Autopsy Round 21 - Post Match against St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure what people were expecting. Saints are a mid to low end team like we are. We had 3 of our back six out as well as Hill who could have played there.
No tall forwards at all and other than Matera and Walters we don't have any forwards at all really. We have some guys who can tackle in the front half.
Considering all that I thought we played pretty well. Saints definitely more talented but I thought we beat them for most of the game.
Put Lobb, Wilson, Ryan, Pearce, Hogan, Hill, Taberner in and we win pretty easy.

We need a couple of skilful medium talls who know where the goals are. If McCarthy pulls his finger out and Sturt is anything like he's billed we put them in with Hogan, Tabs, Lobb, Matera and we'll look a lot better.

What do people expect? Well this fan expects that when the oppo team need to score 2 goals in 3 minutes, that my team will be capable enough to get the win.

Look, I get this angle, and I wasn't tipping us to win so can't winge too much, but having bucked the odds, a win which would have been good for the club was missed. We'll obviously have a better looking team with those ins, that is a valid excuse AFAIC, but it still hurts and will go down as yet another 'should have/could have' game.

Last edited:
Ok, they have their best available. They didn't last year and won a flag. Maybe, just maybe their strength and conditioning people don't run them into ground to cause the kinds of injuries we see every year.

They've also won 9 games against us on the trot. That isn't down to injuries. We haven't beaten Hawthorn (another club that concentrates on skills) in 5 years. You simply cannot blame injuries for that.

It is undeniable that there are other clubs who are performing much better than we are, season after season after season. You cannot pin that on injuries.

Have you ever considered that these clubs are just run better than ours. Try doing that. It makes sense.

It's really not shocking that having Darcy and Sandilands as our only talls forward that we were going to struggle to win that game. Last week we played above ourselves extraordinarily so with the outs we had, this week just showed realistically where we're at. Our B tiers in Duman, Hughes, Schulz, etc. can't carry a side. We lose the majority of our best 15 and they will eventually be exposed.

We're still a young side, comparing us to every team that comes off winning a premiership is setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment.

Anyone see Fyfe’s stats for the game?
35 possessions
19 pressure acts
608m gained
11 inside 50s
2 goals

Anyone know how many of his possessions were contested, and how many clearances?

Those were all the club gave. I say ‘all’, but even without the CP and Cl that is one frickin frighteningly good game. Best player in the game, bar none. Geez I wish he was still 23, and we could get another 4 years on top of what we’ll get from him now. 100% freak of nature.

If he doesn’t get the 3 votes + 10 from the coaches, someone is on the take.

It's really not shocking that having Darcy and Sandilands as our only talls forward that we were going to struggle to win that game. Last week we played above ourselves extraordinarily so with the outs we had, this week just showed realistically where we're at. Our B tiers in Duman, Hughes, Schulz, etc. can't carry a side. We lose the majority of our best 15 and they will eventually be exposed.

We're still a young side, comparing us to every team that comes off winning a premiership is setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment.

Yeah, naah.

You look to see why successful teams are successful teams and then you try to improve on that.

Watching a team ignore successful formulas and finishing bottom six year after year with zero thought about trying something different, now that is setting yourself up for disappointment. If Lyon is still coaching next year, prepare to be disappointed again.

He just isn't the messiah that the Lyonistas claim he is

gutted and frustrated. How many narrow losses we have got this season?

Suns, Bombers, crows, blues, demons and now saints.

Thats all I have to say...
GC, Blues and Saints we were up with 2-3 minutes to go yet couldn't hold on,wonder if we ever train 2 minute scenarios of holding retention of the ball without giving the opponents possession.

35 possessions
19 pressure acts
608m gained
11 inside 50s
2 goals

Anyone know how many of his possessions were contested, and how many clearances?

Those were all the club gave. I say ‘all’, but even without the CP and Cl that is one frickin frighteningly good game. Best player in the game, bar none. Geez I wish he was still 23, and we could get another 4 years on top of what we’ll get from him now. 100% freak of nature.

16 contested possessions
7 clearences (2 from centre)*

You can also add 6 1% and 11 inside 50s

... just so far above everybody else, there are no words.

* Highest on ground along with Tucker who had 7 Cl, 3 from centre ... just a bit of positive trivia for us all.

Last edited:
Or if he is the cover for Darcy. Next option is far, far inferior and our clearance game plan goes down the toilet if Sandi is retired and Darcy is injured.. unless we rob the forward line

We had a good patch early to mid season when Lobb was our Number 1 ruckman, so I don't think that really holds true. We lost the hitouts to the opposition rucks but gained something with a presence around the ground. (eg in our two away wins against GWS and Collingwood).

Darcy held up pretty well going solo against Ryder and Lycett.

