Preview Round 22 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Sunday 18th August, Giants Stadium, 3.20pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Sincere thanks to the 11,741 hardy souls who braved utterly miserable conditions on Friday night. You turned up, and we didn’t.

The attendance was just about the only positive on a bad night for the club. We got a bigger crowd than the Dockers game (which was in perfect weather), and one consistent with the turnout when the Saints came to play. We seem to have a really solid base of support in Canberra. Pity we showed them no respect by not even trying.

You can’t blame the injuries, either. We appear to have learned nothing after being defeated by the Hawks back in Round 8. The team we fielded that day was close to full strength, but the players were singing from the same hymn sheet – in touch at half time, then blown away without a fight. Clarkson must have seen us coming.

This sort of really bad performance is happening too often to be a coincidence. it happened last year and now again this year. It suggests to me some sort of underlying team weakness that is brutally exposed under pressure.

The storm on Friday night was one thing, but there’s another one on the horizon, and this is one of those perfect storms. Expectations, injuries, list management, contract negotiations, and perhaps coaching efficacy all seem to be coming together this week. The word “implosion” comes to mind.

I was going to say we’ve always hit back hard the following week after a bad loss, but this time we have a problem. The Bulldogs destroyed Essendon last night and looked like the premiership team of 2016, so we’re going to find out a lot about ourselves on Sunday. It doesn’t matter who takes the field and there’s probably not much point speculating on team changes because we all saw what happened this week with Himmelberg, Finlayson and Hopper. This week will be all about hunger and attitude, not who’s playing.

As for the Bulldogs, they have to win to have any chance of making the eight and will relish returning to the scene of their PF triumph. They probably believe they even have a chance of replicating 2016 if they can manage to pinch a finals spot.

At least we know what’s coming. Batten down the hatches and prepare for a torrid afternoon.

It's time for everyone at GWS to dig really deep.

Last edited:

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs don't have to win this to make the finals .. Essendope and Adelaide are unlikely to win again and the dogs should beat Adelaide

Having said that a win will be handy

I doubt GWS play like this week again so I don't think we get it done

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not looking forward to this game and the Dogs should start favourites imo and about 4 players under injury clouds does not look good and it could be a game for Shipley and a debut for Sproule
To get the win the stars need to align and Whitfield/Greene/Williams/Cameron and Kelly need to fire

Shaw Davis Haynes
Reid Keefe Kennedy
Whitfield Taranto/Shipley Kelly
MDB Cameron Tomlinson
Hill HH/Sproule Daniels
Mumford Greene Williams
Perryman Stein Bonar/Caldwell/Deledio

Sproule for HH
Shipley for Taranto

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
But of course...

tenor-5.gif

Leon Cameron ruled out Finlayson and Hopper already I believe. BUT Kelly, Himmelberg are back
Taranto sat out a good part of the end of the game Friday night, interesting to see if he gets up.

Always someone new to miss each week it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back