Shaw might be "on" after pulling the pin

Hoskin-Elliott vs Rampe - probably Rampe, Hoskin-Elliott not having a good year
Cameron vs Richards - Jeremy likes playing on Teddy
Patton vs Smith - hard to say, interesting contest, Smith is very reliable

I/C
Coniglio-Marchbank-Ward-Haynes vs B. Jack/Laidler/Lloyd/Rose - we're so far in front here it's embarrassing

F
Lobb/Greene/Whitfield vs Pyke/Hannebery/K. Jack - on paper you'd give it to them, but Pyke has injury concerns and Hannebery's not in form

So what does it all mean? The line ups look relatively even on paper. We have home ground advantage.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday afternoon.

Hehe this made me laugh. Tippett will
Smash Corr :)

It's a shame we won't have a true home
ground advantage for this one. Because the swans will have more supporters there than us. Either way spotless is gonna look awesome. So glad they are not making us play it in that stupid place next door

So I'm finally back in town for a game !!! What a one to be back for. So how many rediculous hours before am I gonna have to get there to get I to the members bar ?

GA sold out months ago and the premiums are selling fast. Not sure it will be a sell-out but it won't be far from it.

I attempted a rough count of unsold tickets on the Ticketmaster map (yes, I need to get a life). As of 2am Friday 21/8 there seem to be 914 tickets remaining, give or take. Only available seats are in the stands. I'll resist the temptation to give a stand by stand breakdown ...

Guess it comes down to member turnout to determine the attendance figure. Do we have enough members to fill those areas or go close? Anyway, hoping for a good outcome, both attendance and game wise.

I attempted a rough count of unsold tickets on the Ticketmaster map (yes, I need to get a life). As of 2am Friday 21/8 there seem to be 914 tickets remaining, give or take. Only available seats are in the stands. I'll resist the temptation to give a stand by stand breakdown ...

Guess it comes down to member turnout to determine the attendance figure. Do we have enough members to fill those areas or go close? Anyway, hoping for a good outcome, both attendance and game wise.

Bloody hell!! That's a good effort!

GWS GIANTS

FB: Tommy Bugg, Aidan Corr, Ryan Griffen
HB: Zac Williams, Joel Patfull, Heath Shaw
C: Nathan Wilson, Adam Treloar, Josh Kelly
HF: Rhys Palmer, Andrew Phillips, Cam McCarthy
FF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Jeremy Cameron, Jonny Patton
R: Rory Lobb, Toby Greene, Lachie Whitfield

Interchange: Stephen Coniglio, Caleb Marchbank, Callan Ward, Nick Haynes

Emergencies: Paul Ahern, Lachie Plowman, Adam Kennedy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

you forgot your best player:
672026-5bdc2a50-ac0c-11e3-bbbe-18ebc4e71679.jpg

We've been sent a 'go early for a good seat' email. There probably will be - downside is not sure how many are Swans 3-gamers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's have a look at the starting line-ups, and see who's got an advantage:

Bugg vs Towers - hard to say, but they don't really rate Towers
Griffin vs Goodes - Goodes will make Griffin sweat

Williams vs Heeney - probably Heeney
Patfull vs Reid - hard to say, interesting contest
Shaw vs Jetta - Shaw's been consistent all year, Jetta hasn't

Wilson vs Cunningham - hard to say, but they're not exactly wild about Harry
Treloar vs Kennedy - great match-up
Kelly vs McVeigh - probably McVeigh

Palmer vs Jones - Palmer easily
Phillips vs Grundy - maybe Phillips, Grundy can be a bit slow
McCarthy vs Shaw - probably McCarthy, but Shaw might be "on" after pulling the pin

Hoskin-Elliott vs Rampe - probably Rampe, Hoskin-Elliott not having a good year
Cameron vs Richards - Jeremy likes playing on Teddy
Patton vs Smith - hard to say, interesting contest, Smith is very reliable

I/C
Coniglio-Marchbank-Ward-Haynes vs B. Jack/Laidler/Lloyd/Rose - we're so far in front here it's embarrassing

