Autopsy Round 21 - Post Match against St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, but the Eagles are a senior team who have been playing together for years, are in their 'premiership window', and know their structures and game plan inside and out. They can afford to take this time to work on skills. Compare their list with ours and there is a reason why we focus a lot on structure and game plan. Besides, it isn't like the players aren't kicking and hand-passing the ball hundreds of times a week at training. People also act like these guys weren't elite juniors who had played the game for 10+ years before they were drafted. They know how to kick and hand pass. It is just that some of them can't execute in a high-pressure environment and that is the problem. You can't account for that when drafting players as you don't know what you are going to get until they are on the big stage.

Go back to when the Eagles finished down the bottom of the ladder and when Simpson first took over and I would bet they weren't hammering home skills then.

Actually, that isn't correct.

When Simpson took over at the slime, he came out publicly and stated that the slime were fit enough but lacked skills. So he has concentrated on skills since he took over and fairly obviously that's a Clarkson trait.

Well, now we are fit enough to run players into the ground but we lose games on the back of poor skills. Had we got Simpson and the slime got Lyon, the positions would now be reversed.

Something needs to change or the results won't.

When Simpson took over at the slime, he came out publicly and stated that the slime were fit enough but lacked skills. So he has concentrated on skills since he took over and fairly obviously that's a Clarkson trait.

Well, now we are fit enough to run players into the ground but we lose games on the back of poor skills. Had we got Simpson and the slime got Lyon, the positions would now be reversed.

Their best 22 also carries five extra first round picks than our best 22, all players fit and available

Hitting targets is like catches win matches in cricket.

Turning over the ball is a killer.

Maybe, having less contested ball reduces injuries.
No I meant the players on their list, their best 22 is comprised of five extra picks before the second round.

Two of their key players are from priority picks given before the second round. Darling and Shuey.

We needed to ask for priority picks in the years before now to get that extra talent in.

No I meant the players on their list, their best 22 is comprised of five extra picks before the second round.

Two of their key players are from priority picks given before the second round. Darling and Shuey.

We needed to ask for priority picks in the years before now to get that extra talent in.
Fremantle isn’t a priority to the AFL.

They won’t give us priority picks unless we are a mess money wise off the field.

Their best 22 also carries five extra first round picks than our best 22, all players fit and available

Ok, they have their best available. They didn't last year and won a flag. Maybe, just maybe their strength and conditioning people don't run them into ground to cause the kinds of injuries we see every year.

They've also won 9 games against us on the trot. That isn't down to injuries. We haven't beaten Hawthorn (another club that concentrates on skills) in 5 years. You simply cannot blame injuries for that.

It is undeniable that there are other clubs who are performing much better than we are, season after season after season. You cannot pin that on injuries.

Have you ever considered that these clubs are just run better than ours. Try doing that. It makes sense.

Would people stop using Brisbane as a comparison to us as if both teams have been following the same trajectory the last 5 years ffs.

It's not hard to dig a little deeper than the start of the 2019 season.
My reference to Brisbane was more off-field in terms of recruitment and retention of players, coaching and game plan - probably should have been clearer.

Defenders can take a lot longer to develop, defenders don't really go in the first 10 picks of the draft for a reason, he's just turned 21. We do have a good defensive framework and defensive teachers that will improve his game, he's also a great flexible size, he's only going to be quicker off of the mark, make smarter decisions and be relieved of executing rebound kicking when Ryan & Wilson are back in the side.

He's not going to be a star but he's got enough in his favour to be a competent defensive defender.
Sorry mate he's a spud, cost us at least 3 goals today.

Last edited:
Don't be a coward and use your real account.
it's still banned because of this sub-forum. I don't think I've ever reported a post except one that was laughing at a death and when people threatened to track me down. people know who I am. people know what I think.

the true cowards are the ones who report my posts about well known yarns in Freo town amongst young people regarding our players.

Ok, they have their best available. They didn't last year and won a flag. Maybe, just maybe their strength and conditioning people don't run them into ground to cause the kinds of injuries we see every year.

They've also won 9 games against us on the trot. That isn't down to injuries. We haven't beaten Hawthorn (another club that concentrates on skills) in 5 years. You simply cannot blame injuries for that.

It is undeniable that there are other clubs who are performing much better than we are, season after season after season. You cannot pin that on injuries.

Have you ever considered that these clubs are just run better than ours. Try doing that. It makes sense.
I'm not talking about availability, their best 22 when everyone is fit has more players on it selected before the second round.

