Autopsy Round 21 v Hawthorn @ The Apple Isle - August 6th 01:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our change in game plan has been a success overall and it's when we go away from it we have struggled. Still needs some tweaking, I think instead of the dump kick out of stoppage(Anderson, swallow) there is still room for a bit of handball and overlap(miller, Rowell). Just don't want to get to the point where you over do it and create more turn overs ( Adelaide).

I’m glad people are telling me we have improved immensely as otherwise I would think we are still a slow off the mark poor skilled and drilled team that has a one trick pony game plan of bomb it down the line and onto the goal square
The only time they dared was last quarter and almost pulled off an undeserved win. Poor coaching again but some think we have a good one. May not win another game this year (if NM beat us, it'll be a very bad ending). We can't get any sort of system down back which settles all the plays forward. Weller, Powell, Buderick and of course, Charlie would make a huge difference. There are at least 6 playing who just shouldn't get a game.

The only times we looked good were when we were daring and willing to take the kick in the corridor or not directly down the line when coming out of defence.

The problem is we only have Farrar and Andrew (a second game KPD) willing to take that kick because our backline is packed full of the worst kicks in our squad given the loss of Powell, Weller and Buddas.

Say what you want about Markov, but I don’t see how Macpherson in the back pocket over him is in any way an advantage to us. At least Markov creates with his kamikaze style.

Pretty good presser I would say. Bloody hell, basically all Hawks goals were from turnovers. Mac, Elijah, David praise. Rankine question.

He gave some praise to DMac as well. Not sure why? Was an average game from him with the usual number of errors. Not our worst, but not sure he deserved to be mentioned as one of our better players? Definitely a coach’s pet.

I just feel like Collins is one of those defenders that thrives with a good supporting cast around him.
Same with Lemmens. He’s been back to his usual self. He’s had one good season where a lot of people on here were talking him up but this year with most of our backline missing he has really struggled.

Totally agree has had more impact in his first 3 games than Davies has had in all his 15 games so far.
Very, very impressive for a third gamer. Wait until he’s played 50.

I know many of us already believed it, but seeing him perform like that at the top level just confirms it. Beautiful booming kick, slick fast hands, good decision maker, tackles hard with a bit of mongrel, very good mark for his size, has some speed once he winds up, oozes leadership potential, goal kicking mid… someone cool me down!!!

Now we simply MUST recruit his brother. Don’t care if we reach and use our first pick on him. Grab a KPD with our second pick if needs be.

He gave some praise to DMac as well. Not sure why? Was an average game from him with the usual number of errors. Not our worst, but not sure he deserved to be mentioned as one of our better players? Definitely a coach’s pet.
Darcy had 11 intercept possessions which was easily the most on our team interestingly.
I think it the praise was more acknowledging him playing a different role and doing ok in it.

Where's the thread for Suns vs Cats this week - or are we all just wanting to skip this one?
1e8b392f831bfbac7fad82e1ffe7f15b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This year we’re the 9th best attack (points for) 1698 points for with 2 games left.

Last year we were 18th best attack. 1430 points for the year.

We’re not Geelong, and yes, still make a lot of mistakes but scoring an extra 400+ points across the course of the year seems like pretty clear objective evidence of improvement to me.
Good point. Especially when our best forward went down preseason with an ACL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't start like that and expect to win. We can hope to win, but can't expect it.

Kicking with the wind and being 8 points down and looking turgid is no good. The slow starts this year are on both the players and coaches. Change something up ffs.

The Touk tag is a worry. Noah and Rowelly and Swallow are just not damaging enough by foot, so them getting more football is not enough. Need to get more football (Rowelly mainly) and then do more with it (Noah, Swallow). Really need the young mids to keep getting better.

Game plan? Not sure we can tell atm since our field kicking from the back half of the ground is poor (at best).

If a good and aggressive kicker has the ball then teammates have the confidence to work into a dangerous place. Not much confidence in the kicker and overly worried about a turnover, then everyone starts playing for the bomb down the line and staying near an opponent. On the TV, did not look like much movement in front of the ball until the last quarter when needing to be aggressive overcomes the worry about a turnover.

In that game, if we could have hit even 3 or 4 players in the middle of the ground when we were kicking with the wind we can create some more space in the forward line. Would have liked to see Luko behind the ball when we were kicking with the wind, but that might have been too creative for us (not a strong suit).

Some positives though. tbh, they only scored 70 points and somehow we went from being 27 points down to get within a kick. Not doing that last year, so there is progress. The % is still over 100 which is a massive tick.

Elijah looks ready to go. As I said last week, has been a real positive that he can be effective and useful while not playing as a pure mid. Dew much be ecstatic. Need some of that from players like Flanders and Davies.

Last edited:
The Touk tag is a worry. Noah and Rowelly and Swallow are just not damaging enough by foot, so them getting more football is not enough. Need to get more football (Rowelly mainly) and then do more with it (Noah, Swallow). Really need the young mids to keep getting better.

Couldn’t agree more. Rowelly needs to become a consistent 20+ possession getter, and Noah and Swallow are both hack kicks (Although I think Noah will clean this up over the next couple years because he seems to have a lot more time than he realises).

