Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

In all seriousness, hats off to that dope Petrucelle.

His career could and arguably should be done by now, but his stints in the midfield really have been nothing short of impressive.

Yesterday he was the catalyst for getting us back into the game. He hit multiple contests at pace, set up Cripps goal and then finished off the goal Crupps help set back up in return. Old Petrucelle would've missed that shot on the run.

I'm here for it. Give him another 12 months. 2 years if we're feeling stupid.

You are referring to players outside the 20 year draft period. Boyd is the only player drafted at number 1 in that period to win a flag. The others were drafted outside that period.
12 of them were also drafted by Carlton, GWS, GC and North Melbourne, that has more to do with it than what number the player was drafted.
Besides the real discussion isn't pick 1, pick 2 or whatever, it's Reid vs Curtin/McKercher/Sanders. Barring injury Reid looks like he'll end up the best player from this draft so it makes a hell of a lot of sense to pick him if we can.

How useless is the ‘pressure gauge’?

they threw it up in the 3 rd quarter, and had us really low, but we were holding Essendon, stopping them going forward, commentators banged on about the gauge and how bad we were, while we were kicking goals and getting back into the contest at that exact time.

I’ve never seen it been explained and generally find this gauge to be irrelevant to what’s going on in a game.

they threw it up in the 3 rd quarter, and had us really low, but we were holding Essendon, stopping them going forward, commentators banged on about the gauge and how bad we were, while we were kicking goals and getting back into the contest at that exact time.

I’ve never seen it been explained and generally find this gauge to be irrelevant to what’s going on in a game.
They pilloried our pressure and in the next sentence said the drug cheats had not been in their forward line for 10 minutes. (smart footy?)
A positive was the pride showen. Hewit showed a bit of Daniel Kerr as he attacked one pack. Ryan said it all after his goal.

Long was robbed

I’ve no issue with posters who are glad/relieved we lost given the big picture - unlike other years there is a gap (real or perceived) between Reid and the rest of the draft cohort that makes pick 1 even more valuable than usual

I do have an issue with posters who advocate that the club should tank to deliberately lose games. At no point do I want to support a club that doesn’t prioritise winning as it’s main objective as it’s a slippery slope in terms of culture. You want the playing group to be striving to win and disappointed when they don’t

In many ways yesterday was the perfect result. The players fought back and erased a 5 goal deficit with the confidence that brings whilst also learning from the last 2 minutes

And we retained pick 1

I’ve no issue with posters who are glad/relieved we lost given the big picture - unlike other years there is a gap (real or perceived) between Reid and the rest of the draft cohort that makes pick 1 even more valuable than usual

I do have an issue with posters who advocate that the club should tank to deliberately lose games. At no point do I want to support a club that doesn’t prioritise winning as it’s main objective as it’s a slippery slope in terms of culture. You want the playing group to be striving to win and disappointed when they don’t

In many ways yesterday was the perfect result. The players fought back and erased a 5 goal deficit with the confidence that brings whilst also learning from the last 2 minutes

And we retained pick 1
I 100% think it would be in our best interests to get pick 1 and I hope we do, but I don't want the team to deliberately tank to get it.
Biggest issue with us not finishing last is what kind of f**kery will the AFL manage to come up with to help Norf? I could stomach dropping back if Curtin is the consolation prize, but if the AFL decide McKay is worth giving NM pick 2 as compo then there's a fair chance they pick Reid & then Curtin which leaves us to choose from a couple of Tassie guys. Not ideal given where we are in our rebuild.

From memory the pressure gauge they showed when it was 144 or thereabouts was early in the 3rd quarter when it appeared Essendon were on the verge of putting us away

We improved after that and worked our way back into the game. It wasn’t until halfway through the quarter before we got our first goal

That said, I’ve no idea how they calculate that pressure gauge either or how relevant it actually is

From memory the pressure gauge they showed when it was 144 or thereabouts was early in the 3rd quarter when it appeared Essendon were on the verge of putting us away

We improved after that and worked our way back into the game. It wasn’t until halfway through the quarter before we got our first goal

That said, I’ve no idea how they calculate that pressure gauge either or how relevant it actually is

And we retained pick 1
I agree.You could end up like Melbourne or North in the wilderness with that attitude.You need the team and the senior players to be playing at their best and hopefully the younger players follow.We have had a lot of negatives this year but we have seen B williams improve out of sight and seen our first and second players showing improvement.Players who i thought might be on the delist pile have also shown some glimpses of enough improvement to keep include J.Williams,Petraccelle and Witherden.On another note even though Gaff has had a poor last two years he has a very good last four games and if he finishes the year in the same manner he deserves to finish his career next year without talk of delsiting or looking for another club or spending next year in the wafl.

