Review Round 21 vs Carlton @ Marvel Stadium (07.08.2021 @ 1:45pm)

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Goldcoast-vs-Carlton.png

2021 AFL Season
Round 21
Gold Coast FC vs Carlton Blues
Marvel Stadium, Docklands, Victoria
Saturday the 7th of August - 01:45pm Australian Eastern Standard Time​

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Last chance for a win for the year IMO.

Hopefully Day comes in. Helps our structure out significantly. Allows Corbett to get third-best defender and room to move up the ground.

Any chance Ellis comes back in?

Blues haven't got a healthy ruckman AFAIK, so drop Smith and bring in Day. Burgess to play fulltime ruck against a fellow undersized ruckman.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
I reckon the boys should just keep feeding the ball to Touk, Inflate his stats so he can get an AA jacket, its the least they can do. We can then trade pick 2-4 to whoever for some B grader. Win Win

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So the Richmond and GWS games mean nothing?
Sorry but No
They were a foundation to build on and the rest of the footy World was watching closely to see if it was another false dawn
Which it was
Richmond and GWS are bottom 8 teams
Our problem is we celebrate when we dig in and overcome-because it's not part of our DNA
We need to make grinding wins our hallmark games not our celebration games

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Cmon guys! I’m really disappointed in the lack of faith from you guys and how you’ve turned so quickly. People are incredibly harsh. Sometimes I think people are wanting us to lose so Dew can go. I’m for one not that person. That isn’t the right attitude to be having.

We know history with young sides. They can be inconsistent. The past month of footy has been pretty solid imo. We were due to have a shocker. Melbourne are a quality side and deserve to be a contender for the premiership. Usually in back ends of the year we really drop and to be frank this year we haven’t dropped off to bad in the second half of the year. That’s improvement and something we should be proud of. Those Richmond and GWS games HAVE to count for something. They were club defining. They were games we showed the AFL we could match it with final contender sides. Even the Dogs game a few weeks ago we were competitive and the Lions last week we blitzed them in the first half! Cmon guys we gotta be positive! The boys feed off the faith and positivity from our supporters!

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Cmon guys! I’m really disappointed in the lack of faith from you guys and how you’ve turned so quickly. People are incredibly harsh. Sometimes I think people are wanting us to lose so Dew can go. I’m for one not that person. That isn’t the right attitude to be having.

We know history with young sides. They can be inconsistent. The past month of footy has been pretty solid imo. We were due to have a shocker. Melbourne are a quality side and deserve to be a contender for the premiership. Usually in back ends of the year we really drop and to be frank this year we haven’t dropped off to bad in the second half of the year. That’s improvement and something we should be proud of. Those Richmond and GWS games HAVE to count for something. They were club defining. They were games we showed the AFL we could match it with final contender sides. Even the Dogs game a few weeks ago we were competitive and the Lions last week we blitzed them in the first half! Cmon guys we gotta be positive! The boys feed off the faith and positivity from our supporters!
I for one have always backed Dew, purely because I feel the club can't afford another reset of operations, players or staff without significant long term damage to the brand and growing supporter base. However the only exception to that theory would be Alistar Clarkson taking the reins. Now that this is a possibility I feel Dew is coaching for his career this week.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I for one have always backed Dew, purely because I feel the club can't afford another reset of operations, players or staff without significant long term damage to the brand and growing supporter base. However the only exception to that theory would be Alistar Clarkson taking the reins. Now that this is a possibility I feel Dew is coaching for his career this week.
I've had the same feelings re Dew- another reset isn't what we need...but can we go into a fifth year of Dew getting whacked by 100 points?
If a senior experienced winning coach like Clarkson or Roos put up their hand that's different
We're in a tight corner
The best outcome would be for the team to start winning-but we've been saying that for 12 years

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
So the Richmond and GWS games mean nothing?
Apparently not according to some of the vocal posters in here.

I for one do appreciate your ability to look beyond one game against one of the flag favorites.

But I'll continue to get shouted down because the "we're so s**t" echo cambers is louder than a few rational voices.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I've had the same feelings re Dew- another reset isn't what we need...but can we go into a fifth year of Dew getting whacked by 100 points?
If a senior experienced winning coach like Clarkson or Roos put up their hand that's different
We're in a tight corner
The best outcome would be for the team to start winning-but we've been saying that for 12 years
The main concern is most of these players are now 3+ years with Dew - yet we still have absolutely no idea how to stem any bleeding when put to the sword.
They are a good team but have struggled against most of the lower teams lately.
What we’ve seen in the last 6 quarters is comparable to our performances in 2011, 2012. Fans deserve to be critical of those performances. I am seething, yet was once Dew’s biggest fan on here.

What was people's expectations for this year in terms of wins? 6-7? That's what it could likely end up. Two blowouts hasn't been great (three I suppose if you include the dogs game earlier in the year) though I thought it had been a mostly posituve year. But they need to find consistency, with young group its not always easy.

But no doubt they need to respond this week. Need to earn back some respect.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
We’ve lost some important mature bodies in recent weeks. Holman, who had been in career best form, plus Ellis, Greenwood & Day. These are the players our backs look for when they’re kicking out of D50. When they look up & the only mature bodies they can see are in opposition uniforms, it leads to the sort of rubbish they dished up yesterday. I’m not sure changing coaches will fix that. Recruiting mature players would help. They don’t have to be world-beaters. They just have to get to contests & then either take a mark or bring the ball to the ground to give our younger blokes a chance

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

Many of us have been on the Suns since the 2008 GC17 days, years of false dawns and empty promises has understandable made some of us long timers jaded. I think the “attitude “ as you put it is 100% justified

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs

The wins do count, and the Tigers and GWS wins were against the tide and counted for a lot.

But so do the losses count, so does how we lose, and so does how we respond to a bad loss.

The last two are the problem. We have lost a few looking like a leaderless rabble. The first half against the Dogs, the first game against the Lions, the Power game (not sure how we 'only' lost that by 50 points, the 2nd half against the Lions, and now the Demons.
And losing like a leaderless rabble is no good for anyone, especially the week after a bad loss.

Still, I had 8 wins as the pass mark for the year.

Being positive, and given my intense dislike of Carlton, any win over the Blues is worth two.

So if we win this week, it is a pass mark season from me!

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What was people's expectations for this year in terms of wins? 6-7? That's what it could likely end up. Two blowouts hasn't been great (three I suppose if you include the dogs game earlier in the year) though I thought it had been a mostly posituve year. But they need to find consistency, with young group its not always easy.

But no doubt they need to respond this week. Need to earn back some respect.
9 was the goal for me. 6 just isn't enough when we won 5 last year in a reduced season.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Given our position on the ladder, who we have to play and the improving form of NM, Hawks and Adelaide on same points as us....we could conceivably finish 17 or even 18 at end of year. No way Dew survives that.
Yep he has to go, have defended him in past but the shine is gone.

Back