Autopsy Round 22 – GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Saturday 18th August 2018, Spotless Stadium, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Umps have been paid out. Bit of a circus group.

I understand Finlayson is injured, but the lack of desperation hes shown in NEAFL has become blatantly obvious today. Cameron another passenger at the moment.

Lobb dropping so many almost-marks today.

Admiration for Davis though. Champion. Glad to know despite all our injuries (no kelly, scully, williams, deboer, corr, simpson, patton, deledio, griffen, greene, taylor, shaw), we could potentially have won had Davis not got sniped out by Lobb. Surprisingly, even though we will lose, actually so proud of the boys under adversity. 3 weeks in a row with barely a bench and still doing so well. No culture? No grit? What a joke. Our boys deserve all their success.

Wouldnt be too proud if I were the swans. Playing against so many of our reserve players while we were also another casual 4 people injured. Umps nursing them all day. Hope our boys hold their head high.

Yeah we really just did not have any legs in the 4th but to see the boys hustling and playing so hard was excellent. The fact we could have actually been in that but for the umpiring is actually a real tribute to the team and the character of the organization

Lets just forfeit the match next week and not show up. Take a 2 week bye. Dont want to risk getting another 4 injuries before finals, wont be able to field a team.

Lets just forfeit the match next week and not show up. Take a 2 week bye. Dont want to risk getting another 4 injuries before finals, wont be able to field a team.

I'm actually feeling exactly the same way at the moment. Taking the gf to Melbourne to watch the game and tbh I would rather go all the way there to watch us fielding a team of random dudes of the street and losing by 100 than copping even more injuries and wearing the boys out in another valiant effort withe no interchange

We are certain to finish outside the top 4 now. If we lose to Melbourne it’ll most likely be 7th.
The injuries caught up with us tonight.

I'm actually feeling exactly the same way at the moment. Taking the gf to Melbourne to watch the game and tbh I would rather go all the way there to watch us fielding a team of random dudes of the street and losing by 100 than copping even more injuries and wearing the boys out in another valiant effort withe no interchange
Agreed. To be honest even though I enjoyed seeing the boys so desperate to win, I was really looking forward to the end of the match because only then would there be no more injuries. But knowing us, someone will probably trip on the way back to the rooms and get a concussion or roll an ankle or something. Jezza doing his ankle in the warmup pretty much sums up our season.

Gotta do some cheeky 'managing' of Shiel, Cogs, Taranto, Hopper, Cameron (for the team and his own sake), Lobb, Haynes, Davis, Ward, etc. Time to see our NEAFL team shine at the G I reckon. Surely the amount of injuries we have suffered is unprecedented. Something is definitely wrong in the waters of Western Sydney.

Forget the umpiring, our structures are appalling when the heat is on. Our big men don't stand up. Lobb is a makeshift ruck, if this isn't fixed in the offseason, may as well not bother with next year. What happened to the side that took on every side with run and carry? Never see handball chains off half back to create the tsunami anymore. The number of u turns and hacks forward around the corner to nobody in the last half was a joke. This coaching panel has some serious issues with what has happened to the way we now play.

Agreed. To be honest even though I enjoyed seeing the boys so desperate to win, I was really looking forward to the end of the match because only then would there be no more injuries. But knowing us, someone will probably trip on the way back to the rooms and get a concussion or roll an ankle or something. Jezza doing his ankle in the warmup pretty much sums up our season.

Gotta do some cheeky 'managing' of Shiel, Cogs, Taranto, Hopper, Cameron (for the team and his own sake), Lobb, Haynes, Davis, Ward, etc. Time to see our NEAFL team shine at the G I reckon. Surely the amount of injuries we have suffered is unprecedented. Something is definitely wrong in the waters of Western Sydney.

Looking to hire a new conditioning team (or whatever they call the blokes in charge of keeping the team healthy and on the field) might be the best move we can make this off season, even over finding a ruck

Forget the umpiring, our structures are appalling when the heat is on. Our big men don't stand up. Lobb is a makeshift ruck, if this isn't fixed in the offseason, may as well not bother with next year. What happened to the side that took on every side with run and carry? Never see handball chains off half back to create the tsunami anymore. The number of u turns and hacks forward around the corner to nobody in the last half was a joke. This coaching panel has some serious issues with what has happened to the way we now play.
We definitely lost our composure once Davis got injured. We were panicking everytime Sydney attacked since all they had to do was isolate Finlayson and Franklin and something would happen. Not much of a tactic but kudos to Longmire for having common sense. But for whatever reason, Leon really persisted with that matchup, not sure why he didnt just try something else since it was obviously not working. Haynes and Tommo had to constantly help save Finlayson from getting absoluted toweled up. Should have freed up Finlayson and Kenners to provide the run off the back. Maybe even switch TOJ forward. Cant just be rigid when things arent working hoping they will change. Had a funny thought to even chuck Jezza onto Franklin. He might not have been any good as a defender, but he would have the strength and speed and couldnt have done much worse than Finlayson. At least Jezza would have been involved in the passage of play.