This is precisely the reaction I want to see from players in a close game.

Especially when it’s from a young guy who’s been at the club for all of about 2 months. Despite the season we’ve had the spirit within the playing group looks strong, particularly among the young players who are developing a good bond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maric is such a likable player. Ever since he got here you can see all the fans just like him for doing the basics. Can only imagine how easy he would be to coach.

Very clever, very clean with the ball, makes the right decisions. Similar to Long. If you told me he was a pick 10 in the 2021 ND I'd believe it.

It's a fascinating study to see how we're going to use him going forward. If we really want him as a weapon it needs to be exploiting his sublime foothills as much as possible. Get him delivering inside 50 and being the link man.

The OG Tom Lynch role. High forward who runs up and back all day being the connection from mid to FWD.

What's his weakness? Overhead marking I think? He's not a marking forward, he's a leading one. AKA... Gunston.

Bock.

I can guarantee you pick 1 carries more currency than pick 2 though.
I can also guarantee that this kind of attitude and reaction in a game that some think we should lose carries more currency than dropping one place in the draft order

This is precisely the reaction I want to see from players in a close game.

Especially when it’s from a young guy who’s been at the club for all of about 2 months. Despite the season we’ve had the spirit within the playing group looks strong, particularly among the young players who are developing a good bond

I've thought for a while that we should turn him into a 3rd tall down back, might be a bit too late for him now though.
Honestly his best option might be to ask for a trade, assuming his health is good.
Once JD retires having Snake, Maric and OA all roaming the forward line with different but versatile skillsets is dangerous.
Maric - Roaming with elite footskills
Snake - Pure Lead up forward with a great set shot.
OA - Roams but busts packs with excellent Aerial ability.

Then the smalls in Longy and Ryan.

Forwardline is looking quite good.

Funny you mention that because if West Coast didn’t win 4 of its last 5 after going 4-13 up until that point we would have gone to the draft with picks 2 & 4 instead of pick 7.

How many flags could we have won with Dusty?

Pick 1. Scully (Demons)
Pick 2. Morabito (WC)
Pick 3. Trengove (Demons)
Pick 4. Martin??? (WC)

It’s amazing how a few meaningless wins at the end of the year could potentially change the outcome of a clubs fortunes.

So you think we should've implicitly known that we needed to drop games to get better picks, but not so many games that we pick up Scully and Trengove?

In the Demon's case, losing the game actually put them in a worse position. The tigers having one of those 'meaningless wins' allowed them to draft Martin. But that's explicitly not the point.

It's very easy to peer back to old drafts with the benefit of hindsight and blame the outcome on a few wins here and there, when in reality no one really knows who the best player from any given draft year will be. Who would've thought that with all of our high 2010 draft picks, our best player would instead come from the rookie draft?

It's overly simplistic logic that doesn't really make a lot of sense once you start analysing it properly.

It's one of those fancy graphics based off a whole bunch of champion data variables that, as far as i can tell, no AFL club actually uses. It's apparently meant to be based on acts like physical pressure, closing pressure, corralling, chasing, etc.

So you think we should've implicitly known that we needed to drop games to get better picks, but not so many games that we pick up Scully and Trengove?

In the Demon's case, losing the game actually put them in a worse position. The tigers having one of those 'meaningless wins' allowed them to draft Martin. But that's explicitly not the point.

It's very easy to peer back to old drafts with the benefit of hindsight and blame the outcome on a few wins here and there, when in reality no one really knows who the best player from any given draft year will be. Who would've thought that with all of our high 2010 draft picks, our best player would instead come from the rookie draft?

It's overly simplistic logic that doesn't really make a lot of sense once you start analysing it properly.

I think there would be a few recruiters that had Dusty at 2. I recall Sculley being widely rated 1, but his career just ended a bit of a mess.

I think there would be a few recruiters that had Dusty at 2. I recall Sculley being widely rated 1, but his career just ended a bit of a mess.

It was also a weird time for drafting, hence a lot of misses in my opinion.

Running ability was so highly regarded. Scully's ability to run all day was what set him apart. Not so much pure footballing ability.

Certainly became a pretty handy player. But looking back you'd scratch your head as to why he went pick 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back