Game Day Round 21, GWS Giants vs West Coast Eagles, Sat 13th August, 4.35pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, that was close.

And who would have thought the Crows would leapfrog us on percentage after this round? Given the draw and the lopsided nature of the competition, we’re lucky to still be in the top 4.

But we are now guaranteed to play in our first finals campaign. We’re still not out of the race for a top 4, or even top 2 finish - one slip in the next three rounds could be very costly to everyone in the hunt, not just us.

The important thing is that we managed to get through the Suns game unscathed. And there’s something to be said in favour of these tough games. They keep you sharp, and that’s what counts in finals.

We host the Eagles on Saturday evening, a team we’ve never beaten, and whose average winning margin against us is almost 16 goals. But I don’t think it will be anything like that this time.

We missed Shiel on Saturday, but he shouldn’t come back unless that groin problem is absolutely 100% resolved. Apart from that we virtually have a full list to choose from. Obviously every team this time of year is hiding niggles, but we seem to be in better shape than most – touch wood.

I’m surprised Buntine hasn’t returned to the seniors yet. We absolutely pole-axed the Suns in the NEAFL yesterday, which is probably why he didn’t get named as one of the best players, as he didn’t have much to do. But Hoskin-Elliott, Hopper, Barrett, Steele, and Kennedy had good games. So we have plenty of talent to choose from, which is a good problem to have.

Back to next week, the Eagles don’t travel well and haven’t been to Spotless Stadium before. But they’ve just given Freo a hiding, so they’re no easy beats. And if there’s one thing we should have learned from the costly losses to Melbourne and Collingwood, it’s never take an opponent for granted.

Hopefully we get a big crowd on Saturday – with more than 15,000 members, we should crack the 10K mark without too much trouble.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Agree with everything. I can only assume Bunts wasn't considered ready. He does play a tall role and although Tomlinson is better lately, I refuse ro beleive you could pick him over a fit and firing Bunts.
I have a few more grey hairs after last week but it was a great game of footy. I feel the pressure of our club needing to win every game for the remainder of the season, but will try and deal with it by enjoying the football
I am really looking forward to watching the WA clubs at spotless over the next two weeks. For one reason or another I haven't seen West Coast play and looking forward to this. I get last years game was embarassing but I actually beleive we started as well have in any game. Natanui then did a few of the things only he can do late in the first qtr and our guys dropped their heads.
Not worried about history as they haven't played the 2016 side yet and that's what matters.
Hope for a good injury free game, and hope they bring their best game. Not too fussed if their forwards have a cold lonely prevening waiting for the ball to reach them though.
Crowd will be interesting. Hope Giants turn out in numbers of course and their support an unknown factor. I seem to know a fair number of West Australians residing in Sydney though and it might be relatively large. Hope it is, we need everyone we cab get and opposition supporters do add atmosphere.

Edit: Apologies to Simmofreo for the insensivity. I get it, I struggled through the Port game week, and am proud of the fact I got no infractions.

Last edited:

I will eat my phone if you guys dont belt us.
Nice try for unbackable underdog status, but no dice. Reckon this will be close. Weagles seem to match up on us very well, and I am wary of Nic Nat's ability to out leap Mummy. Your mids will be getting much better service than other sides playing us recently. Our ability to intercept and run out of defence needs to be on full display. God knows you'll be getting a few I50s early...

Hopefully Whitfield Straight out and Dylan back in
Say what??????
First game back for 3 weeks, has 22 at 82% inc 7 inside 50s, he is the archetypal outside mid.

Drop list reads;
Reid - In no way is justifiably in our best 22
Tomlinson - Doesn't add value in the way we play him
Shaw (Seriously his worst game for us and a perfect message to the rest)
Himmelberg - Purely youth, great prospect but he goes for Bunts every day

Changes for mine:

In: Shiel, WHE, Buntine
Out: Tomlinson, Reid, Himmelberg

I'm taking Shiel's groin injury as just a bit of "soreness" and a reason to give him a week rest. Hopefully that's the case and that's all that is so he can jump back in. If not, then Hopper should be called back in

Say what??????
First game back for 3 weeks, has 22 at 82% inc 7 inside 50s, he is the archetypal outside mid.

Drop list reads;

Can't see how dropping Shaw is a good idea or sends a good message. It comes across more as "second guess yourself because we'll cut anyone after a bad game".

Agree with everything. I can only assume Bunts wasn't considered ready. He does play a tall role and although Tomlinson is better lately, I refuse ro beleive you could pick him over a fit and firing Bunts.
I have a few more grey hairs after last week but it was a great game of footy. I feel the pressure of our club needing to win every game for the remainder of the season, but will try and deal with it by enjoying the football
I am really looking forward to watching the WA clubs at spotless over the next two weeks. For one reason or another I haven't seen West Coast play and looking forward to this. I get last years game was embarassing but I actually beleive we started as well have in any game. Natanui then did a few of the things only he can do late in the first qtr and our guys dropped their heads.
Not worried about history as they haven't played the 2016 side yet and that's what matters.
Hope for a good injury free game, and hope they bring their best game. Not too fussed if their forwards have a cold lonely prevening waiting for the ball to reach them though.
Crowd will be interesting. Hope Giants turn out in numbers of course and their support an unknown factor. I seem to know a fair number of West Australians residing in Sydney though and it might be relatively large. Hope it is, we need everyone we cab get and opposition supporters do add atmosphere.