BTW The way Sandi was going today (black armband and all), I thought, after the game he might have the inclination to take a lawnmower and mow the oval.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interesting part's going to be how willing we are to wield the axe this offseason, with Ballas, Kersten, Sandi and Bennell all retiring (maybe Mundy?) we don't need to delist anybody but a few need to be seriously looked at

My best guess on it. It all depends on Langdon and BHill. If they go, the rebuild is set back by at least a year. Otherwise, the club will be moving into contention phase, the rebuild behind it.

This draft will be an attempt at quality over quantity. I don't think we'll be trading in any more talented but broken players, our need to put skill into the list is not at a desperate level like it was. Nor will we be trading in anyone who would be borderline depth/b22 purely to add experience as we needed to. We'll try and trade B) grade or better players unless there is a specific need and they'll probably be 22-26 and able to be with us for at least a handful of years. As for drafts, we don't need bulk numbers of players to come in as we did, assisted to whatever degree by the academy. 2-3 trades, 4-5 drafts.

The cub looks to be wanting a group of players that will be around for a decade. Even if you looked flakey today, the likes of Switta won't be viewed as "this is all you've got", they'll be considering what they can be with another preseason in them. If they are stamping cards of the young uns, it will be those that have been around for at least 2-3 years and aren't getting game time (project players like Dixon an exception). I don't think many would be in the "maybe" basket yet - except for our ruck depth (Jones out, another ruck in?).

We had a good patch early to mid season when Lobb was our Number 1 ruckman, so I don't think that really holds true. We lost the hitouts to the opposition rucks but gained something with a presence around the ground. (eg in our two away wins against GWS and Collingwood).

Darcy held up pretty well going solo against Ryder and Lycett.

BTW The way Sandi was going today (black armband and all), I thought, after the game he might have the inclination to take a lawnmower and mow the oval.
The key feature of those games was that we also had Jesse Hogan, Matt Taberner or both.

Just like today, if we had Lobb it would have meant we had a mobile marking tall. Sandi and Darcy tried but neither are better than the third choice at it.

If Sandi is gone and our forwards have a year like their last two, then Darcy has to play the whole season or we are cooked.

Also is there not 50 metres anymore, in the first quarter we got a free kick in our last line of defence and St Kilda played on with about two handballs and even a kick for a good 15 seconds after and still no 50.

Your last goal also should’ve been fifty for a certainty, Clark accidentally fell into Matera but it was still worthy of 50 imo.

Skills - they suck.

Injuries - i wonder if Richo would still have a gig if Stevens, Hanneberry and Carlisle played most of the season. Put Pearce, Ryan, Hogan, Lobb, Tabbs and SHill back in the side and we're a different side.

Result - we were on the right side of a lot of poor umpiring decisions. We were lucky to lose by 3 points.

35 possessions
19 pressure acts
608m gained
11 inside 50s
2 goals

We’d be absolutely ****ed without him. Ross should be thanking his God every night that he’s got him on his side.

after the Bulldogs game I wrote about the stupid kicks to a dead pocket after an oppo point, & since then we seem to have rectified that.
Here is another thing I noticed, but this will take some work by the rucks to work on. I reckon we kept tapping the ball to the same spot (2 o'clock using a clock face reference) for the majority of ball ups. Given we won a majority of hit-outs, this means our effectiveness at extraction from the ball-up is diminished markedly.
I want Darcy & Lobb to train in the off-season at directing their taps to different areas and then prior to each ball-up, they can let the mids know where they will be directing the tap, should they win it.

Here is another thing I noticed, but this will take some work by the rucks to work on. I reckon we kept tapping the ball to the same spot (2 o'clock using a clock face reference) for the majority of ball ups. Given we won a majority of hit-outs, this means our effectiveness at extraction from the ball-up is diminished markedly.

Agreed, Lost just about every clearance in that last 5 minutes just when we needed to be getting the ball forward.

If we had knocked the ball forward it could have been into their hands, except now they would have the entire open side of the ground to work into. We should have been better switching the ball and kicking long down the line, a lot of which could have been fixed if we had any mobile marking talls.

35 possessions
19 pressure acts
608m gained
11 inside 50s
2 goals

I saw 16 contested somewhere this morning.

I thought Mitch Crowden played a good game for a small forward and has played his role well when given the chance this season. He has picked up the pace of the game better and seems to be making quick decisions with effective handballs and ball use. He is also not getting caught with the ball as much and now able to use his strength to stand up in tackles and take the tackle on without getting pinged.

His tackling and pressure was also very good and he adds some real aggression and intensity in the forward half.

I thought Banfield struggled the most in the forward role he is playing which doesn't suit his skill set.

I liked Switta's game but he needs to work on his goal kicking/finishing which is his only downfall as his tackling, pressure and movement with the ball is quite good.

Schultz I feel played an OK game but wasn't as effective as the other two.

Overall some poor decisions late cost us with Duman, Brad Hill and some stoppage work the main issues. Also our lack of finishing and taking our chances earlier on in the game was costly too, especially in the third quarter. A very disappointing loss given what it meant in relation to a potential finals berth and the skill errors and poor decision making is still featuring way too much for a team four years into a rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back