F
Lobb/Greene/Whitfield vs Pyke/Hannebery/K. Jack - on paper you'd give it to them, but Pyke has injury concerns and Hannebery's not in form

So what does it all mean? The line ups look relatively even on paper. We have home ground advantage.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday afternoon.
Thanks for That.i agree our bench looks stronger as our depth is better.
Losing Parker and Mitchell is big.
What do others think?. In my opinion the only real structural problem is Tippett.If if he plays forward and plays well forward.He hasnt done that for a while.
We have a deeper midfield particularly if Griffin and Ward play like last week.
I would put Griffin as a big body on Kennedy, Cogs to Hanneberry
.Bugg to Mcveigh.
Greene -Jack
Maybe lock down Jetta.
That leaves Ward, Treloar, Kelly etc to provide midfield run.I think we can expose them here.
Think Grundy will go to General
Richards - Cameron
Rampe(may have to play mid)-Mccarthy

I see Cameron running Richards around.Good matchups for us.

Forward line with no Buddy and Rohan could struggle.
Corr/Haynes/Marchbank should be fine for Reid.Plenty of run out of our backs could worry the Swans

Go Giants

One hopes so, the last time we made a trip out west it was a horrible. First we were late pulling into the sorry excuse for "dock" because they parked this god awful "ferry" in the way/ (apparently its like a maritime bus for poor people) then driver of our hire car made me carry our own bags.
We finally arrived and we had park at the taxi stand....THE TAXI STAND! There was no hors d'oeuvres while we lined up at the gate and they let just about any ruffian in the place, It was like they didn't even care about dress codes! I saw one man in the Sky bar wearing Thongs! THONGS! truly it was ghastly, they didn't even have any cognac.

How was the chardonnay?

i wouldn't know it was one of those new zealand attempts, i wouldn't sully my pallet with it. Everyone knows late seasons best drops are coming out of the Loire Valley.

Oh no. I'm a huge fan of Margaret River myself especially the more coastal.

So anyone got an idea what these 5 year foundation member guernseys look like? I currently have every type of Guernsey from the club!

Shout out to kezzstar: thanks for the signed cogs card!!!!

i wouldn't know it was one of those new zealand attempts, i wouldn't sully my pallet with it. Everyone knows late seasons best drops are coming out of the Loire Valley.

I think you mean "palate", not pallet, unless you're a Queen Adelaide type of guy.

Thanks for That.i agree our bench looks stronger as our depth is better.
Losing Parker and Mitchell is big.
What do others think?. In my opinion the only real structural problem is Tippett.If if he plays forward and plays well forward.He hasnt done that for a while.
We have a deeper midfield particularly if Griffin and Ward play like last week.
I would put Griffin as a big body on Kennedy, Cogs to Hanneberry
.Bugg to Mcveigh.
Greene -Jack
Maybe lock down Jetta.
That leaves Ward, Treloar, Kelly etc to provide midfield run.I think we can expose them here.
Think Grundy will go to General
Richards - Cameron
Rampe(may have to play mid)-Mccarthy

I see Cameron running Richards around.Good matchups for us.

Forward line with no Buddy and Rohan could struggle.
Corr/Haynes/Marchbank should be fine for Reid.Plenty of run out of our backs could worry the Swans

Go Giants

The Swans without Buddy, Rohan and Parker - they're big outs in terms of their structure. Mitchell less so, but the point is they're unsettled. We've got to be really hungry tomorrow.

So anyone got an idea what these 5 year foundation member guernseys look like? I currently have every type of Guernsey from the club!

Shout out to kezzstar: thanks for the signed cogs card!!!!

Only seen the mock up, looks like a normal guerney with a whole heap of names in very small type in a silvery grey. They'll be on sale from the marquee outside the gate until 1/4 time and at HQ during the post game function.

Looking forward to picking one up - but as I've said before - hope I don't get the armpit.

Edit: just realised you probably won't be at either - I'll take a photo of it and post it here when I get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back