Autopsy Round 21: Hawks plough the GWS snowflakes

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Well I’m not a neutral of course but last night for me was the most enjoyable game of the year.
It was just old school fun, players slipping around everywhere and the ball sliding around like a bar of soap in the shower.
That said, the skills weren’t that bad and everybody had a dip.
We embraced the conditions and had fun with it.
Was like watching school footy.
Brilliant stuff by Clarko and the boys.

I think for "oldies" like myself, it was enjoyable because we tended to abandon the modern trend of over-using the ball and got stuck into the ethos of wet weather footy by just driving the ball forward any way you can. Even the commentators picked up early that the Giants were still over working the ball and this is what gave us the edge. The old school of thought was that good players exceed in wet weather because of the skills required to perform it. I could play footy on a nice dry day, anyone can, but when the wet weather came along that's when my over-all lack of skills came to the surface. :)

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think for "oldies" like myself, it was enjoyable because we tended to abandon the modern trend of over-using the ball and got stuck into the ethos of wet weather footy by just driving the ball forward any way you can. Even the commentators picked up early that the Giants were still over working the ball and this is what gave us the edge. The old school of thought was that good players exceed in wet weather because of the skills required to perform it. I could play footy on a nice dry day, anyone can, but when the wet weather came along that's when my over-all lack of skills came to the surface. :)

Yep. Loved the kick it forward at all costs, type play. Richmond style.

So thankful they didn’t kick too many goals. How bloody annoying is that damn music after they goal! I think I would’ve ended up muting the tv or try to find radio coverage.
It was worse at the game, I was sitting under a speaker, lucky it only came on 4 times. After the first I yelled "stupid plastic music for a plastic franchise"

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
*Clarko got the club mentally ready for the game which was a big factor in the win (footy is mostly a mental game)
*Worpel and Wingard looking good in the mid
*slippery conditions helped Breust slip past some tackles for a couple of goals
*Henderson is class, now that he has fixed the fitness issue he had when he first got here, he is playing the best footy of his career
*Sicily 33 poss from hbf, he was hard to get past all night
*TOB and Lewis providing targets at different stages
*Hardwick had good influence but not the big numbers
*Nash was good, not just marking but sharing the ball around i50
*CJ had a comfortable debut, did some nice things, had a couple of hiccups but nothing to worry about

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I must say how delighted I was with Smith's game. I've been a huge fan of Smith through the journey and was beginning to think his best was behind him, but he was high in our best players last night and showed he still has plenty to offer. Wingard was very good as well, which will upset my Port friends who told me we were buying a lemon. I get that a lot from opposition supporters, apparently we never seem to pick up anyone from another club who is much good. :)

Dec 27, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers
Gotta love Clarko’s approach to this game. Gotta love TOB playing like he belongs. Gotta love Chad taking the game on all night. Gotta love Sicily being a rock and outplaying the fu** out of Toby Greene. Gotta love Poppy turning back the clock. Gotta love Scully playing his best game for the year. Gotta love Worpel playing like a beast and making a late run for B&F. Gotta love CJ’s run and endeavour on debut.

Gotta love this ******* club!

(Also gotta love that thread title).

Gotta love your post Ned!

MistyAvalon

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees , Roosters
So, how many people who travelled up for the game have the sniffles today?

We are from Sydney and we drove down to canberra.. so far we are oka, but I have never been that cold in my life......... thank heavens for hot coffee hand and feet warmers. we are staying fo the Roosters game tomorrow.. must be nuts

So thankful they didn’t kick too many goals. How bloody annoying is that damn music after they goal! I think I would’ve ended up muting the tv or try to find radio coverage.

Giants players clearly not fans of hearing music post goal.

So, how many people who travelled up for the game have the sniffles today?
I don't think any sniffle-inducing bacteria could survive mid-winter Canberra. They like the warmth too much.

Like going to Antarctica, I reckon the people are reasonably safe

Browne encapsulates all that's wrong with footy media. Absolutey embarrassing. If his IQ were any lower he'd have to be watered daily.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He might do but he's just doing what he has been asked, to make some $$$ best he can while he can in a game he loves. Can't knock a bloke for that and seems like a loyal, honest fella. I have more time for him than a D.King or D.Barrett, regardless of IQ.

I don't think any sniffle-inducing bacteria could survive mid-winter Canberra. They like the warmth too much.

Like going to Antarctica, I reckon the people are reasonably safe
Being on a yacht or boat out at sea, same thing no colds or flu, except for the P&O or cruise ships cesspool of contagion. 😷🤧

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What a *ing win. We may come to find in 10 years time that this game is still in GWS history books.

off the top of the head

Great - Cegs Worps TOB Sicily Smith Shiels Chad Ricky Breust Poppy

Good - Scully Howe Frawley Hardwick Stratts Lewis Nash JOM

Quiet- Burgoyne Cousins Jiath Hanrahan

Wouldn't live anywhere else

For all I’ve said here, if we played in Canberra again, I’ll be there.
Watching the team play live is so much fun.

We actually found a couple of great bars and a very good restaurant and would be happy to go there again.

Last edited:
Back