Autopsy Round 21: Hawks plough the GWS snowflakes

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Me and another bloke stayed behind til almost midnight to say thank you as the boys got on the team bus.
Clarko was last man out and took the time to have a quick chat and shake his hand.
Thanks boys and thanks Clarko for an awesome display tonight.

I love our club

I must add that both of us shook CJ’s hand and congratulated him on his first game and for many more to come

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Chad has swagger.

People instantly want to cut that down and say he's lazy/bad attitude/loves himself. It instantly highlights you're a moron if you say any of these things.

Last week his effort was head and shoulders above anyone else's.
He brought the same effort this week but had a lot of others.
His effort, skill and midfield work meant we could afford JOM to have a really quiet night and still comfortably win the midfield battle.

He's a gun. Love him. So much better for us in the midfield.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Jaegs was tagged by Caldwell wasn't he? Pretty sure I saw number 5 for GWS with him at nearly every clearance and holding him, I even saw Greene + Caldwell blocking him from the stoppage. Also had the most tackles on the ground, so while he wasn't as good as we know he can be definitely wasn't as poor as at first glance. If Worp + Shiels + Chad are all nearly getting 30 touches it means someone is copping some attention. Also that play in our fwd 50 in the last where he handballed to himself along the boundary line was awesome.

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure what neutrals thought of the game but as a fan I loved the pre match right through to the post match. Most memorable hawks game of the year for mine. Brilliant stuff. So much to like.
Well I’m not a neutral of course but last night for me was the most enjoyable game of the year.
It was just old school fun, players slipping around everywhere and the ball sliding around like a bar of soap in the shower.
That said, the skills weren’t that bad and everybody had a dip.
We embraced the conditions and had fun with it.
Was like watching school footy.
Brilliant stuff by Clarko and the boys.

Just watching the replay, and realised, ot at least was able to articulate, something about Breust in tackles...

He has the awareness that judo practitioners, or other wrestlers or martial artists have, and that is not to use your energy against the tackler unless it's advantageous.

Sometimes, when you have the momentum, use it

When your opponent has the direct line/momentum, don't try to work against it. Add your energy to that of the tackler, so that his momentum takes him where you want him, and also leaves you where you want to be.

It's a real bodily/kinesthetic intelligence in action.

Last edited:

Maybloomer

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The thing i love most about Chad and that i think is most underrated about him is his toughness and want to win the footy, apply pressure and lay tackles. He is known as an x factor player with a bad attitude (still yet to see any evidence of that btw) but people act like he is a lazy player and i am yet to see that. Chases hard, lays strong tackles to the point i was genuinely shocked when someone broke through one of his last night.

His spacial awareness around stoppages is close to the best i have ever seen, his willingness to take that extra second to dispose of the ball to make sure it is a quality possession is going to be huge for our midfield going forward.

What I like is when he gets the ball, his first reaction is not to dish a handball out the back like too many Hawthorn players (really not a fan of that) but rather he looks for an opening and goes for it, head down and bum up. Silk is the same but he glides, Chad bursts.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jaegs was tagged by Caldwell wasn't he? Pretty sure I saw number 5 for GWS with him at nearly every clearance and holding him, I even saw Greene + Caldwell blocking him from the stoppage. Also had the most tackles on the ground, so while he wasn't as good as we know he can be definitely wasn't as poor as at first glance. If Worp + Shiels + Chad are all nearly getting 30 touches it means someone is copping some attention. Also that play in our fwd 50 in the last where he handballed to himself along the boundary line was awesome.

Jags was not tagged at all, not in the slightest.. not sure where people get it from. Teams rarely tag, they have assignments at stoppages but tagging is saved for maybe 4-5 players in the comp at a maximum. North tag, Essendon tag, Freo have done it at times, GWS with De Boer and sparingly Port do it, but a hard tag is rare.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Just watching the replay, and realised, ot at least was able to articulate something about Breust in tackles...

He has the awareness that judo practioners, or other wrestlers or martial artists have, and that is not to use your energy against the tackler unless it's advantageous.

Sometimes, when you have the momentum, use it

When your opponent has the direct line/momentum, don't try to work against it. Add your energy to that of the tackler, so that his momentum takes him where you want him, and also leaves you where you want to be.

It's a real bodily/kinesthetic intelligence in action.

Bruest and Burgoyne do that beautifully, but Burgers can be instantaneously brutal. Amazing to watch

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Gee, this thread was almost as bad as reading some of our autopsy threads after a loss.

Daisy, BT, Jags. FFS we just beat a top team, and held them to under 30 points in horrid conditions, and we have to read all this negativity!

