Autopsy Round 21 - Post Match against St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Not just directed at you Ap, a number of poster are "surprised" that he decided to stay, but all too quick to find reasons when people decide to leave.

I've heard Connor talk several times about how he is happy to develop in multiple positions, as has Cerra.

Trust me, these guys are kept well informed about what they are expected to do / improve. Unfortunately they are people and sometimes these things take time.
To be fair, Lyons supporters also like to absolve Ross of everything. The excuses are becoming more extensive and creative by the day.
I'm also not sure about what players say publicly. What would happen if Cerra or Blakely said they hated being thrown around different positions and being played out of position,in front of the media. It seems the players (and now Bell) just mimic everything Ross say's. I think I've only heard two occasions that a player has contradicted Ross and then Ross has slapped them down publicly. I'm not sure what the attraction to this man is, but I don't share it. He success or lack of it has become irrelevant to what I think of him.

To be fair, Lyons supporters also like to absolve Ross of everything. The excuses are becoming more extensive and creative by the day.
I'm also not sure about what players say publicly. What would happen if Cerra or Blakely said they hated being thrown around different positions and being played out of position,in front of the media. It seems the players (and now Bell) just mimic everything Ross say's. I think I've only heard two occasions that a player has contradicted Ross and then Ross has slapped them down publicly. I'm not sure what the attraction to this man is, but I don't share it. He success or lack of it has become irrelevant to what I think of him.
Well, a good way to protest would be to look for a job elsewhere wouldn't it, not sign a new contract? I'm not an apologist for Lyon, but that doesn't mean I look for problems in every little thing that happens at the club. Jeez, there are enough real problems without trying to manufacture them to support your pathological hatred for Lyon ;)

Well, a good way to protest would be to look for a job elsewhere wouldn't it, not sign a new contract? I'm not an apologist for Lyon, but that doesn't mean I look for problems in every little thing that happens at the club. Jeez, there are enough real problems without trying to manufacture them to support your pathological hatred for Lyon ;)
It's a bit simplistic to say that with WA players and it is possible Neale and Mayne did just that. The players also appear to get on very well together so that may be as much a factor for staying as Ross Lyon. As for Ross, it depends on what you like and admire in a person. Having a person like him as the face of the club when the rivals down the road are cracking 90,000 members, is our worst nightmare.

It's a bit simplistic to say that with WA players and it is possible Neale and Mayne did just that. The players also appear to get on very well together so that may be as much a factor for staying as Ross Lyon. As for Ross, it depends on what you like and admire in a person. Having a person like him as the face of the club when the rivals down the road are cracking 90,000 members, is our worst nightmare.
I don't for one minute attribute players staying (or going) to Ross Lyon, there are a myriad of factors, not the least being things like partners, family, better offers and of course desire for success. Sometimes that works (Lachie Neale maybe?) and sometimes it blows up in a player's face - just ask Nathan Buckley :)

If you think that switching Lyon and Simpson would have a substantial impact on our membership or that of the Eagles, I think you're dreaming. We had lower memberships under Harvey, Connolly, Drum and Neesham than we have had under Lyon. The Eagles will always have the greater membership due to their earlier inception, therefore kids growing up with Eagles supporting parents and family. Our membership fluctuates predominantly on our on field success, and the last three years have been pretty lean. If we can turn it around next year (which I am hopeful of) then our membership and attendance will start to rise again. Sustained success over several years will be the key and whether Lyon can deliver that or not is yet to be seen - if not, we will get another coach, but don't expect that to be a miracle cure for the discrepancy between our membership and the Eagles'.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, maybe see you down at Peel some time :)

I don't for one minute attribute players staying (or going) to Ross Lyon, there are a myriad of factors, not the least being things like partners, family, better offers and of course desire for success. Sometimes that works (Lachie Neale maybe?) and sometimes it blows up in a player's face - just ask Nathan Buckley :)

If you think that switching Lyon and Simpson would have a substantial impact on our membership or that of the Eagles, I think you're dreaming. We had lower memberships under Harvey, Connolly, Drum and Neesham than we have had under Lyon. The Eagles will always have the greater membership due to their earlier inception, therefore kids growing up with Eagles supporting parents and family. Our membership fluctuates predominantly on our on field success, and the last three years have been pretty lean. If we can turn it around next year (which I am hopeful of) then our membership and attendance will start to rise again. Sustained success over several years will be the key and whether Lyon can deliver that or not is yet to be seen - if not, we will get another coach, but don't expect that to be a miracle cure for the discrepancy between our membership and the Eagles'.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, maybe see you down at Peel some time :)
Unfortunately, I don't even enjoy watching Peel anymore. Cheers

WCE are a state team, they had a huge waiting list back at the old stadium and plenty who took a Fremantle membership just to be able to see some footy. Fremantle FC is not the state team, while we don't have 90,000 members like they do, we still have respectable member numbers and balance sheet.

WCE are a state team, they had a huge waiting list back at the old stadium and plenty who took a Fremantle membership just to be able to see some footy. Fremantle FC is not the state team, while we don't have 90,000 members like they do, we still have respectable member numbers and balance sheet.
You would expect to get some proportion of the growth in the state market and we haven't and have actually lost some. We have squandered any gains we had from our small window of success. Our profit is quite small but there are many factors that can come into that

It was said the Mets would never have more fans than the Yankees but they're now neck and neck. As apuchar said there have to be reasons why our support bobbles around but still hasn't broken through the ceiling and is stuck at about half of theirs. I don't think any of that has to do with Lyon but more to do with the shitty decisions taken by Rosich

Providing counter arguments to the sack Lyon critics does not mean by inference we think Lyon is perfect. The problem with this board is any ground conceded that Lyon has weaknesses as a coach just like any other, it immediately becomes the basis for a sackable offense.

If you only debate in hyperbole, then partial discussion is not possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back