When our defense started to break down, our mids started to panic. Their players lifted in confidence and started dominating the midfield battle too. By the 4th quarter, we just lost the plot and started to just start bomb long (pretty much identical to the 1 month period where we played terribly) with every kick. It seems thats just the way our players naturally play when theyre low on confidence. Interestingly, the bombing long tactic coincides with the loss of Kelly. Feel like our team is dependent on Whitfield and Kelly to operate with the loss of other quality users like Wilson, Scully and Williams. I feel like thats what made us so dangerous is 2016, if one didnt slice and dice you, another would. Couldnt possibly tag 5-6 players. But now, we are heavy reliant on #Whilly - so with Kelly gone and Whitfield tagged out, we are lost.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought if we beat Melbourne then we're still in with a shot at 4th?

We'd need the Pies to lose to Freo (HA!), because Sydney and Hawthorn are playing each other so at least one of them will finish above us.

Yeah I'm assuming Hawthorn will beat the Saints. So sue me.

Looking to hire a new conditioning team (or whatever they call the blokes in charge of keeping the team healthy and on the field) might be the best move we can make this off season, even over finding a ruck
Without a proper conditioning coach or whatever, even if we brought Gawn/Grundy to the team, they would probably get injured. I think the moral of the past 2 seasons is, regardless of who we have on our list if they cant stay on the field it is pointless. Hopefully the new list management team dont do a Deledio blunder again. I think regardless of how good deledio once was, it was a joke trading a 1st and 3rd rd pick for a 29 year old guy with a history of recurrent soft tissue injuries. Even if you are trying to ice an already talented list, you dont bring in a guy who cant stay on the park. I feel for both Lids and Griff really (both coming from teams to win a premiership, but ironically staying would have been better for them) but I think with their run of injuries, might be time to call it a career and give the younger boys a turn.

Many on the Sydney board also lauding how great Franklin was today. Not sure if they forgot Davis was pretty much blanketing him until he got injured. The only goal Franklin scored on him was when Davis slipped over. Franklin is an all-time great dont get me wrong, but had he not been playing on Finlayson (a NEAFL player who is not really a KPD), he would not have looked quite so dominant. Pretty sure Franklin was salivating when Davis went down, he knew he would have fun toying with TOJ.

Have to get another ruck from somewhere. Lobb can't be trusted to do the job in a big game again after that.

Jezza was woeful too but I guess you have to assume he was injured.

Taranto, Haynes, Kennedy, Buntine, Himmelberg all terrific and Davis inspirational. But was all left to too few tonight.

I know I shouldn’t do this but who gives a stuff anymore about jinxes.
I reckon our first final side will be:
Haynes Davis Williams
Whitfield Corr Tomlinson
Shiel Coniglio Kelly
Taranto Cameron Cogs
Langdon HH Greene
Lobb Ward Hopper
Deledio* Kennedy De Boer Daniel

Sack Joyce, I have had it with the injuries over the lst few seasons. Wonder how the players all feel. It has probably cost us a flag, any what faith do the players have with the system.
Fair dinkum had enough of it.
And ffs was that the worst umpiring in a half of football, sack those maggots as well!

We had the game there for the winning, Davis' injury was just not something we had cover for, he is the only one on our list who can handle Buddy well, Griffen going down at the same time was either adding insult to injury or the straw that broke the camel's back.
For Davis to continue to play on as a forward for the 2nd half to give us rotations was a serious leadership act, but hopefully at no future cost.

fwiw I think that was one of the poorest officiated games I've seen this year, not biased, just not AFL standard work

Last edited:
I know I shouldn’t do this but who gives a stuff anymore about jinxes.
I reckon our first final side will be:
Haynes Davis Williams
Whitfield Corr Tomlinson
Shiel Coniglio Kelly
Taranto Cameron Cogs
Langdon HH Greene
Lobb Ward Hopper
Deledio* Kennedy De Boer Daniel

That's a large number of soft injury risks to go into a big final with.

And I'd be putting Williams in cotton wool. One more NEAFL game and then get ready for day 1 of pre-season. Too valuable to rush in for a season that is now likely toast.

That's a large number of soft injury risks to go into a big final with.

And I'd be putting Williams in cotton wool. One more NEAFL game and then get ready for day 1 of pre-season. Too valuable to rush in for a season that is now likely toast.

I watched the 2nd half and he appeared to be onfield for about 60% of it, no clue as to how much of the 1st half he played but he did get 30 touches.
I think (would love to know) that he is at no risk but lacks genuine match fitness, but I believe 60-70 percent of Zach time is worth more than 80 or 90 percent of some of the replacements we've used.
1 more game of NEAFL, then the other bye so 3 weeks to get fit enough for AFL, I'd back him in for sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back