I feel like year 4 is when midfielders seem to take their game to the next level, so for Noah and Rowelly, that will be next year.

Can't start like that and expect to win. We can hope to win, but can't expect it.

Kicking with the wind and being 8 points down and looking turgid is no good. The slow starts this year are on both the players and coaches. Change something up ffs.

Game plan? Not sure we can tell atm since our field kicking from the back half of the ground is poor (at best).

If a good and aggressive kicker has the ball then teammates have the confidence to work into a dangerous place. Not much confidence in the kicker and overly worried about a turnover, then everyone starts playing for the bomb down the line and staying near an opponent. On the TV, did not look like much movement in from of the ball until the last quarter when needing to be aggressive overcomes the worry about a turnover.

In that game, if we could have hit even 3 or 4 players in the middle of the ground when we were kicking with the wind we can create some more space in the forward line. Would have liked to see Luko behind the ball when we were kicking with the wind, but that might have been too creative for us (not a strong suit).

Some positives though. tbh, they only scored 70 points and somehow we went from being 27 points down to get within a kick. Not doing that last year, so there is progress. The % is still over 100 which is a massive tick.

Elijah looks ready to go. As I said last week, has been a real positive that he can be effective and useful while not playing as a pure mid. Dew much be ecstatic. Need some of that from players like Flanders and Davies.

Great synopsis... Definitely need to get a couple of extra mids in the rotation and preferably who can use the ball...maybe Hollands and Ainsworth need to get 20%-30% midfield time just to add some offensive burst.

Very, very impressive for a third gamer. Wait until he’s played 50.

I know many of us already believed it, but seeing him perform like that at the top level just confirms it. Beautiful booming kick, slick fast hands, good decision maker, tackles hard with a bit of mongrel, very good mark for his size, has some speed once he winds up, oozes leadership potential, goal kicking mid… someone cool me down!!!

Now we simply MUST recruit his brother. Don’t care if we reach and use our first pick on him. Grab a KPD with our second pick if needs be.

Yep, need to position ourselves to get to the high end of where he will get drafted and just get him. Different player...more of a consistent accumulator with good kicking skills who is better on the outside but can do a bit around the ball. Not a powerful game breaker like his brother but looks a 200 game player that can play half back, wing and in time on the ball.

If we have to reach 4-5 draft spots up to keep the brothers for the next 10 years it's probably worth it.

Probably goes 10-15

I want to say one thing… how good is Touk!
Tagged to minimal impact. But instead of just accepting the loss he kept toiling away. Still got his 21 disposals.. most of which were heavily contested.

A lesser player would have given up and ended up with three disposals.. (hello Aaron Hall)

I want to say one thing… how good is Touk!
Tagged to minimal impact. But instead of just accepting the loss he kept toiling away. Still got his 21 disposals.. most of which were heavily contested.

A lesser player would have given up and ended up with three disposals.. (hello Aaron Hall)
Touk did well to get that much of the ball while having a guy hang off him but his impact was minimised drastically. This is where a player like Dusty Martin would come in handy because, without Touk impacting the game, our midfield doesn't look anywhere near as damaging. I'm confident Noah will eventually get there but it's a bit early for that and Rowelly just seems to be focusing on the contested stuff. The one guy we have that seems to step up in moments like that is Swallow but even he seems a bit limited in the way he can impact a game. I'd be happy to recruit Dusty for this exact reason.

Because of his "competitiveness" was the reasoning.
🤔🤔🤔

If a good and aggressive kicker has the ball then teammates have the confidence to work into a dangerous place. Not much confidence in the kicker and overly worried about a turnover, then everyone starts playing for the bomb down the line and staying near an opponent. On the TV, did not look like much movement in front of the ball until the last quarter when needing to be aggressive overcomes the worry about a turnover.

Feel free to uppercut me guys.
But is it just me or at the same stage of careers is it
Hollands............................................... Rankine.

Because of his "competitiveness" was the reasoning.
🤔🤔🤔
Watched the full game now. He had a couple of dreadful errors in the last quarter. Nothing to change my opinion. Those intercept possessions must’ve immediately been followed by turnovers. Maybe for Dew it’s like the McDonalds player of the match we used to get awarded in juniors for trying, because his “competitiveness” certainly didn’t do anything to influence the result our way. Not in our best 25 or even 30 IMO.

To be fair, Rankines first few games made him look like

Rankine.................................................. Betts

But it was downhill for a while after the first few matches

Small sample size - Rankine got off to a flyer in his 2nd year with flashy stuff that was both good and bad.

Hollands would have to have a meltdown next year to play worst than Rankine in his 3rd year.

I’m glad people are telling me we have improved immensely as otherwise I would think we are still a slow off the mark poor skilled and drilled team that has a one trick pony game plan of bomb it down the line and onto the goal square

Last year 7 wins and a percentage of 76

This year with one winnable game remaining 2 more wins and 26% to the better.

No 10 goal losses (yet). First time in our history.

Another 10-20 games into important players

Immense improvement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back