Coincidental that Worps, Shiela, and Wingerz were dominant in the middle? Jags was clearly down on possession numbers but we’ve been known to use dummies in the past, SMitch, Buddy come to mind.

So, Pops and Breust have decent games and the negative nancies have to look elsewhere to vent their regular BS.

Bloody great team effort for mine, right from pre-game mindset to application on field.

Congrats Hendo on the 150, and CJ on your debut.

FWIW, I quite enjoy BT’s roaming Brian in the rooms after the game. It’s light hearted and a bit of fun. Who cares if he can’t say CJ’s name, neither can Clarko FFS! He should stay away from commentating the game though. Bruce was an awesome commentator but is past it now ehh! Daisy at least seems interested when she works, unlike a number her colleagues.

Last edited:
Gee Chad has 6 clearances, 6 tackles to go with his 27 touches last night.. the guy is starting to look like an elite mid/fwd, could do anything next year.

Chad Wingard is a two time AA and has long been considered an elite forward mid

I have an inkling that's maybe why we recruited him

Totally agree about JOM. After the terrible patella injuries he’s suffered you really have to give him full props for seeing out last nights game. Actually to tell you the truth the guy needs full props just getting to the point of where he is right now leading our midfield week in week out all the while copping the hard tag and allowing others to get off the chain. This is almost 2 full seasons strung together in a row after most had written him off and thought he was cooked. The fact that Mitchell hasn’t been there all season long is a true testament to JOM and getting his body to the point where it can handle the ground and pound of week to week top flight AFL footy.
For me the biggest thing about getting Mitchell back and possibly Coniglio is with the improvement of worpel it means teams aren't going to put the work into Jaeger and I predict he's going to explode midway through next season and remember his potential before the suns ****ed him up.

Apple Salesman

Draftee
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What a great night at the footy! As a proud Canberran I couldn't have been happier to see so many other Canberra-based hawks out in the snow (think we outnumbered giants supporters). Of course as an even prouder hawk the performance the boys brought was great to see and a real character builder for the young lads. Bring the Hawks back to Canberra next year I say (perhaps with some bias)!

Tall poppy Syndrome

Senior List
Dec 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I disagree......whilst Canberra might be all of that, the atmosphere tonight was fantastic. Such a great vibe, no doubt because of the number of Hawks fans that made it to the game. Our fan base is not renowned for travelling, so to see so many Hawks fans at the game was so pleasing.
Well done to those that made the trip, and to those Canberra based Hawkers that came out in what can only be termed atrocious conditions.

And as for the snow, it just made for an even more interesting evening. Not to many can say they have played AFL footy in the snow
Yeah, just a huge night for long suffering Hawks fans in Canberra.

Not since pre-season in 95, with Darren Jarman and the team wearing some weird strip with diamond-shapes on it from memory, have Hawthorn come to town.

The result was brilliant but the snow (first time in 120 year plus AFL/VFL history- I won’t forget the wonder in Clarkos eyes, the looks on the faces of Shiels, Cegs) actually made it a kind of magical night.

Fozzanator23

Rookie
Jul 29, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was a great game.
Player Ratings (out of 10):
9-Worpel, Sicily, Shiels
8- Wingard, Smith, Henderson, Frawley
7- Ceglar, Breust, Poppy, Burgoyne, TOB, Nash, Hardwick, Stratton
6- Jiath (showed promise), O'Meara, Scully, Lewis,
5- Cousins, Hanrahan, Howe

All in all, no-one played terribly... Next week probably Cousins, Lewis(injury) or Hanrahan out for Roughy, and Howe out for Gunston (if fit)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee, this thread was almost as bad as reading some of our autopsy threads after a loss.

Daisy, BT, Jags. FFS we just beat a top team, and held them to under 30 points in horrid conditions, and we have to read all this negativity!

Coincidental that Worps, Shiela, and Wingerz were dominant in the middle? Jags was clearly down on possession numbers but we’ve been known to use dummies in the past, SMitch, Buddy come to mind.

So, Pops and Breust have decent games and the negative nancies have to look elsewhere to vent their regular BS.

Bloody great team effort for mine, right from pre-game mindset to application on field.

Congrats Hendo on the 150, and CJ on your debut.

FWIW, I quite enjoy BT’s roaming Brian in the rooms after the game. It’s light hearted and a bit of fun. Who cares if he can’t say CJ’s name, neither can Clarko FFS! He should stay away from commentating the game though. Bruce was an awesome commentator but is past it now ehh! Daisy at least seems interested when she works, unlike a number her colleagues.

Nice post.

Think that people who are commenting on people's looks, are pretty low.

On the negativity, it's often the same old punters. Makes the rest of their posts not worth reading and easy to skim over.

Go Hawks!!!

Back