Edit: Apologies to Simmofreo for the insensivity. I get it, I struggled through the Port game week, and am proud of the fact I got no infractions.
No haha no probs mate :)

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Can't see how dropping Shaw is a good idea or sends a good message. It comes across more as "second guess yourself because we'll cut anyone after a bad game".
It is vaguely possible that his score costing me 2 SC finals and a keeper league final influenced the comment, mildly possible.

Last edited:
GWS really need to win here to stamp its credentials as a genuine finals contender against a team with a poor away record this year and a poor record against top 8 teams, as well as the pure ladder position gained from a win.

I'm with Determinant that Reid, Tomlinson and Himmelberg would be the ones who would be under most scrutiny. Shiel (if fit), otherwise Steele and Hopper would be possible ins, although Hopper might need another week for first grade match fitness after 6 weeks out. With the defensive setup, I don't believe that we can play Tomlinson (lining up as a KPD), Himmelberg and Patfull in the same team. I don't think that West Coast's forward set up requires that level of defensive setup. Corr probably doesn't have match fitness to return, so I think you have to make a decision to give the job to one of Tommo or HH. Replacement in my view should be either Bunts, or another midfielder and drop Zac back from a wing to half back role.

Just being picky but Leon made it clear Bunts is one of the KPD's. I get he aslo has "small" attributes, and has often llayed with talls. I'm not a tactician but if you play a zone defence wouldn't flexibility be a key?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just being picky but Leon made it clear Bunts is one of the KPD's. I get he aslo has "small" attributes, and has often llayed with talls. I'm not a tactician but if you play a zone defence wouldn't flexibility be a key?

Flexibility is very important, but there's a limit, Kennedy and Darling need genuine tall backs to combat, Zach's flexibility doesn't give him 4 inches unfortunately

Say what??????

Drop list reads;

its the 18% that are at massively crucial times like when the game was on the line he made a beautiful run down field and placed a perfect kick into the 50 ..... on the chest of the opposition. This is why he was dropped. These cost you in the big games...... Stats are stats doesnt give you a feel for the magnitude of the errors. I think Kelly and Scully cover that role much much better than Whitfield and the team functions better without him

If you want to look at stats ... you'd give dustin martin 3 every week

Naitanui and Kennedy will be the 2 biggest factors in wether we win or lose. Cogs to line up shuey and ward H2H with priddis.

Darling has been poor in recent weeks and I would back our guys to beat him. Davis to wrap up JK and patfull to mind lecras.

Will McGovern, barrass and Schofield be able to contain lobb, Cameron and Patton? And will Wellingham/Shepard try to stop our run of Wilson/Williams?

its the 18% that are at massively crucial times like when the game was on the line he made a beautiful run down field and placed a perfect kick into the 50 ..... on the chest of the opposition. This is why he was dropped. These cost you in the big games...... Stats are stats doesnt give you a feel for the magnitude of the errors. I think Kelly and Scully cover that role much much better than Whitfield and the team functions better without him

If you want to look at stats ... you'd give dustin martin 3 every week
He was dropped cos he was so sick he lost 5kg in a week mate. He played only limited game time in his NEAFL come back as he was still recovering

Danger game

A team we've never even come close to beating, at the end of a long hard road trip, just getting over the other Coast in the last couple of minutes. A team that on paper, we're supposed to beat, reasonably easily.

"Oh they can't play away from home" - their two matches against us in Sydney they won by 81 and 100 (yes it was early but.... they can play away when needed) their home margins were 111 and 87 - so it doesn't really matter where they play us - they usually smack us.

not saying it will be that bad - just that I have little confidence going into this weekend.

Naitanui and Kennedy will be the 2 biggest factors in wether we win or lose. Cogs to line up shuey and ward H2H with priddis.

Darling has been poor in recent weeks and I would back our guys to beat him. Davis to wrap up JK and patfull to mind lecras.

Will McGovern, barrass and Schofield be able to contain lobb, Cameron and Patton? And will Wellingham/Shepard try to stop our run of Wilson/Williams?
Darling may be be out of form but we have to prepare for him to be at his best.Hes an aerobic beast when up and about which would suit Tomlinson.However like most here i want Buntine in for Tommo but im not sure hes the right match up for him.I guess team defence is the answer and we drop Tommo

Our last home game at Spotless was embarrassing.
Last weekend the Suns embarrassed us with their effort and commitment.

Surely this will both be in everyones noggins and theyll be fired up for a return to Spotless

And on a personal note.

Damn it guys Mrs General surprised me by saying if we play finals in Sydney we could organise to go!
Dont screw this up for me. Its been over a year

I think you guys will thrash us to be honest.

We lost to Collingwood a fortnight ago and if not for missed opportunity Freo would have skipped out to the 4 goal lead that sees WC shut up shop. It just hasn't come together for West Coast this year for some reason.

If you come out firing our guys just don't have any appetite for hard work to get back in the game on current evidence.

Hope springs eternal though so no doubt I will tune in regardless!

Our last home game at Spotless was embarrassing.
Last weekend the Suns embarrassed us with their effort and commitment.

Surely this will both be in everyones noggins and theyll be fired up for a return to Spotless

And on a personal note.

Damn it guys Mrs General surprised me by saying if we play finals in Sydney we could organise to go!
Dont screw this up for me. Its been over a year
I'd prefer you came to Melbourne...

I've got a shocking record picking changes so I'm going to go for the low hanging fruit this week.
Bunts and WHE for Tomlinson and Himmelburg. The latter only because he's a youngster, has a bright future but history suggests teenagers are in and out a bit. Possibly not ready for the pressure week after week.
If Dylan is fit someone's gotta go, maybe draw straws for that one.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back