We are lacking talent and we are full of plodders because of it it makes our injuries hurt way more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's still banned because of this sub-forum. I don't think I've ever reported a post except one that was laughing at a death and when people threatened to track me down. people know who I am. people know what I think.

the true cowards are the ones who report my posts about well known yarns in Freo town amongst young people regarding our players.
This is Silent Alarm for those playing at home.

Nice one troll.
I made a 300-word post saying what and why I think things and you gave me a three word, personal diss. who's contributing more?

we got done by St Kilda.

Saints beat us and people say we're still good, it's the list and not Ross Lyon, and yet we beat Geelong and it's completely fawning obsession and 'how good are we!' people are either wishy-washy and feel betrayed by losses and forget it and get pumped by a win, or else they see the wins as amazing and losses as just a minor blip.

Just some thoughts ( at the game).
1. Our younger defenders had some bad errors but they tried.

With Ryan
Pearce and Wilson all would helped.

We just had too many inexperienced in the back half.

2. Carter didn’t do much. But get some games into him and will bear fruit later.

3. Duiman and Hughes not sure if they are dumb or just inexperienced.

4. Cerra needs to know when to handball or kick.

5. Missing a tall forward really hurt.

6. Shultz doesn’t have the skills or composure for AFL.

7. We need another A grade talent in the middle.

8. Our transition out of defensive 50 is horrible.

Most of the game we had 16 players defending inside 50 with Mundy and Sandilands/Darcy outside.

With that structure you can’t keep possession from the inside D50.

9. Banfield is hard at it but for me needs to play as a defensive midfielder or he doesn’t play.

10. Our players don’t see field the before they mark the ball. Slows down the ball movement especially from the defensive.

11. Only Brandon “greedy smurf” Matera wants to kick a goal in our forward line. More players need to want to kick a bag.

You still being an attention whore SS lol.

This is Silent Alarm for those playing at home.
yeah been pretty well established.

reminds me of when I was in high school and we'd have a double S&E. no teacher would walk in and after 40 minutes, when everyone realised the teacher wasn't coming and we were all talking about how good it was, some prefect-wannabe would walk to head office and get them to give us a relief teacher.

piss funny. I thought Freo supporters were supposed to be a bit different; against the grain and wall... working class... steely... tough.

Dumans an odd one, incredibly inconsistent but his good is very good and bad is very bad. Gets found out a bit too much defensively for mine, prefer Hughes at this stage despite the more obvious deficiencies with ball in hand. Must add - Blakely's just as bad in the back 50. Granted: He's a midfielder, but as a defender he'd have to be borderline in the team for mine.

Back 6 below looks a lot more solid defensively and tidy with the ball than the one today though (Hughes probably quite replaceable by a bunch of guys).
Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Hughes

Switowski's got a lot of upside, but needs to convert better as mentioned. Matera's an interesting one, pops up and does some good things - he's a goalkicker, but he's not exactly consistent and doesn't stay involved, also LOSES almost any ball not too his advantage where Switta would compete. Love what he can do, but really he's not that different to McCarthy if they played the same role (McCarthy better field kick, Matera better crumber maybe?) We need pace up forward. Walters and Sturt would be handy forward next year. I actually quite like looks of Crowden too, but he's got a way to go still.

Midfield's starting to shape up well, Tucker looking good, Cerra improving and Brayshaw should be ready next year, there's a bit more depth through there.

So in reality - Yes, we made a lot of mistakes, but that's what this years for. We're improving, getting games into the younger guys, figuring out a 22 and depth options - which a lot of these guys aren't and hopefully moving on from there.
The interesting part's going to be how willing we are to wield the axe this offseason, with Ballas, Kersten, Sandi and Bennell all retiring (maybe Mundy?) we don't need to delist anybody but a few need to be seriously looked at: Banfield, Colyer, Nyhuis (I rate him but he's behind too many to be worth keeping). *Not including first year players as I think everyone deserves a minimum 2 seasons to be judged (Matera could've gone last year but more than handy now)*

Doubt Banfield/Colyer go, particularly if Mundy retires. Still leaves us with 6 places to fill + potential departures of B.Hill and Langdon. We'll need some outside run + skills, as well as support for Fyfe to shoulder that load through the middle, and a depth/young key back. Be interesting what they do.

Stereotypical Ross Lyon loss.

We should’ve been AT LEAST 3 goals ahead at 3 quarter time. At least, could’ve easily been 6!

Our skill errors kill our dominance and keep the opposition in it.

We invited them in. Opened the door and they walked through.

We will never be a premiership threat until we have a skill focus at our club.

Pissed off!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back