Review Round 22, 2016 - Brisbane Lions vs Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Remember that night when Collingwood kicked 100 goals against us this year. Gardiner was on the Pies best forward - Fasolo. See how many he kicked?
Yep and earlier in the year when we won our first game against the Suns in Round 4 he kept Jack Martin to 1 goal who had kicked 9 goals in the first 3 games. He will become a handy player long term with his ability to shut down smaller/medium forwards while also playing on slightly taller opponents and helping stop the dominant key forwards as a 3rd tall. I think some posters are being very harsh on a 3rd year player who has played in a defence that has been under the pump all season with the midfield getting thrashed and the inside 50's virtually constant. I'd like to see him improve his marking ability and offensive game but I see him as a best 22 player long term.

Jimmy Two Hands

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks/Seattle Seahawks
image.jpeg

May 20, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not to bag anyone's opinion, as we all see things differently.

But Gardiner? Seriously? He has basically no disposal skills, is uncoordinated in attacking the ball, is a woeful kick, wantonly gifts free kicks, and, apart from his frequently misdirected he-man efforts, applies minimal body contact. Oh, forgot- never takes marks.

If Gardiner is the answer, we're asking the wrong question. IMHO. Keep looking.
Sounds like Alex Rances' first 3 years.

Joel Selwood meets his match in Rhys Mathieson after giving away high free kick

This is delicious.

THE apprentice outsmarted the master — and that didn’t go down too well with Geelong skipper Joel Selwood.

The Cats star is the best in the business when it comes to drawing head-high free kicks but he met his match in Brisbane youngster Rhys Mathieson at the Gabba on Sunday.

And Selwood got a taste of his own medicine when he gave away a high free to Mathieson late in the second quarter.

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo

Asked Rhys' cousin (who is a cats fan) today how he felt about that play (which i described as the highlight of our season). His response was that he wasn't surprised at all with the high free and afters, but to then go back and kick the goal was very impressive. He also said he was amazed at how much he has improved since his debut. I had to agree.

This kid is a heart and soul type player with added x-factor. Type that every champion team needs.

Albi_Mangler , you get me thinking whether Rhys was a Cats fan, and I dug up this pre-draft interview from back in 2014.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/video/2015-11-12/draft-prospect-rhys-mathieson

So he spent a week training with the Cats, and talked about how he got to train with Joel Selwood, who he says he looked up to.

I reckon that's a fun bit of context. Selwood remembered the gun salute so he must have been following Matho's progress. A fair bit of mutual respect I'd say.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Asked Rhys' cousin (who is a cats fan) today how he felt about that play (which i described as the highlight of our season). His response was that he wasn't surprised at all with the high free and afters, but to then go back and kick the goal was very impressive. He also said he was amazed at how much he has improved since his debut. I had to agree.

This kid is a heart and soul type player with added x-factor. Type that every champion team needs.
Agreed. I think every club will regret passing on him. We are so lucky he slid all the way down to pick 39 as he was rated as a top 10 prospect for the best part of 18 months. He has that cockiness that our side has lacked for so long and every good side needs. I think he'll end up being one of the best midfielders in this draft he just needs to improve his fitness so he can start to impact games for all 4 quarters. His ability to read the ruckmans tap is very impressive, he has a nice long kick on him and he is an accurate kick in front of the goals. He'll become a contested/clearance beast I think. So happy we have him!

Plenty were lauding the shooter thing from Selwood as a great sledge. I don't get it. I'm pretty sure it stopped being a 'great sledge' the second the ball flew between the big sticks. When you get sucked in to giving your opponent a goal, there is no sledge.

Oh, I reckon it's pretty good. It's really a compliment, if you think about it. if it was nasty or pointed then it wouldn't be a great sledge, if there is such a thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
I think our coaching was well summed up by Leppa yesterday- he said we "ran out of legs". In round 22. Implicitly, the coach is admitting we aren't fit. In round 22. Says it all really.

I'm sure they're fit, just not battle-hardened enough yet. Nearly half the side was a bunch of kids still adjusting to playing a 22 game season against bigger mature bodies. It's a massive step up from playing a 17 game season against fellow skinny teenagers. In fact there's nothing comparable to it. Even the VFL is only an 18 game season.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Matho will bring the fans back. Haven't had someone I look forward to watching specifically each week since Akker.
would he be a chance for a rising star nomination this week? they usually base it on a period of good form, he has been particularly good the last few weeks. the improvement in his disposal and clamness has been very noticeable over the last month.

would he be a chance for a rising star nomination this week? they usually base it on a period of good form, he has been particularly good the last few weeks. the improvement in his disposal and clamness has been very noticeable over the last month.

Nope, randomly gave it to Daniel rioli.

Crazy.

Agreed. I think every club will regret passing on him. We are so lucky he slid all the way down to pick 39 as he was rated as a top 10 prospect for the best part of 18 months. He has that cockiness that our side has lacked for so long and every good side needs. I think he'll end up being one of the best midfielders in this draft he just needs to improve his fitness so he can start to impact games for all 4 quarters. His ability to read the ruckmans tap is very impressive, he has a nice long kick on him and he is an accurate kick in front of the goals. He'll become a contested/clearance beast I think. So happy we have him!
And he said his parents were intending to move to Queensland so not only is he going to stick it to every club that skipped him (all of them), there won't be a go home factor either.
Yesyesyesyesyes

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is that a fact? I'll have to keep an eye on this kid. He seems quite promising.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oh, I reckon it's pretty good. It's really a compliment, if you think about it. if it was nasty or pointed then it wouldn't be a great sledge, if there is such a thing.
I reckon a good sledge is one that puts the recipient in their place somewhat and either preempts or mocks a failure or failing.

LMFAO, that's Selwood's 'ripper' sledge? Pissweak last words from a sore loser more like it, complete with the shove as he ran away. The only way that passage of play could've been better was if Maitheson got in his face again after he sprayed it down the other end a few minutes later to remind him.

Aug 7, 2015
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
I know matho personally, friends with his sister. When we first drafted him, I was disappointed. I thought he was leaving as soon as possible. Having spoken to him and his family now, he definitely wants to stay and is a man who will wear the jumper with pride. Very happy to have him on board now.

Aug 7, 2015
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Why did he want out straight away ?
Sorry I may have been misunderstood. Pre draft conversations had me believing he only wanted to play for a big victorian club, which attracted large crowds. However, speaking to him now, he says he felt straight at home with the lions, said craig and melissa lambert are beyond fantastic and loves all the boys. Said re-signing was a literal no brainer.

Back