Autopsy Round 21 - Post Match against St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

different thinking because i thought sandi was excellent today
but since we are missing finals now lets play youth.

darcy as stand alone ruck
drop sandi, shultz and banfield who looks sore
bring in sturt, dixon and valente

leaving a team of
FB hughes hamling blakely
HB cerra logue duman
C langdon brayshaw hill
HF tucker STURT walters
FF switta DIXON matera

FOLL darcy fyfe conca
interchange mundy carter VALENTE crowden

sturt is tall and rather mobile i could see him as an up and down centre half forward

Good game guys, the fact you were so competitive considering all the injuries you have (Lobbe, Cox, Taberner, Hogan, Ryan all come to mind) made for an exciting game. Scrappy.. but exciting.

Also I want to point out that the umpires were complete and utter garbage as usual, for both sides (especially us though ). Especially Eleni.

Well the positive to this year is we were 'anchored in hope', haha hah, until round round 21. The last few weeks though have illustrated our depth problem...especially our midfield group...need a few more of quality. Not confident that Sturt or Valente will make it to any great level.

Not confident that Sturt or Valente will make it to any great level.

Based on what? Both have played little or no football this season due to injury.

Good game guys, the fact you were so competitive considering all the injuries you have (Lobbe, Cox, Taberner, Hogan, Ryan all come to mind) made for an exciting game. Scrappy.. but exciting.

Also I want to point out that the umpires were complete and utter garbage as usual, for both sides (especially us though ). Especially Eleni.
Also is there not 50 metres anymore, in the first quarter we got a free kick in our last line of defence and St Kilda played on with about two handballs and even a kick for a good 15 seconds after and still no 50.

different thinking because i thought sandi was excellent today
but since we are missing finals now lets play youth.

darcy as stand alone ruck
drop sandi, shultz and banfield who looks sore
bring in sturt, dixon and valente

leaving a team of
FB hughes hamling blakely
HB cerra logue duman
C langdon brayshaw hill
HF tucker STURT walters
FF switta DIXON matera

FOLL darcy fyfe conca
interchange mundy carter VALENTE crowden

sturt is tall and rather mobile i could see him as an up and down centre half forward

They won’t ‘rest/manage’ Sandi next week. It could very well be his last ever home game. Maybe don’t send him to Adelaide, but if he’s fit and wants to go, how could you deny the big fella a final hurrah?

And Darcy has to stay in - he’s the only one who could possibly chair him off. Maybe bring in Tabs/Lobb/Jones for a 15 second walk on and off the ground to shoulder the other half (obvi Lobb’s good shoulder only). Although the way Fyfe’s been carrying the whole team most of the year, he could easy chuck him up on his shoulders and carry him off by himself.

(Don’t be surprised to see Ballas in the team next week for a send-off game either.)

Also is there not 50 metres anymore, in the first quarter we got a free kick in our last line of defence and St Kilda played on with about two handballs and even a kick for a good 15 seconds after and still no 50.

Legit I’m not sure she knows the rules... to not pay that a 50 could only be because you don’t know playing on like that is an auto 50. It was by far the worst decision of the day

Legit I’m not sure she knows the rules... to not pay that a 50 could only be because you don’t know playing on like that is an auto 50. It was by far the worst decision of the day
I'd like to see a female do well in the job at the highest level but she's consistently bad, even awful.

I'd like to see a female do well in the job at the highest level but she's consistently bad, even awful.

Unfortunately yes. It’s not a fitness thing she just doesn’t make the right calls even when she is right on the spot. Really bad standard of umpiring today probably the worst all year. (Aside from the derby where the slime got gifted 4 early goals)

Unfortunately yes. It’s not a fitness thing she just doesn’t make the right calls even when she is right on the spot. Really bad standard of umpiring today probably the worst all year. (Aside from the derby where the slime got gifted 4 early goals)

The 2nd quarter last week was worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could’ve played Bennell in the way that Saints played Jack Steven on a number of occasions but we instead made him try and be as fit as Fyfe.

We may have dumb players but we also have dumb coaches and sports science people.

They won’t ‘rest/manage’ Sandi next week. It could very well be his last ever home game. Maybe don’t send him to Adelaide, but if he’s fit and wants to go, how could you deny the big fella a final hurrah?

And Darcy has to stay in - he’s the only one who could possibly chair him off. Maybe bring in Tabs/Lobb/Jones for a 15 second walk on and off the ground to shoulder the other half (obvi Lobb’s good shoulder only). Although the way Fyfe’s been carrying the whole team most of the year, he could easy chuck him up on his shoulders and carry him off by himself.

(Don’t be surprised to see Ballas in the team next week for a send-off game either.)
didnt think of that
yeah i couldnt deny sandi one last hurrah

nope
That would make us none then. It doesn't serve the existing staff to load up on bulk first rounders but we could do with more talent

We could’ve played Bennell in the way that Saints played Jack Steven on a number of occasions but we instead made him try and be as fit as Fyfe.

We may have dumb players but we also have dumb coaches and sports science people.

I think it's a bit of a unfair comparison when one player was/is battling mental health issues and the other was physical issues.

I'm not sure what people were expecting. Saints are a mid to low end team like we are. We had 3 of our back six out as well as Hill who could have played there.
No tall forwards at all and other than Matera and Walters we don't have any forwards at all really. We have some guys who can tackle in the front half.
Considering all that I thought we played pretty well. Saints definitely more talented but I thought we beat them for most of the game.
Put Lobb, Wilson, Ryan, Pearce, Hogan, Hill, Taberner in and we win pretty easy.

We need a couple of skilful medium talls who know where the goals are. If McCarthy pulls his finger out and Sturt is anything like he's billed we put them in with Hogan, Tabs, Lobb, Matera and we'll look a lot better.

2 things killed that game for us, not individual stuff ups (they happen continually all through a game even by the best teams).

1. No mobile tall. Transition out of defence is so hard without one, miss the general field work they give - let alone what they can do in the forward arc.
2. Experience. It's not Fyfe/Mundy/Sandi/Walters etc that killed it with poor decisions, it was the young players.

As much as it killed this game for us, it's killed the last few games for us - and would have seen a very short finals campaign if we got there. Greener grass folks, next year we get our talls back and another preseason into the kids.

If we had have scraped 8th spot, for sure it would have been a quick exit - but that's not the point. Being alive late in the season was giving the playing group a bit of a buz and motivation. Learning to play while the season is still 'on the line' is an important layer to learning the AFL game.

That's what is so disappointing for me - season was never going to go anywhere special in terms of mixing it up with the big boys, we all know that, but to let it die out like that ... disappointing day.

- Sandy was excellent. It's controversial I know, but I'd be prepared to offer him a one year contract in a backup ruck/ruck coaching role. Darcy/Lobb to play the majority of the season with Sandy only coming in if there is an injury. He still offers a lot more than Meek and Jones at this moment in time.

Sandi is the reason we won last week and were in touch this week. Our game plan only works when we dominate clearances. He can't play forever though. Playing him next year just means that Darcy's development is further stalled. The only reason you'd offer him a contract is if Darcy got poached by Geelong or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back