Preview Round 22 – GWS Giants vs West Coast Eagles, Saturday 18th August, 4.35pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Lids slowly adjusting to the pace of the game and regaining fitness.

18 possies, 5 marks, 2 goals, 2 assists.

Probably won't be back to his best by finals, but close enough will be good enough.
Started really well though dropped off. Hopefully he'll keep getting better.

Wins a win, thought they were lucky to be so close at 1/2 time. We outplayed them but didnt get scoreboard result and then they got like 3 quick goals and were back in it. We are still on an upward curve, it was patchy but guys are finding form and will get better each week. Feel like we are missing one mid for the hard stuff, Hopper is not there yet but we dont have anyone else.

Playing Himmelberg when Lobb was out was probably a mistake. Basically combined our bad pressure and slow forward line with much worse contested marking. We should've gone smaller and let Patton ruck.

All year Kelly has been a really good accumulator and distributor but tonight he was pretty bloody breathtaking.

It was the complete performance of a genuine Group 1 star with precision, skill, hard work and toughness.

Ive said previously that he is a nice player but hasn't ever dragged us over the line.

Tonight he did, it was a masterclass.

Pay him whatever he wants and pray he takes it.

Playing Himmelberg when Lobb was out was probably a mistake. Basically combined our bad pressure and slow forward line with much worse contested marking. We should've gone smaller and let Patton ruck.

Just home, unf HH had a game to forget, the ball bounced of his chest, his hands, his shoulder and at one point I think his head.
At this stage he is a far better back than forward target.

Their tough in defensive marking maybe a bridge too far for the young fella? The Cats are tough too though.

That was an ordinary performance.
Some poor disposals at crucial times, and players were a bit selfish at times too I thought. Worst of all was the lack of tackle pressure.
If I was Leon I'd be pretty pissed.

Their tough in defensive marking maybe a bridge too far for the young fella? The Cats are tough too though.
He's young and still has a heap of development in him. Should be a good one in a couple of years... Just not up to being a focal point in attack yet.

But honestly how good was MDB ?

Freo fans bagged the s**t out of him and wanted him gone.

I really hope he wins a f** with GWS. Deserves one

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy to eat my words on signing him...

Not the most talented guy out there by a long shot, but his relentless effort is telling, also has to be rubbing off on the guys eventually

I loooooove MDB. Raised an eyebrow at his drafting but didn't think too much of it one way or another, but he's been much better for the team than he had any right to be. He's pretty vanilla but he just keeps bringing the pressure and doing what's needed every game.

The number of skill errors from both teams due to inconsitent bounces is alarming, this stadium surface is a cow paddock.

It's a shame because it does effect he spectacle.

I think we'll get up but haven't yet slipped into top gear. Their defence is exceptional particularly McGovern and Yeo.

Kelly has been outstanding tonight.
My wife believes that the ump's are doing this somewhat on purpose so it gets dropped next season. How many games previous seasons had so many consistently bad bounces? Or is it just noticed now because of the possible change?

I loooooove MDB. Raised an eyebrow at his drafting but didn't think too much of it one way or another, but he's been much better for the team than he had any right to be. He's pretty vanilla but he just keeps bringing the pressure and doing what's needed every game.
He spoke well at the presser at Giants HQ. Really confident.

Interesting I was posting on their board and I saw a lot of love. Seems to be female fans a lot for some reason.
A couple if the players have mentioned he drives the constant need to imorove around the club, so I'd say with that and his on-field efforts he's definitely doing the job he was recruited for.

Lids slowly adjusting to the pace of the game and regaining fitness.

18 possies, 5 marks, 2 goals, 2 assists.

Probably won't be back to his best by finals, but close enough will be good enough.
I thought Lids was real good. Efficient ball use, worked hard up the ground, and kicked 2. His overhead marking is such a weapon, and he's so poised and a great decision maker.

Ok performance overall and a few players had exceptional games and good to have the win and I can see they are building nicely for a finals campaign
Good to see the players with a high DE although still some shocking turnovers from players and they were lucky that it was an Eagles team not at their best
Ward was immense and he will be so important for the rest of the season
Happy with Corrs performance he will learn from playing on Kennedy again and his ability to rebound as a KPD will be such an asset to have
So undecided on Smith, he has the ability to break open the game, I think the game was 2015 v Suns and he had 4 goals and was so damaging but he seems so far off that kind of performance although defensively he has so much to offer
That is the performance Whitfield is capable of and he needs to reach that more often, for an outside player he is brave going for the ball
Deledio looking good and hope he can continue to get more involved as his talent will be needed in September

Ok performance overall and a few players had exceptional games and good to have the win and I can see they are building nicely for a finals campaign
Good to see the players with a high DE although still some shocking turnovers from players and they were lucky that it was an Eagles team not at their best
Ward was immense and he will be so important for the rest of the season
Happy with Corrs performance he will learn from playing on Kennedy again and his ability to rebound as a KPD will be such an asset to have
So undecided on Smith, he has the ability to break open the game, I think the game was 2015 v Suns and he had 4 goals and was so damaging but he seems so far off that kind of performance although defensively he has so much to offer
That is the performance Whitfield is capable of and he needs to reach that more often, for an outside player he is brave going for the ball
Deledio looking good and hope he can continue to get more involved as his talent will be needed in September

Smith can be very valuable to us if he accepts and embraces the role of a defensive pressure forward. He has good speed and endurance and can be very important if he makes the choice to focus on that for the team.

Hopper on face value appears the least valuable mid however for structure he is important as he puts his head in the hole and is a big body. He is doing a similar kind of job to Griffen. He's actually got very poor agility and can be a hack kick but he is as hard as a cat's head and that is important, particularly in finals.

Whitfield is working hard as a runner. He's probably not hitting the scoreboard as much as we would like but his running is causing havoc, as is Scully and Kelly.

They just need to keep doing their roles and it's all sweet.

Apparently Smith is one of our better performers for pressure acts. This is a stat that coaches love but I find hard to get a gauge of, its kind of a stat for almost tackles and waving arms about wheras i would prefer to see 4-5 proper chase down and actual tackles rather than this, but this is modern footy stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back