Discussion Round 22, 2016 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh FFS if Port are going to add the White Number Panel to increase the contrast between the sides they should wear the white shorts also, it's pretty stupid for Adelaide to also be in the white shorts. "Lets add more white to both teams, that'll fix the clash in the Showdown" ?????

The Gillon regime seems to have really dropped the ball on clash issues its getting worse.

Last edited:

Oh FFS if Port are going to add the White Number Panel to increase the contrast between the sides they should wear the white shorts also, it's pretty stupid for Adelaide to also be in the white shorts. "Lets add more white to both teams, that'll fix the clash in the Showdown" ?????

The Gillion regime seems to have really dropped the ball on clash issues its getting worse.
I'm pretty sure the AFL both (A) don't think there's a clash in the Showdown and (B) don't see a white number panel adding enough white to force PA into the white shorts.
Crows home showdown looks better for three reasons: (1) Port looks better in white shorts (2) White shorts complement white number panel (3) Crows look crap in white shorts.

Optimally, and by the general non-big4 standard, the Crows would be in white or yellow jumpers tonight.

It's not really Gillons decision though?
They've definately relaxed the decision making in regards to clash this year compared to previous years, so many games where home with white shorts have been worn when they wouldn't have in the past mostly to the detriment of the visual presentation of the match.

I'm pretty sure the AFL both (A) don't think there's a clash in the Showdown and (B) don't see a white number panel adding enough white to force PA into the white shorts.
Crows home showdown looks better for three reasons: (1) Port looks better in white shorts (2) White shorts complement white number panel (3) Crows look crap in white shorts.

Optimally, and by the general non-big4 standard, the Crows would be in white or yellow jumpers tonight.
If you swapped the Navy and Red in your jumper it would probably work fine as a clash.

I think it's pretty ******* lazy that ISC have just supplied Port with last year's Showdown jumper.

Not the current template, nor is the current sponsor design accurate (yellow box, but it does look better fwiw) it's 2016, supply new 2016 jumpers.
I'm all for recycling but at the elite level they deserve better, and not every player was there last year.

Not a fan.

If the normal clash rules can be thrown out for most big 4 games and the Showdown, I'm not sure why the Western Derby can't have a more liberal application of the rules. Purple vs royal & gold would be comparatively fine.*

* clash rules should apply equally to all, however.

If the normal clash rules can be thrown out for most big 4 games and the Showdown, I'm not sure why the Western Derby can't have a more liberal application of the rules. Purple vs royal & gold would be comparatively fine.*

I can see the logic in that too - Crows/Port and Syd/GWS don't get the clash rules, which is consistent with other big rivalries. However it would surprise me if the AFL considers this as big a game as Collingwood/Essendon or Carlton/Richmond (remember they made Carlton v Richmond into a rivalry big enough to open every season!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought of this too. To be honest, as much as I don't like our white jumper, I like that there is contrast but if Adelaide and Port can wear home or near-home jumpers against each other, we should be able to do the same.

Does anyone know how they ordered the names on the WCE 30th Anniversary guernsey?

Doesn't look to be based on 1st games, guernsey numbers, alphabetical.

Does anyone know how they ordered the names on the WCE 30th Anniversary guernsey?

Doesn't look to be based on 1st games, guernsey numbers, alphabetical.
I believe it is this :

Game order. The inaugural game players are alphabetical. Any subsequent game with two or more debutants would also be alphabetical.

I believe it is this :

Game order. The inaugural game players are alphabetical. Any subsequent game with two or more debutants would also be alphabetical.

Yeah thanks. Was looking up the inaugural team & shows my memory was bad. Wrongly thought Brennan & Lamb didn't play the first game.

I feel like if it was a Crows v Hawks GF, that would conveniently stopped being a clash.

Not sure that would happen. As a neutral viewer, I'd prefer the crows chucking on the clash, that would be best case scenario.

If its Crows and Hawks in the GF, and we're the higher placed team but get forced to wear our clash because Hawthorn are too embarrassed to wear theirs, I'll be ******* ropeable!!

North's Guernsey looks glorious :)

Great look, but unfortunately for North they're 0/2 wearing the bounding roo this year.

If its Crows and Hawks in the GF, and we're the higher placed team but get forced to wear our clash because Hawthorn are too embarrassed to wear theirs, I'll be ******* ropeable!!
I'd be furious on your behalf too
I note that the neutral who made that comment was a tigers fan (a team with a history of not wearing or not having an appropriate clash to wear resulting in home teams having to wear our clashes against them )

Great look, but unfortunately for North they're 0/2 wearing the bounding roo this year.
Aww if only beauty on the field translated to a beautiful performance
My own team has a terrible record in *full royal* too
Conversely - we are unbeaten in the navy wings this year :)

To be fair, we played both games against top teams and lost by 9 both times, not a bad effort.

I saw a few bits of the Carlton - Demons match today and Melbourne wearing a white, throwaway clash jumper at the own home ground (and this isn't an Etihad team issue; fact is that's not a ground a club has only ever basically played on for 158 years) is wrong.

I hate their training looking, empty, dull clash strips. They get love on here but they're not iconic ala Carlton, they're just the new boring default, ala Hawthorn.

Why can't the Dees wear an inverse as their primary clash? They should try and uphold their home strip as much as possible as it's so iconic and old. I'd like to see them wear a red with navy yoke simply because people see it way way more 'Melbourne' – I mean Hawthorn's clash, North's, Richmond's... these are all coloured inverses that still have the personality and easily identifiable image of the team. To me, it's just weak. There is no reason why they can't wear red against Carlton, Richmond, the Bullies, Crows, Port Adelaide, Freo, West Coast...

They love the monogram and yeah sure, flaunt whatcha got gurl, so put it on the yoke or something, but a blank jumper with a monogram? No way.

Should pull out the old 60's (?) jumper with the light blue and lighter red for clashes and then back to their dark normal kit for the rest.

I saw a few bits of the Carlton - Demons match today and Melbourne wearing a white, throwaway clash jumper at the own home ground (and this isn't an Etihad team issue; fact is that's not a ground a club has only ever basically played on for 158 years) is wrong.

I hate their training looking, empty, dull clash strips. They get love on here but they're not iconic ala Carlton, they're just the new boring default, ala Hawthorn.

Why can't the Dees wear an inverse as their primary clash? They should try and uphold their home strip as much as possible as it's so iconic and old. I'd like to see them wear a red with navy yoke simply because people see it way way more 'Melbourne' – I mean Hawthorn's clash, North's, Richmond's... these are all coloured inverses that still have the personality and easily identifiable image of the team. To me, it's just weak. There is no reason why they can't wear red against Carlton, Richmond, the Bullies, Crows, Port Adelaide, Freo, West Coast...

They love the monogram and yeah sure, flaunt whatcha got gurl, so put it on the yoke or something, but a blank jumper with a monogram? No way.
I agree, and have said before, wear a royal blue version as an away top against Carlton, it's very close to their home top and they wore it as their home top for 15 years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back