Game Day Round 21 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

So much for one trick ponies and duck dinners, thank you Langdon for firing us up. thanks for that pal, oh and by the way , we are now 7-1 wins our way, against the Deees, last eight games, so there you go, see you all up the snow fields next week, how sweet it is.
Why would you be going to the snow? The joke is that Melbourne supporters disappear to the snow.

1659705875359.gif

Our forward pressure is gone.

What’s the *en change from last year?
Our use going into the forward 50, is way wrong imv. We keep either kicking high too often to the pocket without enough space, or we bomb highball to the hot-spot in front of the goal-square (too deep imv) instead of composedly lowering eyes often enough, looking more laterally for a teammate in space. This we did often last season when playing well.
I mean, there’s literally still a ray of hope that something turns but Ben brown?!? Come on, he cannot defend.
Brown would be better coming no further down the line than wing half-forward... and be a up-the-line marking target. Let the mid-sized players get further down the line to help the contest.
And kill the contest over the line more often, rather than having all of our forwards down at half back. ffs.

Obviously our other issue in tight situations, is our goal converting from a stop play, free or mark.
Maxy, just run straight at the goals to kick, instead of swerving to your right... You kicks go straight in line with where your body is facing.

There is nothing wrong with your natural kicking action apart from trying to kick across your line.

Last edited:

In other news I bought a player badge (I haven't owned one of those for 20 years!), not an a grader but the underrated love child James Jordan
His worst game of the year, I thought. Get ball, slow play down, pump it down the line or handball to someone prone.

Brown either marks it or he's completely out of it.
And Brown goes to ground way WAY too easily.

I like Brown but in these situations he is poor at agility to turn his body, and just flops to the ground, and stays there til the balls left the scene of his crime.
He has to play more for the team, than he currently does. IMO, he does not expect anywhere near enough of himself to defend for the team... old habits.?

And Brown goes to ground way WAY too easily.

I like Brown but in these situations he is poor at agility to turn his body, and just flops to the ground, and stays there til the balls left the scene of his crime.
He has to play more for the team, than he currently does. IMO, he does not expect anywhere near enough of himself to defend for the team... old habits.?
He's a serious liability atm for all the reasons you mentioned.

Possibly old habits but also poor synergy with the smalls. Trys to mark everything which more often than not means turnover.

His biggest contingency in marking contests is timing. If he doesn't get separation or clear opportunity for vertical leap he's cactus. Delivery could be better at times but basic physical pressure puts him off too easily atm.

This is where we miss TMac. He isn't poles apart but he can scramble a mark and also create a bit of chaos at ground level to at least get a ball up.

He's a serious liability atm for all the reasons you mentioned.

Possibly old habits but also poor synergy with the smalls. Trys to mark everything which more often than not means turnover.

His biggest contingency in marking contests is timing. If he doesn't get separation or clear opportunity for vertical leap he's cactus. Delivery could be better at times but basic physical pressure puts him off too easily atm.

This is where we miss TMac. He isn't poles apart but he can scramble a mark and also create a bit of chaos at ground level to at least get a ball up.
Exactly how I see him (Brown)
TMc is handy deep, when he can offer a screen in building packs, allowing our boys a decent path to the drop of the ball. This is what I was hoping from Weide, &/or from Brown for Weide.

Weide is constantly pushed under the ball by his direct opponent, making it appear like he just runs under the ball. He is currently still not strong enough, or heavy enough, to compete at the level.
IMO, he needs another 8kgs at least, of muscle on his frame. And much of it around his hips. He needs to hit the squats bigtime.

Exactly how I see him (Brown)
TMc is handy deep, when he can offer a screen in building packs, allowing our boys a decent path to the drop of the ball. This is what I was hoping from Weide, &/or from Brown for Weide.

Weide is constantly pushed under the ball by his direct opponent, making it appear like he just runs under the ball. He is currently still not strong enough, or heavy enough, to compete at the level.
IMO, he needs another 8kgs at least, of muscle on his frame. And much of it around his hips. He needs to hit the squats bigtime.
Weid could add another 20 kgs to his frame and he'd still get pushed around, he simply doesn't have enough desire for the football and I'd prefer a 3rd round draft pick for him.

Weid could add another 20 kgs to his frame and he'd still get pushed around, he simply doesn't have enough desire for the football and I'd prefer a 3rd round draft pick for him.
I believe his desire has gotten caught up with his lack of confidence. ie: self belief has taken a tumble.

I think he showed in some recent instances a natural tendency for playing in the ruck. He can go at the ball without being pushed under it or being blocked out by other defenders.
He has a more direct line at the footy.

Imo, this is where he will find his belief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back