Autopsy Round 21 v Hawthorn @ The Apple Isle - August 6th 01:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Very poor first half. Destroyed in the middle.

Good second half.

It came down to not converting opportunities (like in all games bar 3-4). Misses by Chol and Luko can't happen.

It seems like finally most people realised that Collins was our worst KPD for the last 6-8 weeks. He may carry something, can't run, struggles 1v1, terrible turnovers, no confidence, had off-season surgery. Hopefully, a full pre-season helps.

Last week, Miller go almost killed against Eagles in the last min. Probably lucky to play.

Go Mac. Best kick in our defence at the moment. I forgive you that miss :grinv1:.

Not bad Elijah, you have a class.

Rankine? Not overly impressed. I think I am ready if he decides to leave.

IMO, Anderson and Rowell will be killing it next year with this season under belt. They looked spent but lifted after HT.

Can now Moyle and Faulkhead get opportunity too?

Last edited:

Why did it take us three quarters to realise that the safe kicks down the line weren't going to win us the game? It's as if the boys actually decided to have a crack in the fourth quarter and despite the wind going against us, we kept them to a single behind for that quarter meanwhile we had 17 inside 50s to their 10 but only managed to kick one goal from six scoring shots. Massive opportunity missed.

Old dew back to his old tricks..

s**t game plan for 3 qtrs..

Then decides to unleash the shackles at 3/4 time when desperate.

Really poor coaching

Call Clarko's manager

Ambassador money is back in play

SD had his chance and choked like Gary Rohan.

Enough

This club needs to become PROFESSIONAL - starting with the coach.

Dusty, Buddy FFS - get a top line hard bastard coach in - make the tough calls, clear the cloggers.
We have a best 16 that matches most clubs

Make the next step Suns FFS

Unlike many I wasn’t expecting us to win down there or make the finals. We’ve improved so much this year but are still missing a number of pieces to complete the puzzle. Focus must now shift to 2023.
That means dropping players who shouldn’t be part of our plans for next year, getting looks and games into those who are in positions we want to see.
Hopefully we have a positive trading and draft period, a big injury-free preseason, get players like King, Ballard and Powelly back, continue to work on strengthening and cohesion of our defence and midfield, get these boys bigger and stronger and give it a real tilt.
Best season we’ve had IMO. Blowouts are a thing of the past, percentage still over 100% at Round 21, Still a very young best 22. Lots to look forward to.

Unlike many I wasn’t expecting us to win down there or make the finals. We’ve improved so much this year but are still missing a number of pieces to complete the puzzle. Focus must now shift to 2023.
That means dropping players who shouldn’t be part of our plans for next year, getting looks and games into those who are in positions we want to see.
Hopefully we have a positive trading and draft period, a big injury-free preseason, get players like King, Ballard and Powelly back, continue to work on strengthening and cohesion of our defence and midfield, get these boys bigger and stronger and give it a real tilt.
Best season we’ve had IMO. Blowouts are a thing of the past, percentage still over 100% at Round 21, Still a very young best 22. Lots to look forward to.
100% agree. Usually, you are not as positive after a loss :p

100% agree. Usually, you are not as positive after a loss :p
Haha haven’t watched the game yet!!
Been thinking it for awhile now though. We’re at the stage where our best side can just about match anyone, and at home beat anyone. But when we’re not at full strength, our lack of depth (despite improving), and experience can’t cover our inadequacies.
Another big preseason and more luck with injuries needed.
Ballard’s loss shouldn’t be underestimated.

Haha haven’t watched the game yet!!
Been thinking it for awhile now though. We’re at the stage where our best side can just about match anyone, and at home beat anyone. But when we’re not at full strength, our lack of depth (despite improving), and experience can’t cover our inadequacies.
Another big preseason and more luck with injuries needed.
Ballard’s loss shouldn’t be underestimated.
Warning. First half if not nice watching.

It's telling that despite poor first half, many players struggling, we had basically the game in our hands in the last quarter. We run out the game strongly. I just think we still had too young midfield this year and refused to play more players there. It better be worth it next year.

Am I the only one who can see Jones is a 4 to 5 goal upgrade on Graham. With Ballard and Jones l can see an almost inpenatrable wall.
Am l missing something.
I also think he would be a great get in his best form.

I guess probably 3 year contract is a issue and money? Also Mac will probably play more next year? One year out of the system?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Hawks fan, I wanted Hollands during his draft year. I'm very happy we got Denver Grainger-Barras, but I could foresee Hollands being viewed as a top 10 player in the AFL. A good pick by Gold Coast and a very promising performance from him.

Last edited:
As a Hawks fan, I wanted Hollands during his draft year. I'm very happy we got Denver Grainger-Barras, but I could foresee Hollands being viewed as a top 10 player in the AFL. A good pick by Gold Coast and a very promising performance from him. For your sake, I hope he gives Rowell a kick up the backside.
Why would he need to do that? Kid missed basically 2 seasons from various injuries and has come out this year and is 10th in clearances, 4th in contested possessions, 6th in centre clearances, and 4th in tackles in the whole AFL before the age of 21.

Don't let his pure disposal numbers trick you into thinking he's playing badly. Kid has been an absolute stud and is so unselfish as a teammate it's almost annoying.

Elijah looks fantastic though

I saw Graham punch the ball he should have marked completly uncontested about 5 times. It's just unacceptable. Is he being directed to do that?
You know what though I reckon he becomes a gun all of a sudden potentially. He starts getting the confidence to mark and all of a sudden he's awesome cos he's getting to the positions to mark.

He's worth persisting with. Rance was a s**t truck like Graham for a few years.

Am I the only one who can see Jones is a 4 to 5 goal upgrade on Graham. With Ballard and Jones l can see an almost inpenatrable wall.
Am l missing something.
We have passed on the key defender every year since god knows..

Just draft one already Jedd Busslinger is in and around our pick this year

You know what though I reckon he becomes a gun all of a sudden potentially. He starts getting the confidence to mark and all of a sudden he's awesome cos he's getting to the positions to mark.

He's worth persisting with. Rance was a s**t truck like Graham for a few years.
I agree with you there. I just want to know is it an instruction or not.
Also if the Club passes on Jones because he wants 3 years l'm going to loose my s**t.
One defenders can often play much longer and secondly even if we only get 2 good years he's going far better value than Thompson has been for the last 5 years FFS.

Why would he need to do that? Kid missed basically 2 seasons from various injuries and has come out this year and is 10th in clearances, 4th in contested possessions, 6th in centre clearances, and 4th in tackles in the whole AFL before the age of 21.

Don't let his pure disposal numbers trick you into thinking he's playing badly. Kid has been an absolute stud and is so unselfish as a teammate it's almost annoying.

Elijah looks fantastic though
Well, I must admit that I haven't watched Gold Coast much since our previous match, and I was unaware he was performing this well as I haven't paid too much attention to him since I lost my SuperCoach team. I just thought Rowell wasn't on today and looked lethargic hence why I made that statement in my original comment. It was an uneducated comment, and I apologise for my idiotic remark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back