Review Round 22, 2017 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Next season? Pretty confident Schache will be there next season. Drafting or trading in talls in my opinion shouldn't be our focus. Strengthen the midfield through the draft & maybe pick up a mature body midfielder to release Rocky into the forward line a bit will see us be far more potent.
I think as we have seen in the last couple of weeks the more midfield time our young guns can play the more time we can rest Beams in the forward line and this reaps us benefits on the scoreboard as well.

3 very big moments cost us.
Lewi Taylor not capitalising early in the 4th entry.
Mathieson kicking out on in the full to an uncontested Rockliff.
Mcstay letting the ball out the back to allow the Pederson goal.

That said, we were good today. Backline was solid and we looked dangerous going forward.
Lewy Taylor had Josh Walker all on his own ( and i mean all on his own ) in the goal square early in the last quarter. Your right this was a big moment. These are the things we need to tidy up in our game .Don't know whether he was having a shot or just missed the pass to him but directly after this melbourne scored 3 pretty quick goals.

A bit worrying about our KPF stocks in that we have the quantity but not necessarily the quality. On his current form Walker could have a long career (he's only 24 unbelievably) and Hipwood is obviously going to be a gun. But Hammelmann, Freeman and Close don't offer enough for my liking and are just very limited. We desperately need a 3rd tall to stand up next season for us to succeed. The back line looks pretty set at least.
Skinner as third?.. Watching Walker today reminded me of Carey.

Yeah agree mostly and all the other boys taken in this draft have exceeded expectations in my opinion and have been brilliant pick ups, but I guess it's worrying that the one we had invested the most currency in, is the one that seems to be the biggest gamble and have the most obscurity, particularly when compared with those taken around him. I don't want to knock kids prematurely because it's unfair, and to be honest it seems the development boys have got things bang on at the moment, so I'll trust them that they have recognised his potential.
Hope not another Aish but see ur concerns

I find it genuinely odd how people could be worried about Clugg. He was NEVER going to be a gun in his first year. Every club knew that. He has played some awesome games this year and some average, but there are so many signs showing the class and time he has on the field. Just because his body isn't built like Berry or Witherden it doesn't mean he is going to be the next Aish...

No one has commented that Martin murdered Gawn in the first half. I took great delight pointing out to my Melbourne mates that the best player, in the first half, was their other ruckman. Gawn is one of their stars and to towel him up comprehensively was something that no one would have thought possible.

Some have already mentioned it but I cannot stand sitting in the MCC members. They whinge incessantly about the umps to the exclusion of EVERYTHING else. Melbourne had 50% more frees in the first half, a stat that I brought up in one of the bars, just to inject some rationality into the discussion (of course they only wanted to speak about the umpires).

We competed well but their two key forwards kicked nine goals between them while ours kicked two. Next year, with some maturity in our key position players, and Schache getting over the second years blues, the story should be different.

Next week, meh, next year,bring it on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it genuinely odd how people could be worried about Clugg. He was NEVER going to be a gun in his first year. Every club knew that. He has played some awesome games this year and some average, but there are so many signs showing the class and time he has on the field. Just because his body isn't built like Berry or Witherden it doesn't mean he is going to be the next Aish...
Absolutely agree , he is still a skinny kid but has a great footy brain .
He is going to be a very good player .

Beams and Zorko are both elite footballers.
Bastinac has turned himself into a reliable sort and has become a goal kicking type.

I was one of Basti's biggest haters last season...and now, I actually have somewhat of a man crush on him. He always does good things with the ball, and is a laser in front of goal. What a turnaround. Very very happy that we have him in the lineup.

Loved Gardiner's game today. Thought Walker also played his role exceptionally well. Squizzy is becoming one of our most important players. Will avoid the spoon if we play like this next week. Look out kangas!
Gardiner was good all game & imo been pretty good all year. Walker did ok but flashed in & out a bit too much when we really needed him to do his thing all game as the most mature KPF on our list at 24 years old. If you summarise his year you would also say too inconsistent but his last few games have shown what he is capable of.....we just need him to perform 4 quarters. Sets himself up for a good year in 2018.

Not sure why McStay is getting votes when Pederson and Hogan dominated.
Thought Dan struggled in most contested situations yesterday & agree he was not anywhere near our best players for the day imo. Gardiner was good and Harris was (as always) in every contest with his best effort. Think the other defenders struggled with Melbourne's KPF's dominating.

If that proven thug doesn't get 2 or 3 for that deliberate, head high attack on Beam's scone then the MRP should be tossed away for something better.

And if you look closely, the reason Beam's reacted so strongly in the 1st Quarter was that he copped a sly hit to the midriff.

IMHO.

Anybody else see Garlett arrogantly tap Hipwood on the back of the head with the footy as he was walking up to take his free kick? What an absolute assh*le. Not sure if there are rules against that or not (there should be). Would have been lovely to see him stripped off his free kick before he took it!

Anybody else see Garlett arrogantly tap Hipwood on the back of the head with the footy as he was walking up to take his free kick? What an absolute assh*le. Not sure if there are rules against that or not (there should be). Would have been lovely to see him stripped off his free kick before he took it!

After Hipwood got a 50m penalty he sarcastically ruffled the infringing Melbourne player's hair.

Boys will be boys. Play on.

After Hipwood got a 50m penalty he sarcastically ruffled the infringing Melbourne player's hair.

Boys will be boys. Play on.

....which the commentators discussed saying it's 'simply not on'...yet completely ignored the tap on the head with the ball (which I think is worse). #doublestandards #melbournecentric

On McCluggage it was always a given that he would be one that would take more time to develop mainly due to his body size. He didn't do a pre-season at all in his u/18 year and therefore is coming from further back. I don't knock him on his lack of contested ball as I dont see him projecting as that type of player. He will in the future be the type who skirts just in the outside of packs looking for the delivery by others IMO but he will out on size, eventually. I disagree with his lack of ability as there have been things that he has done in games, mainly by hand at this point where you can see his class. It's his first season and think that most should relax and be patient. He's going to be a very good player but will take time, that is all. We're all so desperate for our young players to be stars straight away, which would be nice but I've never felt more confident in the crop of young players than I have for the last 5 years or more.
Agree 100% of your assessment of him. Noticed a few times yesterday (& previous games) that he was intimidated when he needed to impact a contested ball. He will be a much improved player with a full pre-season under his belt & a bit more strength. He has shown plenty for a 1st year player and we should all be excited with what he will bring in the future providing he continues to improve & develop. Think we expect far too much of our young 1st & 2nd year players. IMO they have well & truely over achieved while other "older" players like Close, Walker (earlier in the season) Lester, Cutler etc should have been leading the way with development having more years experience.. Its exciting for the future providing we keep these boys at the club & continue to get stronger, smarter & time under their belts. We need to be patient & enjoy witnessing the improvement like we have this year in 2018.

Thought Dan struggled in most contested situations yesterday & agree he was not anywhere near our best players for the day imo. Gardiner was good and Harris was (as always) in every contest with his best effort. Think the other defenders struggled with Melbourne's KPF's dominating.
McStay's form (and particular his body work in defence) has been on an upward trajectory this year, but the weekend was definitely a step back. There were times when he didn't even compete in the air. Throw in two critical turnovers in defence too... not sure where the admiration for his performance is coming from

I think Rocky deserves more credit for his game yesterday. He was instrumental in the second half and a major part of the reason we were still in it in the last quarter. He was playing deep forward so his stats weren't huge, but he was involved in all of our offensive plays. When he wasn't kicking goals himself he was setting them up. He got a vote from me

Back