Autopsy Round 21 Swans vs Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick summary

Umpire Nichols - selective blindness
Newman is a new man
Aliir can be even better with experience
Bud is feeling good and looking good
Hanners, Jack and Macca. Nice to have some of the old guard back. What a difference they make. Shame about Smith.
Hanners seems to have his Mojo back, despite the rusty patches
Heart goes out to AJ. Our boys showed real discipline to put it behind them and rise from the canvas
Ronke needs to get his defensive pressure back. May just need a rest.
Heeney's best game in ages
Hewett is the best choke hold in the business. Human stopper.
Sinclair played one if his very best. Lost the hitouts but not the duel.
Well done our midfield. Broke even in centre clearances despite Gawn putting the ball down the throats of his teammates.
Horse. A craft bit of coaching by an old fox against a young pup.
Dawson - more to like each game. Ditto McCartin. Future in good hands.
Florent. Beaten by a lucky bounce but robust when asked to go into defence.

That's 7 of the 9 other top ten teams we've beaten. Better record even than Richmond who've beaten only 6 of 9. Despite a tough draw and a host of injuries we are far from a spent force. I hope we can get a crack at finals, 'cause this year it's wide open and we can play the MCG even if we struggle at the SCG.

Have been a bit critical of John this year-was frustrated by our slow and boring play. But I am very happy to give credit where credit's due. Really well coached yesterday, players just moved it on and played a great brand of footy, shows you what getting couple of players back can do. His move with Heeney was also excellent.

Fantastic win, thought we could be in a but of trouble but again we show what we're really made of when the pressure is on.

I think this game shows with some injury luck plus whatever we can do in the off season, next year might just be something special. If those second and third quarters were a preview for what they are trying to build, I can't wait.

As for AJ, don't even know what to say. Shattered for him. Hope his resilience inspires the boys for the rest of the year and beyond.
Agree with comments about next year but don't write off this year. We have a good record against most of the top teams.

Today was the first time in a long time where it felt like the youngsters were asked to do a proportionate amount. Florent should only need to be getting 15-20 touches and show some class in space. Dawson should only need to get 10-15 touches at this stage of his career. Young forwards like Hayward and McCartin should be OK with just getting a few goals between them. And others like Ronke should be able to have quiet games and it not be noticed. That should all be able to happen and still come away with a win. They didn't need to be stellar (a few of them, like Heeney and Hewett) were. But when you have 22 fairly even contributors and a certain work rate quota that should be met by all 22 players, none of them need to be stellar. The best part is that we didn't even have 22 for most of the game... we only had 20!

More of this please Swans!
Getting some senior players back has really helped to spread the load. A better balance between youth and experience.

Agree with comments about next year but don't write off this year. We have a good record against most of the top teams.
Very true! Injuries are a bit of concern though, losing Nick Smith makes it tough. I know other teams around us have them too, but Richmond don't and they're the one we've got to get past come September.
I haven't really had that feeling that accompanies a premiership tilt this year, I've always thought we weren't just quite there + injuries to key players troubled us. However, I'll always back us in. If we end up in the eight we deserve to be there, and hopefully we can play our best footy when it counts. Bulldogs did it in 2016, and probably Richmond to a lesser extent last year. I'm definitely keeping an open mind. If not this year though, I'm certainly looking forward to 2019 and beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? What is the mark?

The rule is that if we allow the opposition to score 70 points, the win rate for the swans is around 10%

it's tied to the fact that we generally allow a great deal of inside 50s, and we don't score much.

basically if a side kicks slightly more accurately at goal than average, we have massive hole to get out of.

The rule is that if we allow the opposition to score 70 points, the win rate for the swans is around 10%

it's tied to the fact that we generally allow a great deal of inside 50s, and we don't score much.

basically if a side kicks slightly more accurately at goal than average, we have massive hole to get out of.
Oh, well... once we got to 70, I had faith based on your say so, which I got wrong... glad I didn't know at the time!!! :oops::p

And what the hell happened to the old Nic Newman? He's looked like a different player the last 2 weeks.
That is the "old" Nic Newman, that's the 2017 version we didn't see earlier in the year. Just leave him at HBF, it's where he plays his best footy IMO.

Just happy how we transitioned the ball more than anything

We switched from side to side a lot more I swear and used the width them come back through the corridor

We hit up the targets in front half despite there height , not long bomb

We did the same against Hawthorn at the G. Our players are suited to a bigger ground where they can run and have the time and space to clean up their imperfect kicks lol

Coaches votes

10 Heeney
7 Lloyd
4 Aliir
3 Brayshaw
3 Hewett
2 Papley
1 Franklin

Heeney 5-5
Lloyd 4-3
Aliir 4-0
Hewett/Brayshaw 3-0/2-1
Papley 2-0
Franklin 1-0

Coaches votes

10 Heeney
7 Lloyd
4 Aliir
3 Brayshaw
3 Hewett
2 Papley
1 Franklin

Heeney 5-5
Lloyd 4-3
Aliir 4-0
Hewett/Brayshaw 3-0/2-1
Papley 2-0
Franklin 1-0
Aliir 4-0, that's interesting. I thought it was agreed that he was huge for us, not just by fans but also media. Listening on the radio they spoke about him all game and afterwards. Wonder who didn't rate his game, or at least not as highly as the other coach, who clearly thought he was almost the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back